Help on getting first DAC

Gotcha. Then what headphone would I be looking at after the DT1990? I’m not going to get anything soon but maybe a year from now. Granted in a year there are going to be a lot of headphones coming out.

There are alot of paths you can take tbh, and also yeah future headphones that we don’t know lol. The 1990 isn’t that amp picky and will run just fine off of the heresy. Also the dac in your scarlett is just fine as well. I think that if you wanted to mix it up you could get a tube amp like the darkvoice 336se imo, but I would hold off on getting a dac atm tbh

I’m actually kind of shocked that i don’t really have to worry about a DAC. I thought that the DAC played a bigger role in sound. So why is a DAC not really as important?

It plays a huge role in the sound lol, but the thing is that a good cheap dac isn’t hard to find anymore, so it’s not something most people need to spend a lot on. It’s not that it’s not important, its just that getting a good dac is not a hard thing and you don’t need to spend a ton to get a good dac

Thanks! I’ll take a look at it.

So now my question is at what point should i start looking into a DAC?

I think if you decide to step up another level for your amp, perhaps looking at a dac like the enog2, smsl su8, or topping d50s might be worthwhile (the su8 is my pick). Also it depends on what type of sound you are after and how much you are willing to spend to get that. It’s pretty hard diminishing returns after that for a dac. You just want to use your money effectively so you get a good sound per dollar and have a nice balanced system

As long as you don’t need a USB input.

Very true lol. Worst comes to worse you could get a usb to toslink

1 Like