Help me determine how to spend $1,500

1. it’s not slander if it’s true.
  2. after the first time you recommend something (RNHP + Bifrost 2 for me) the experience is like a drug and we come back for another fix.

It’s what happens when solid advice is given in a friendly and constructive manner.

4 Likes

I cant really think about more options. Buy the DT 1990 and at least one more because the DT shoves Details into me but i cant listen to it for more than 1 hour. Some people friggin love it. After you received review them here and i think there will be way more ground to work with enough to Return them.

Ah yes remember to buy from different companys hehe.

1 Like

Yeah, I have to say, the speed of response and thoroughness you guys have shown me is awesome. I’m used to throwing something like this up and it taking days for responses. Instead I jumped into a full blown conversation, which is great!

My head is still spinning with all of these options and I really need to find a way to work my way through this, with everyone’s help. I think the best plan might be to make use of my Prime account and simply try 2-3 different headphones and discuss it with the people here to find a sound signature I really like. Hopefully from there we can land on the perfect higher end option that I can just go with.

Perhaps also consider like a hifiman sundara for a more neutral good example of what a planar can do imo, then a warmer headphone, like possibly try a 660s. Or replace the sundara with an elegia if you can still find one of the under 500 deals

2 Likes

What do you think about DT 1990, Sundara and HD 600’s to start? Would this cover my bases well enough to get us to the next step?

Edit: Just saw you added on to your comment!

1 Like

That would cover your bases very well imo. Although honestly all of those headphones are pretty neutral, I might suggest swapping the 600 with a 6xx/650 or 660s to get a warmer option in there

1 Like

Actually not bad even a Planar in there.
Is DT1990 really neutral? I must be a warm-winger then. Feels like its trying to kill ne.

1 Like

Sorry I tend to do that alot lol

Honestly, pc37x only for starters. Then figure out a DAC amp. Given the eagerness and gaming focus, Mayflower Arc MK 2. If that doesn’t scratch the itch, focal has options and honestly the Elegia’s are a way to get LCD X like sound without the harsh treble some complain about (I don’t on the LCD X). From there… A lot of experience and information will be gained without going terribly deep and under budget.

The pc37 has pushed treble right? For better footsteps.
Doesnt that go Bad for music im Not Sure tho

Mid forward and pleasant treble. Bass is there but doesn’t have the slam or impact. Sound stage is on the narrow side for imaging. The imaging is superb!

Main reason for the pc37x… It’s the most comfortable headphones I can say I’ve worn near 14 hours straight. Long cable + volume control makes it oddly versatile.

I do already own an external mic, so that functionality isn’t important to me, just FYI. I understand the headphone component is the most important part.

Otherwise, I think I have a couple options I can go with here and will sleep on it tonight. Hopefully I can wake up to further discussion tomorrow and I can start making some progress towards finding the perfect audio setup for the long haul!

1 Like

You cant do that. You have to pull him down into the hole with us.
Doomed to travel broke forever.

2 Likes

You need to see this. Reason's why I'm glad I won't see Zeos at a bar

“Some say the road to hell is paved with pure audiophile enthusiasts”

3 Likes

Wow this is absolutely perfect! The one good thing about me is that once I’ve decided on something and purchased it, I tend not to constantly revisit things over and over. I’ll only end up with one pair of headphones like this (wired, for at home listening) because that’s how I feel I will best justify the expense.

Anyway, thanks for all of the help tonight guys. I’ll look into these options further and hope I can make a decision here in the next few days on what to do.

What is that zeos what the…

One other offer I have if like to run by you all, I was offered the RNHP for $375 shipped the other day. Reading back through your suggestions M0N it feels as though this is a very desirable amp, and judging from other sale prices this seems favorable. Does it make sense to snag this as a building block for the final setup? Or is it questionable enough based on me needing to find the desired signature that I should pass?

Thanks all!

M0N the M0D i have to Research that RNHP i often read about it from him

Rnhp is a great amp, but not sure if its something you would want to start with for experimenting. Asgard3 is probably your best bet imo, and would work with a lot of headphones. Especially the Sundaras, dt1990, and 6xx/650/660s i cant say for sure the rnhp is the “best” option for those headphones, but im sure they will sound great with them, just maybe the a3 could give them some more impact. Thats just my experisnce, but I could be wrong. :slight_smile:

Pretty solid deal imo, just make sure it hasn’t been modded in a weird way

It could be, but by buying the rnhp you kinda automatically narrow down your headphone choices later on unless you sell it (but at 375 it should be an easy sell without loss). Like I don’t think the rnhp is a best match for a sundara or the larger driver hifiman, and I don’t think the LCD 2 or 3 would be my first choice on there either, but the focals and lcd x would be pretty excellent on there imo, as would the auteur and eikon (as long as impact isn’t a priority)

So the 1990s and 660s/650/6xx are very good pairings with the rnhp, but I agree the sundara could use more juice where the a3 is a better match with it

1 Like