Help me spend $500 - $1,000 (i.e looking for IEM recommendations)

Hello all. This is my first post, so I hope I have put it in the correct section and provided adequate information. I need help deciding on some new IEMs.

Budget: I would like to stay around $500, but I’d entertain options up to ~$1K if there was a very compelling argument.

Music: I primarily listen to EDM with lots of bass/sub bass. Examples would include “Stronger” by TheFatRat, “Exhale” by Zhu, and “Zurna” by TroyBoi. I do occasionally listen to other genres (classical, electro-swing, jazz, and audio books), but 90% of the time it’s EDM.

Source: These would mostly be used with a FiiO BTR7 while traveling. They may occasionally be used at my (home) desk and connected to a Topping A90D/D90 stack.

Target Preferences: I’m looking for something with a decent bass emphasis and which conveys good bass texture. I’m somewhat sensitive to treble, so I don’t want anything that might come across as harsh. I’d be willing to run EQ if needed. My main headphone at the moment is the Hifiman Arya Stealth. I found the Arya to be a little lacking in the sub bass and a little crunchy on snare hits. I have EQ’ed the Arya to the Harman target with an additional -0.5 dB/Octave tilt, and this has generally made it more pleasant to listen to. Prior to the Arya, my main was a pair of HD650s connected to a Bottlehead Crack OTL with Speedball upgrade. I liked the warm and laid back sound of that combination, but always wanted more low end and better separation and sound stage. My current IEMs are the Etymotic ER4XRs. I don’t have any issue with the treble on Etymotics, and I think they provide good positioning/imaging. My biggest issue with them is that I find the fit uncomfortable after 1-2 hours, and the cable connections tend to cut out if they aren’t held in just the right angle (already replaced the cable once).

Other considerations: Since these will be travel/office IEMs a bit of isolation would be good. I don’t expect anything to isolate quite as much as the triple-flange Etys, but the more the better. My final concern is fitment. As noted, I find the Etys uncomfortable for long-term wear. I’m using the “small” triple flange tips and still find them to be a snug fit. I believe I have relatively small ear concha/canals.

Contenders: From my research, I think my top contender would be the Xenns Mangird Tops. I would likely turn these into a custom fit with a pair of adv-sound custom fit tips. The reviews indicate that they have good bass (more than the Variations) and Zeos described them as laid back. This sounds like a good combination to me. The other IEMs I have considered are the IE600, SA6 MKII, Monarch MKIII, and the Maestro Mini. I’m probably more interested in the Maesto Mini and Monarch MKIII as alternatives. My concern with the Maestro is that it might be too extreme, and the novelty would wear off after a while. The Monarch MKIII, on paper, looks similar to the Tops with a bit more and smoother treble, but I’m not sure if that justifies the 2x price tag.

Should I go for the Tops or should I be considering the Monarch or Maestro? Is there something else I might have overlooked?

Thanks in advance.

2 Likes

Welcome to HFGF. Here are some suggestions:

1. If you want something that is the beginning and the end of the game and that goes up to $1500 in specs with a unique bass texture, tight and punchy bass but very controlled, this is the SR DTE900. The insulation is better than the others I will mention. The resolution is also much better than many other IEMs and is top notch, including the IE600. You will be able to hear everything on the record, absolutely everything! The treble is tastefully done and it’s up to you whether you like the sound signature. The dynamics are exceptional. I will do a review for the DTE900 soon.
  2. If you want timbre, coherence of DD, as well as very technically single DD, this is IE600. There is also good sub-bass, but not as much as the FR shows. Stage is smaller than the other three offerings here. The separation is not very good, the images are not very good for the asking price!
  3. If you want a versatile, slightly smoother but fun IEM, this is the Mon MK3. Fit may be on the larger side.
  4. Mangird TOP, it’s good, but think about the above suggestions. :notes: :wink:
3 Likes

Thanks for the suggestion. I will have a look at the DTE900 even if it is a bit outside what I planned to spend.
I really did consider the IE600, and I think drop has it on sale for a good price. It looks to be on the smaller side, and I know it is rated pretty highly for comfort. I assumed that the single DD design was a detriment, but I wasn’t considering coherence. It’s disappointing to hear that the separation isn’t great. I could live with the smaller sound stage, but I do enjoy good separation.

2 Likes

The DTE900 is $749. The IE600 is $700, but it’s on sale now and is a good deal, but not at the level of the DTE900! But yeah, you can’t go wrong with the IE600, it’s one of my favorite IEMs in my collection.

2 Likes

I would suggest Campfire Holocene for a detail but dynamic music enjoyement
Ikko Oh5 for a fun, relax and long session.
Moondrop Variations/Fiio Fh9 as an all-rounder.

