šŸ”¶ HiFiMan Ananda

I hope you like them, they are great as well and more different to the 650 than the elex.

here are the new measurements from amir. they are just a tool to compare with other peoples measurements and ideas. seems the fit is an issue here as well and considering they would not fit on my head either so i had to sell i would say its a realistic issue unlike his abyss issue. he touches on the EQ and sound stage aspect as well which finally he is starting to do - he6 for comparison below

HE6 for comparison
Hifiman HE-6 Review (Headphone) | Audio Science Review (ASR) Forum

1 Like

Oops I just realized that I am banned on ASR because I made a troll post about those Amir worshippers. Can you please summarize the review?

1 Like

i am banned as well lol for criticizing a Chinese product and amir very slightly. you can clear your browser saved IP for ASR and it will forget your browser . but yeah its not great for the ananda but again just for measurements. it does correlate to bad seal even if trying for a lot of people. peaky highs and over 5% distortion at 100db which is disappointing if you care about buying low distortion equipment. maybe thats why i noticed my aeon 2 was far cleaner sounding. its distortion at same volume is .2 percent that stuff really is audible. they say its because of how large the ananda driver is, however i did like the ananda better so low distortion didnt make it ā€œbetterā€, but my he6se it definitely did so its case by case. its nice to have measurements for my fav headphones so we can all decide what sounds like what and how that compares to measurements or if they dont relate at all. people seemed to get worked up about it its just a tool.

2 Likes

Exactly. Some people let graphs get in the way of buying a headphone they like. That is just ridiculous. Thanks for the advice on how to use ASR. I will see if it works

2 Likes

Coming from 650 To Ananda all i can say is WOW !!
the imaging,soundstage,vocals,bass quality,comfort are just perfect for my ears !
They are neutral sounding to me not bright at all

3 Likes

ASR is the most annoying community of people Iā€™ve come across in any hobby internet nicheā€¦ Just endless posts of people describing your headphones to you (that they donā€™t own, but apparently understand better than you because they are self-appointed amateur sound scientists who can see the Matrix green ones and zeros of the audio truth by looking at different readings and graphs). Itā€™s infuriating. Also so many refrains about how DACs and amps donā€™t and shouldnā€™t change the sound in any way, that they should just be a pure ā€œconduitā€ for the music, etc., when thatā€™s so flagrantly false to anyone with earsā€¦

Sorry if this is annoying negativity of its own kind, on my part. Can delete. Just this forum is the first place Iā€™ve come across that doesnā€™t seem to have much of an ASR-like problem (Head-fi seems to have some of them, ā€¦). Enjoying my stay. Anyway!

6 Likes

Yeah the Anandaā€™s werenā€™t bright when I tried them. Granted, I was coming from DT1990 Proā€™s soā€¦ maybe by sheer comparison little would have come off as bright to my ears at the time. Had to return them (Anandas) though because of fit. Far too much pressure on my jaw/upper neck area. Bugged me. Cup shape doesnā€™t work with my head, and despite not having a small head, I canā€™t wear those headphones at anything but the lowest headband setting.

1 Like

i agree it is a toxic place and its amirs fault and also his mods. just horrible really. however his measurements are valuable because of their resolution and error correction. nothing more nothing less. i still think reviews are more important by someone you trust. and the more reviews the better. measurements are just nice to have especially when its not on some mini dsp rig , although you could say the measurements are too sensitive and give a false sense of quality or lack there of.

1 Like

Can you compare the aeon 2 and the ananda in terms of soundstage, imaging, timbre and sound signature please?

to keep it simple hopefully and short the aeon 2 is by far the most CLEAR sounding and i dont mean the others are not clear but the insane low distortion and insulatin with the pads and damping in the closed cup make it like next level clear with very linear bass with like no roll off. only problem is it kinda loses any soul but its technically amazing. some people dont like the treble but i find it less needing EQ than the ananda. the ananda is like a klipshe speaker. has character in the uper freq but in doing so loses its technical performance but only slightly. feel a bit more peaky and can be sharp on bad recordings. i do like the sound but it has less impact although both dont have great impact for a planar the aeon has more at least the closed one. timbre is difficult they do sound different but its more subjective i would go read some reviews for that. but the aeon is more linear clear sounding and ananda has more sparkle or magic but at a cost. also the sound stage and imaging are different. the imaging and stage are better on the ananda but surprisingly good on the aeon to the point that it isnt a downside for me. for a closed back its the best other than ZMF verite closed. both large upgrade over sundara or the below 500 dollar headphones. in almost every way unless a lot of bass from a cheap headphone is what you want.

2 Likes

Thank you very very much. Now I finally understand what people mean when they say the aeon 2 lacks dynamics or is lifeless.

yes it doesnt sound broken like some people make it seem. it just feels like its refined almost too much. my he6se that i replaced the ananda with has a little bit of both plus huge slam and more comfort. although the aeon is the most comfortable headphone ive worn. and the build quality is the best ive ever seen on the aeon. a lot to like there especially on sale or used. might want to consider the new aeon noir or whatever its called. no filters needed on that one apparently.

2 Likes

Quick question about how Anandas compare with Sundaras.

I had a Sundara and thought the sound was kind of thin even with some EQ to boost the low frequencies. Is this a something these 2 headphones have in common while comparing to LCD2Cs for example? I loved the Sundaraā€™s sound and if the Ananda is similar but with a fuller sound in the mid-bass / mid area it would be a perfect set for me.

I have read that the sound signature is pretty similar between the 2.

2 Likes

From what Iā€™ve heard, Ananda has less slam, but more bass and resolution across the board. The treble is also less fatiguing than the Sundara.

2 Likes

Anandaā€™s bass is way fuller and more boostable than the sundaras, but its slam and texture is less, both have advantages and disadvantages but anandas bass is way more respectable (unless you wanted some punch which is unexistent lol.)

2 Likes

I am having a hard time imagining how it can be fuller and respond better to EQ and still have less punch, hahaha.

So you are saying that if you EQ the low frequencies with a low shelf in both the Sundaras and the Anandas, the Sundaras will have more punch while having less quantity?

yes, basically, and even without EQ its like that

anandas bass is more disperse and bigger so instead of being concentrated as a punch its all over the place; while sundaras bass is tame but concentrated enough to slam a bit.

1 Like

Gotcha, do you think it is possible that the reason why you feel the Ananda has less punch is because there is already a bit of bass in the overall sound? And that because the Sundara has like no bass the punch is more noticeable when you EQ?
I have an IEM that behaves kind of like that, that is why i askā€¦

I suggest this analogy.

Ananda bass is like being hit with a big pillow, there will be no actual punch or bruise but you will feel it in a bigger surface.

Sundara bass is like being hit by a ball, it will punch and maybe even leave a mark, but the surface area is much smaller.

How they react to EQ is way different. Anandaā€™s bass can be boosted a lot and still sound natural, but still no punch, they just donā€™t have the dynamics to concentrate the bass in a small surface area (AKA Punch)ā€¦ Sundaraā€™s bass can be boosted but it just kind of doesnā€™t work, exact same punch after the bass boost just with a little more sub bass.

either way this comes from my experience and may vary for another person.

5 Likes