Here are my options. What should i get?

You recommend the monitor se atom over the JBL 306p MK2?

Hmmm, I like both, I was just noting that itā€™s a good option if you want to go passive speakers. Both are fairly neutral in response, but the atom might be a bit more pleasurable in music than the jbl, but for studio I would still most likely take the jbl

Oh man this is a tough choice now. I watched zeos video and he has high praises for the se atoms. If i went the se atom route, what amp would I need to power those?

The topping pa3 would be a great choice if you wanted something clean to get the job done, would stack with the d10 as well

Alright for sure. I donā€™t know which speakers Iā€™m gonna go with yet because I really like them both equally but as you said before, the JBL fit my needs more. Thanks a lot tho again. Youā€™ve been a huge help. Should I be concerned about the hissing issues those JBLā€™s have?

Some will hiss, but others wonā€™t. Also good grounding and isolation will help with noise if it happens as well

Alright M0N I did a bit more research and I found some new contenders. Thoughts on the PSB Alpha p3 and the Infinity R162? How do these compare do the JBL or the Paradigms?

Hmm also great speakers.

I do like the infinity but imo they donā€™t preform as well on a desk as they do in a room (imo they would most likely outperform the atom and 306 in a room but not on a desk), itā€™s a balanced nice speaker.

The psb is a solid contender. Itā€™s not as neutral as the atom but imo most likely more enjoyable and just as capable, itā€™s a pretty nice speaker. I would most likely still end up picking the atoms for myself because of their a bit better performance on a desk vs the alpha

Oh ok gotcha. Yea I was just looking into them and wanted your insight. Iā€™m still torn between the Atoms or the JBL 306. Both are great speakers. I found the atoms on amazon for $238 for the pair while the JBL are $288.

Just make sure to factor in the added cost of a toppping pa3, which will turn $238 into $338 for the atoms.

So what are your upgrade plans down the line if you have any? Passive speakers can be more flexible in use and allow for more options, but with powered you donā€™t have to deal with amp pairings in the future

Oh thatā€™s right. Also then the JBLā€™s would then be $288 then with the topping D10 would make it around the $400 range. Well that was a factor I was actually considering with the atoms is that I can upgrade more down the line with maybe a sub or an amp. What would you recommend?

Depends on how you would feel about the Adams, you could perhaps get something like the jbl studio 530 which are sweet speakers or perhaps go a different route like some Klipsch rp600m which are pretty fun, perhaps or like some speakers with a nice amt tweeter. You can go for similar upgrade options for powered speakers in the future as well, but you canā€™t mix and match amps and speakers like you can with separate components.

Sub wise I would say if you wanted one now, you could grab something like the bic f12, but I would suggest waiting until you get around the 500 range where you have much more solid options

Yea definitely going the passive speaker route gives me a lot more flexibility to upgrade in the future to get those speaker upgrades you mentioned as well so thatā€™s something Iā€™ll factor in. I guess it really just comes down to whether or not I want to be able to upgrade in the future. I mean should I go with either speaker, wonā€™t be a while till I would have to upgrade right?

Yea I think Iā€™ll definitely wait and save up for a really good sub around $500.

Imo yes as long as you like the sound of it

The 306p if you go that route have a matching sub thatā€™s pretty nice, easy to integrate in the future

Say I do go the Atom route, all Iā€™d need is the speakers, the topping pa3, and what else?

The speakers, pa3, and a dac like the d10 or other dac. That would be all you would need to get up and running, besides speaker cable and a pair of shorter rca cables

Could I maybe just go with an all in one in the SMSL AD18?

You could, but you are taking a drop in amp and dac quality. But it would get the job done for sure

Also I think the ad18 has been replaced by the SA300

I think Iā€™ll opt for the quality in amp and dac over saving $50. I think Iā€™m gonna go with the Paradigms.

1 Like

:+1::+1: hope you enjoy them, curious to see your thoughts!