Help this broke newb into the Audio World

As someone who actually owned both & is sensitive to treble - I cannot confirm at all.

okidoke, i’m outta here before the brand & name dropping gets messy :kissing_heart:

Should be able to post again

1 Like

Thanks M0N! :relaxed:

1 Like

Hey don’t fight lol. We all have different taste and sound reception (if that’s even a thing) is completely subjective. I’d be ideal if I could try both and decide, but we don’t have stores to do some sort of live demo l where I live… sighs

Oh @Deleeh @schmu I forgot to mention that I, in fact, do wear glasses though, so maybe that changes your recommendations?

1 Like

No I wear glasses myself and have no problems with the emu.All good.

1 Like

Got it, thanks! I’m still stuck between those two headphones though. Need more people to mediate lol.

I wear glasses too.
Have fun with whatever you’re going with!
Try to not overthink it too much tho. You can read some reviews on Drop about the Purpleheart & somewhere else about the AKG stuffs. Lots of impressions there.
If you wait a bit longer I’m sure other people will recommend other headphones aswell :wink:

2 Likes

Yeah I’ll wait a few more days, and also check those reviews. Thank you!

https://www.amazon.com/Meze-Neo-Headphones-Silver-Black/dp/B06XKJ2GK4

This would be my go to for 200$ no amp needed. I’d choose these over any of the others mentioned but that’s my opinion.

2 Likes

How would you say is their sound signature? I like bass, but moderately, not so much that overpowers the rest of the frequencies, mids are important too. Also, does it have good noise isolation? Does it matter that I wear glasses?

I’d say these have pretty nice noise isolation. These are in the slightly bassy side (perfect amount of bass imo). The mids are pretty warm and smooth. The highs are slightly lacking imo but they do have good presence. I don’t wear glasses so I can’t comment, but they should be fine. From sound graphs and just seeing talk of the k361 (I’ve only tried the meze) the k361 seems to have a more flat sound signature with less bass. Comparing the sound demos of the 99 and the k361, I’d choose the meze as it has more character imo.

1 Like

Good to know, I’ll take it into consideration!

Can be a problem with some headphones. In most cases it does not matter and in some rare ones, it breaks the bass response.

From experience, HD 280 Pro’s become uncomfortable after 30-ish minutes. AudioTechnia M40x after about two hours.

That said, AudioTechnica M40x may work for you. If you felt like modding them (= swapping earpads), Yaxi makes some that fit. Can’t comment on them as I rarely wear my M40x’s for long stretches at a time.

Price, Soundstage and Closed back in my (limited) experience are a pick two decision.

If the headphone you decide on has a 3.5mm (1/8") jack, then you can buy something like the V-Moda BoomPro or Beyerdynamic Headset Gear. The Beyerdynamic is the clear winner of the two, costs considerably more too.

Because these are going to be my first pair of headphones, I don’t think I want to dive into the modding world just yet… Maybe for my upgrade in the future where I can spend more freely on those things.

Also, as I said on my post, I’ll be using them for long periods because of online classes, so comfort is a deal-breaker for me due to the fact that I plan on having them for as long as possible before making an upgrade.

Yeah I’ll probably buy a mic like those, thanks for the recommendation.

Hi @schmu @MazeFrame @Deleeh @2ape2escape @MrSushi @M0N

Looking at other entry level audio recommendations from other posts, people seem to also mention:

• Cooler Master MH751 / Takstar Pro 82
  • Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro (16Ω, 80Ω or 250Ω)
  • Sivga SV006

What are your thoughts on these? Do they fit in what I’m looking for?

I heard DT-770’s in the 250 Ohm variant. They are comfortable, especially the head pad. Never had a new set on my ears, so there may be some breaking in required with earpads and headpad.

Sound is very V-shaped (= elevated bass and treble). The treble was too sharp for my liking. Mids are as they should be, were lacking in detail when I heard them (probably because of me not having a proper amplifier at the time). Bass is good, neither lacking nor overwhelming.

You will not get good sound out of the DT-770 250 Ohm from onboard.

I have not heard the other ones.

1 Like

I see, thanks for the info!

Hello,
I have the Dt 770 here myself and prefer the Emu Purpleheart.
My wife likes the Dt 770 and left it to her, but when she saw the Emu Purpleheart she was jealous just looking at it and even more when she had it on and heard the sound.

But she is happy with the Dt 770, she still likes it.
If I were to seduce her with the Emu, I’m sure she’d want it.

I thought the Dt 770 was OK at first, but the peak was annoying. The comfort is good, though, which is why my wife likes it so much, because sometimes it helps her sleep better.

I haven’t heard the Cooler Master or the Sivga.
I can’t say too much.
Except that I have totally distanced myself in terms of gaming headsets.
Because everything is mostly plastic and has a terrible tuning. In addition, most are broken after a maximum of two years.
The most sensible one for gaming was the Beyerdynamic custom game, but it was borderline for music, although I found it good for gaming.

I haven’t read enough about the Sivga and I’ve hardly heard anything about it.

I’ve heard the Purpleheart can be uncomfortable after a while because they’re basically on-ear rather than over-ear, is this true?

What resistance variant do you have, can run well without amp and can the treble peak be fixed? Like with a system EQ or something like that? Also, are good with glasses?

1 Like