Help with New Setup

I am trying to make my audio battle station a reality, and would appreciate everyone’s help.

I have 2 audio sources
-computer (connected with USB/Opt)
-record player(connected with RCA)
2 ways of listening
-active speakers (connecting with RCA
-headphones (we are all headphone lovers afterall)
AMP and DAC
-Aune x8

-THX 789

I’m new to hooking up these many things, and want to make sure I do this right the first time.

To just make things easier instead of buying splitters and adapters. You might just wanna get a schiit sys or jds labs switcher. Both are like $50 each.

Because your record player only has an RCA out, you will need a switch of some kind. One nice option that will give further expandability is this one which I own.

https://www.amazon.com/TC-7240-Router-Switcher-Selector-Splitter/dp/B00KDQXITG?ref_=fsclp_pl_dp_13

Do you need the preamp function on your X8?

I believe so…(still very new and this is my first setup)
I was planning to connect my thx 789 and my active speakers with rca

Also, while that switch looks great…that is far more inputs than I need

The preamp is only is only needed if you want to control the volume on your active speaker using the X8 knob. But that won’t help you with controlling the volume on the record player. Does your record player have volume control?

It does not have volume control, while my active speakers do

If your fine controlling the volume that way, then you don’t need to worry about the preamp output. You can just use the line out.

So, I would
-preamp output my turntable
-split line out between speakers and to amp

Correct?

I’m not sure what you mean by this.

You want to have the record player available to the amp and speakers right? And the DAC available to the amp and speaker right? In that you will need a simple RCA switch like this one. Though I’d get a different model.

https://www.amazon.com/Nobsound-Audio-Switcher-Selector-Splitter/dp/B07CKK7J2L/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=Nobsound+Little+Bear+MC1022+Mini&qid=1590418203&sr=8-1

Have your record player and DAC going into the switch. feed the output of the switch to the 789. Use the pass through on the 789 on your speakers and you should be good. Although bear in mind you’d always be feeding signal to the speakers regardless of whether your using the 789

1 Like

I have the Schiit sys and use it to switch the signal from my tt/schiit mani and my digital source into my powered monitors. I like it and it’s a clean solution for my speaker setup.

As soon as you responded, I realized what I said made no sense (brain fart)

I was thinking about using the THX as the amp for my turntable (don’t like its internal amp)

It looks like I will be looking at the schiit, just wish it came in black…