Help me determine how to spend $1,500

You really canā€™t go wrong with the Elegia if the $426 deal comes up again. At that price youā€™re stealing from Focal lol.

2 Likes

You are getting an excellent headphone with a shit cable in return lol

1 Like

Iā€™m using the HP-3 cable on the focal. Seems fine. There is a meze noir cable on Amazon that works well enough.

Just giving everyone an update on where I stand as of now, with hopes that a few that have helped along the way will confirm this is the best course of action at this point.

I was able to find excellent prices on Amazon (directly from them) for a used set of DT 1990, HD660s (may go 6XX as returns are also free and itā€™s less up front cash) and Sundara. These ship prime and have free returns. I plan to purchase each of those headphones to compare their overall sound signatures.

I do need to pick up a stack/combo unit to run these and after reading through my options and also being in communication with Zach at ZMF itā€™s been suggested that the Element 2 would be a great pairing with the Aeolus if I end up that way, and I believe it would be an excellent unit with the other three I am purchasing to test. From what I understand unless I get into a very high end setup the Element 2 will be a great fit for me all things considered. Would you guys agree with this idea?

There are three potential issues with this that could throw a wrench in my decision.

First, someone has a beautiful pair of Auteur for sale on Reddit and in an email response from Zach he mentioned they could be a good option for me, and these were recommended here as well. Theyā€™re being sold for $1,300. This feels like a really good price? I feel pretty strongly that one of the ZMF products will work for me, just not sure which one. Is this worth jumping on?

Second is the pending availability of the Aeolus I was contacted about prior. I know, I know. Weā€™ve discussed this heavily already. There is just something about this brand that makes me want to own a set. That coupled with me perceiving their rarity on the used market, it adds a level of pressure when a pair shows up.

Third is the DAC/amp choice. I really donā€™t want to get into a cycle of buying/testing these over and over after Iā€™ve decided on what headphones to purchase and being transparent I donā€™t know that I will feel comfortable allocating the kind of cash to some of the products that @M0N suggested. Iā€™m absolutely positive they will sound amazing, I just honestly donā€™t want to have that kind of cash tied up on those components. $400-$700 all in for amp/DAC? Yeah I could probably do that. So the question lie in this, for the sake of my testing does it make sense to just simplify everything, pick up the Element 2 and call it a day OR should I find an inexpensive stack that I can also purchase from amazon for testing and simply return the whole setup after I am done so I can start fresh with a clean audio slate?

If anyone has product suggestions that I could purchase there via prime that would be amazing. I want to use them ideally for the speed of shipping/refunds and the ease of the entire process. I appreciate any input you all are able to offer!

Also @DagoRed how are the Eikonā€™s?!

1 Like

:+1::+1::+1::+1: very nice, curious to see what you think. Personally what I would suggest is to not get them all at one, and spend time with them exclusively before trying the next thing, as you donā€™t want to compare directly without spending a good amount of time alone with them

I would agree, it would give you quality versatile sound without breaking the bank or buying something too specific right away

Thatā€™s a good price, but I would actually offer around 1250 and see if they go for it. It should be pretty easy to sell afterwords if you arenā€™t a fan. I guess itā€™s up to you in what you want to do here

Also up to you, if you really want them that bad, no real harm in going for it. While I personally feel that something like the auteur/eikon is a much higher preforming set, depending on the price it could be reasonable. But personally I would still lean towards the higher end zmf

So this is a harder one. I think what you could do is stick with the element to actually get a closer representation of what they can do, and when you find the headphone you go with, you could use the element ii as a dac until you have the cash to sell the element ii and go for that higher tier dac

You can see here: šŸ”· ZMF Eikon

I will sayā€¦ ordered a new set of pads already (got the Suede, just ordered the lamb skin) but the RNHP has shown that tonely might bet the best damn amp in the price range. Eikons love the RNHP. The mic cable mod is solid and EXACTLY what I was looking for.

Right now itā€™s a matter of holding off on judgement since biocellulose drivers take some serious burn in time. Think baseball glove with them, yeah once the glove is broken in itā€™s useable, but a nicely warn glove over time just canā€™t be beatā€¦ same with these drivers. So itā€™s going to need 100 hours so of break in before Iā€™ll understand the true sound.

1 Like

If after all these peopleā€™s suggestions, you are still interested in a Element II, I am willing to sell mine if youā€™re interested.

1 Like

Haha leave it to McLovin to hang around the entire time and just strike while the iron is hot! Thatā€™s awesome! But yeah, Iā€™m interested. PM?

@M0N the Auteurā€™s sold so it looks like it is back to the original plan. Kinda disappointed. Oh well!

1 Like

Those look INSANE man! Absolutely gorgeous. I canā€™t wait to hear what you have to say about them once theyā€™re broken in.

You and me both! Theyā€™re sound much more natural as they break in. Iā€™ll admit, while waiting for these got the Diana Phi and those justā€¦ blow me away. Iā€™m having a feeling the headphones I have may cause a purge of sets like the NDH 20 and maybe even the Blon B20 and HP-3.

1 Like

Oh, on the topic of the RNHP, I went back and looked at the one that was offered to me for $375, he has very clearly in his listing that he upgraded the capacitors. is this a plus or minus for this?

I think you can ask for that amp at $300 unless he has pictures and tech specs of the capacitors. That amp doesnā€™t need capacitors.

This is the picture on his listing: https://imgur.com/4ZG2UVX

Okā€¦ just ask @ValentineLuke look about his RNHP for sale and be happy.

Stupid question, but is there a classifieds section on this site? Iā€™ve looked and somehow canā€™t find it. Are you saying he has one for sale? Tempted to go with that if Iā€™m ending likely to end up with ZMF

Sort of :+1:ā€¦

2 Likes

Thank you!

1 Like

So imo I think itā€™s a bit risky since you donā€™t know if it was a quality mod, you remove any chance of having it under warranty or service later on, and the mod will change the sonic signature, which could be good or bad. Personally I wouldnā€™t go for a modded unit unless you are extremely confident in the mod and the modder. As @DagoRed mentioned, @ValentineLuke is selling his rnhp, as is @FiCurious, so I would see if you can get a good deal from them if you were interested in a rnhp. Also I would agree with dago in that the rnhp does pair very well with the eikon/auteur if you want something more neutral and refined while remaining organic. But you get less impact compared to other amps in the range imo (still very good pairing though for sure and this can be a bit more offset with a dac with good punch and impact)

1 Like

So keep in mind this is based on me testing these other three headphonesā€¦ But assuming I come back from this experience with a sound signature preference that matches up well with something like the Aeolus, what kind of pairing would you suggest for that?

I will happily buy the best setup for me once I get to test these. If itā€™s totally the other way from ZMF then okay, but I just like to know my options and what makes the most sense for me. I will say, Iā€™ve been communicating with Zach about a set of headphones and he feels that the Aeolus would serve me better for gaming and the music I listen to then the Auteur would all things considered.

Honestly, put the Focal Elegiaā€™s on that list. Theyā€™re not amp picky, play nice with the RNHP, would work great for gaming. Trade up for the ZMFā€™s because if youā€™re that serious about your setup, having a custom card coming with your hand made headphones with your name on it is an AWESOME experience.

1 Like