Hey peeps, help me find a DAP

Looking for a high end portable storage/player. Will be using external DAC and amp. Just need something with tons of storage that has coax or USB digital out. Audio quality is top priority - bells and whistles matter not. TIA

Oh yeah, don’t know if it’s possible but being able to control it via my phone would be a big bonus.

iBasso DX160 measures the best of all DAPs I know. Even better than M15. Noise floor is inaudible or very little even with the most sensitive IEMs.

But audio quality is subjective. M15 has a high current mode which is very helpful for Planars. It’s warmer, too.

Just don’t waste your money on M11 or M11 pro since DX160 is better than both of them. Unless you really want two SD Card slots.

1 Like

I bought the Shanling M1 many years ago for that exact purpose.

• USB digital out
  • Micro SD card (was using a 200gb)
  • The [Hiby] software has an app that let’s you access and control all files on the DAP
  • Bluetooth (receiver + transmitter!)

I recently upgraded to a Hiby R5 for better audio quality from the DAP itself, with all the aforementioned features included. I’d say check out Hiby or Shanling for what you’re looking for.

2 Likes

I personally wouldnt recommend the Hiby R5. Sound quality and power is top, but the user experience is at least in my case horrible. It’s slow as fuck, it often crashes so I have to restart it, the touchscreen touches but often doesnt react very good …I have a note 10 for Android comparisons on the other hand, so maybe I have too high hopes for a dap. I know I can’t expect the fluidity of my phone but I think the speed of the player is horrible. It’s lagging while searching my files and so on…
Wireless has only a few meters till it starts to slow down. When I’m in my bathroom I can’t stream anymore, not even Spotify. And that is not very away from my router.
But I have to say again that the sound quality is really good and I have only payed 300 bucks so…
Battery life is okay too I would say.

1 Like

I absolutely see your points. From what I’ve seen, Android DAPs are all crap, and I have no idea why. The Hiby R5 is at least acceptable to me, it’s slow, but actually doesn’t lag on me, just gotta be patient and wait for it to respond. I haven’t had any crashes yet. My only complaint is the screen being too small to type on, and typing has to be one keypress at a time.

Yeah you are right. I mean, I accept it aswell, since I keep it. Don’t know how much you have to invest to get something that works perfectly. Always heard the M11 would be super fast but I don’t know.
And you are totally right with the small display. Typing is stressful on it…