1 Like

I second the DTE900, although given you say you use small tips and have small ears, comfort may be an issue. I ended up having to sell mine solely due to discomfort… Having said that, i tend not to cope well with the more custom molded iems, usually universals work better for me, so that might differ for your ears.

The set itself got me out of looking for another set. I was content. It’s almost a perfect IEM for me, not sure how they manage to get that quality bass and still retain details and resolution in the mids and treble. I’ve been in contact with Sound Rhyme about maybe getting a custom dte900 in a different shell, just because I miss the set and love the sound. They said no problem, we’ll make it happen for you - their customer support on AliExpress is wonderful.

Can’t speak for the ie600, but Xenns Top is also a great set. Had it before i wanted to try something new, and I have been on the lookout for a while now for something similar. My only gripe with the Top was it’s bass, although big and fun, was a bit boomy/uncontrolled. Had it been tighter it would have been perfect as an allrounder. All day comfort for me without issue also. I do think the price on it retail is a bit high though. I imagine Monarch MK3 is literally the Xenns Top, but perfected (albeit larger)

If you are willing to wait for more reviews, I would look for ThieAudio Hype 4 reviews. It graphs almost identical to Xenns Top and Monarch MK3 (which I sorely want, but am scared of fit issues). It’s a cheaper option than Top, but with seemingly the same bass drivers as the MK3, but it’s quite a bit smaller. I ordered one, and it should arrive on Monday. If you’d like, I can comment more after I’ve given it some ear time:)

4 Likes

I can probably hold out till Monday :).

I have had quite a few recommendations for the Monarch MK3 from another forum. I think that may be the current front runner.

Has anyone compared the DTE900 to the MK3?

1 Like

If you think the MMK3 will fit you, I’d say it’s the safer choice, of the two

@Dan_X is your man(_X) for a comparison

2 Likes

DTE900 hits above the price, it is more cost-effective because of the four sound profiles, but it is more aggressive. Mon MK3 I guess is right in its price range and is the safer choice according to reviews and FR. I guess the DTE900 is much more technical, but the Mon MK3 if you don’t want to risk the tuning.

2 Likes

Are you willing to go used…opens up a lot of possibilities…I have both the Top and Mk3…the three is better IMO but is it twice as good as the Top…that’s debatable

If you could swing the Mk3…do it…but you won’t be disappointed with the Top

Fuck it…buy both…sell the one you like less…the only way to really tell is to listen to both

One of the downsides to this hobby…I’ve personally lost thousands for this expensive addiction

4 Likes

That is the problem with this hobby $_$. I will probably end up buying the MK3s. I try to buy once and cry once, but it’s hard when there is ALWAYs something better to be had. Zeos’s review of the Prestige LTD was really having me second guess the MK3s lol. Felt the same way after getting the A90D and then reading review after review saying it wasn’t as holographic as brand xyz.

3 Likes

I have the Hype 10 on order…Linsoul time frame…which means awhile

100 bux less than the three…if you’re willing to wait a couple weeks I’ll let you know what I think…but remember…as always…it’s just my opinion…your mileage may vary

In the end you’re kinda on your own…sorry to say

2 Likes

I’ve had the dte900 and now own the mmk3.

If you asked me I’d choose the mmk3. - but that’s me, as it suits my preferences better.

The dte900 is an excellent iem in its own right, and some people will no doubt prefer it.

Ultimately it’s down to what you prefer, in terms of tuning.

The mmk3 has cleaner mids with really well emphasised treble extension.

The dte900 has thicker, lusher mids with less energy above 10k.

Both have really good bass. The dte900 has more midbass, whereas the mmk3 has more sub bass.

To my ears, they’re both bassy sets.

4 Likes

Thanks for replying Dan_X. That is a helpful direct comparison.
I think I will take sub bass over mid bass. I think I’m pretty set on the MMK3 at this point. Now I just need to figure out if custom plates are worth the extra money and wait time.

4 Likes

I have the disco plates.

Are they worth the additional premium? Not really.

Do I regret it? Nope - they look fantastic!

GMP_U2F2ZUdIMDE=
GMP_U2F2ZUdIMDE=

8 Likes

Ha, that is exactly the one I was eyeing. $150 for the upgrade is crazy, but man they look pretty.

1 Like

I’d take a look at the Ztuned nanna’s as well. They have sweet non hash highs that you’re looking for, detailed mid range and plenty of clear detailed bass. The best part is they go on sale about once a quarter for around $570.

I would also put the DTE900 in there and Oriveti OH700VB as well

5 Likes

Thank you everyone for your suggestions. I have pulled the trigger on the Monarch MK3s with the Disco plates (thanks for the pics Dan_X). I’ll update this thread when they arrive to let you know what I think about the fit and sound.

Thanks again everyone.

8 Likes

Nice congratulations :tada:

2 Likes