Help with finding new IEM

I really like this take, I am just scared of that fit since I have been using customs for a while, but sonically, it might be the way to go. Mind if I ask what music you listen to? And would you say your ears are average size? Do you still listen to your Andros after owning the Z1R or in other words?

Just a couple more well rounded TOTL reviews

2 Likes

So, I absolutely still go back to the andromedas. I don’t think I could get rid of them. They’re special. But they’re not my every day IEMs anymore. Below is some stuff I listen to. Usually well produced Alternative R&B, Hip Hop, soul here and there, soft rock. I love deep and pronounced bass lines and lively percussion. And just open production where artists, especially singers, have room to really show their voices in different pockets and pitches… Same goes for my hip hop choices. My vibes below…

⁃	Snoh Aalegra - Whoa
⁃	Bas - Live For
⁃	Teyana Taylor - Concrete
⁃	Lenny Kravitz - Low
⁃	Nakala - Paris
⁃	Gallant - Bourbon
⁃	Gallant - Jupiter Grayscale 
⁃	Ro James - Plan B
⁃	Ro James - Rose
⁃	Chris Brown - No Exit
⁃	Lupe Fiasco - Happy Timbuck 2 Day
⁃	Freddie Gibbs - Andrea 
⁃	Rihanna - Yeah, I Said It

Oh man, yeah I like both your music and Chocolate_Bear’s music. I have narrowed it down to the Legend X and the Z1R. The only thing holding me back with the Z1R is the comfort. With the Legend X, I can get it custom. Thank you all for the help!

2 Likes

DAMNIT, now I want the Z1R!!! :stuck_out_tongue:

It looks like it’s either going to be Z1R’s or Eikon’s next year.

1 Like

:joy::joy: they’re dangerous man!!! With them on one end of the spectrum and the Andro on the other, The thrill of the chase is gone. I feel like a quitter lol

2 Likes

One other possibility is the Advanced Acoustic Werkes Canary…this set went 10 rounds with BGGAR’s beloved Z1r’s, it offers plenty of bass and my well fit better than the afore mentioned Z1r’s.

Oh man, if the chase is gone, I’ll be so happy. Not that I don’t enjoy this hobby, but it gets really expensive

I bought the Z1R, I’ll let you all know what I think when I get it

1 Like

Unfortunately I saw this too late before I bought the Z1R, if I am not a fan of the Z1R where I need to return it (like if it doesn’t fit), I’ll definitely look into the Canary

1 Like

Hopefully the Z1r’s a good fit :+1: I was hoping to try them and the A8000 at this years CanJam but due to you know what our tickets have been rolled over for next years one in July :grimacing:
I’ll just have to wait till then as i’m not willing to punt £2k without at least a listen.

I know there are some CanJams rescheduled to the end of this year, but might be a bit risky and still unsure if it will for sure happen. But I feel you, I wouldn’t have gotten the Solstice/Andromeda without hearing it at CanJam. Some guy my age said he bought the JH16 while I had the Westone ES50 and was like don’t buy this, go listen to the Andromeda and have been thankful ever since. Shows how much you learn from just listening to all the gear compared to what people say online

Yep this hobby is so subjective and personal when it comes down to sound signatures etc, plus iem’s probably have more fit issues than HP’s.
Plus most iem’s are of such low impedance that a good match Dac/Amp wise also comes into the equation especially with TOTL sets.

I’d say it is much easier to find a amp/dac for an TOTL IEM than a headphone. Even TOTL IEMs can sound great out of just a phone, depending on your phone of course.

Also fit of custom IEMs are amazing!

Agreed, but quite a few Amps do cause hiss with sensitive iem’s yeah sure you can get something like iFi’s Ear Buddy but some say this can effect the overall sound?..One thing about the Micro is the back ground is silent (to my ears anyhow) even without iem match.

It seems a lot of the iem reviewers use a Hugo2 which if I don’t get any iem’s will probably be my next purchase.

Oh true, I think I just always was an IEM person so I would first check which amp/dacs were good for IEMs. I know with my JDS Element II and LG G7, there is no background noise with any of my TOTL including Andromeda. Isn’t the Huge2 considered to make things sound slightly brighter or almost too detailed? If that’s you’re thing go for it, but just keep it in mind

It seems they like it with iem’s? @11.20

2 Likes

Got the IER-Z1R today and I got to say, I am mixed. These are just brief impressions, so opinions can change. First, I got to say the packaging is really special unlike a lot of high end IEMs that I have seen.

If I had to describe the sound, it is balanced (not neutral). Sonically, if I had to choose one earphone to keep out of the many IEMs I have heard, I would choose these due to how versatile they are. They are on the warmer side and slightly v-shaped, but they remind me of a headphone sound if that is even a good way to describe it. They don’t sound as intimate as the Andromedas/Solstice, so I would still listen to both actually. These are definitely not bass head earphones as I thought from some people’s reviews. If I had to pick a weakness to these, it is male vocals, but that is being picky. Definitely worth the purchase if they fit.

Now the issue that a lot of people talk about is the fit. And yeah, they aren’t great (keep in mind this is my first day with them so ears might need to adjust). I can get them in to fit fine and sit okay, but the weight is what makes them uncomfortable for me. They stick out of your ear a bit so the back weight makes them uncomfortable for my ear canal and tragus (some part of your ear that you might need to look up). I have averaged sized ears. I have only been able to listen to them for about an hour at a time or a bit longer if I take some breaks. My ears feel tender right now.

Would I keep these? Right now, actually probably not since after trying this, I realized that I am looking for a earphone with more bass quantity, so I might go for the Legend X since it is on sale for this weekend. I am looking for custom tips first though and I’ll see if that could do the trick for the IER-Z1R. If my ears can’t adjust to the comfort of these, it is unfortunately a deal breaker especially after primarily using customs. Another route I might go down is look at Sony’s Just Ear line, but not sure if that is available to do from here in the US.

1 Like

A buddy mine was interested in trying the Valkyrie so was able to try it, I would say very comfortable, but wouldn’t recommend it for the price. Also there are deals for the weekend for Empire Ears as an fyi

1 Like

HAHA, I was just on the Empire Ears website to check out the sale. It looks like estats are a thing with Chi-fi these days, so may wait for more reviews before exploring. At least the Valkyrie’s look pretty, I guess? In other news, Thieaudio oddly put out 8 and 9 driver (estat, BA, and DD) IEMs on Linsoul. I just don’t understand why they would do that?

1 Like