đŸ”¶ HiFiMan Arya

Yep. Agreed. But I think you should be aware if the headphones you’re buying need an amp that’s super expensive and you won’t be able to afford that and then possibly change the choice of a headphone then. Hopefully that makes sense lol

I wouldn’t recommend going for a higher end headphone if you only plan on grabbing a $200 stack to power it lol, although that isn’t obvious to some people

1 Like

I agree with this, but we cannot assess someone else’s perception of value and their financial investment. I believe we should give advice as objectively as possible and let the person make their own judgement. If we completely block off a model due to “value” they never get the chance to experience something they may had in mind the entire time.

5 Likes

Definitely, but it’s good to know what you’re getting into before you buy, in terms of the whole cost rather than a singular cost of a headphone.

1 Like

For what music genres do they work really well/best???

1 Like

I would say most genres, unless you want some serious bass. Anything with good dynamics and stage worked best i thought.

I use them for mostly soundtracks and classical music. The huge soundstage really befits those types of music.

What music genres would be that? I am sorry I am kind of a noob in audio world

Great for classical,jazz,ambient. But still good with rock, country
mainly depends on what you want in a headphone rather than just genre specific. Do you want a lot of bass? Focus on vocals? Super detailed? Laid back and smooth? Do want sounds to be intimate, or more far away? Do you want sounds to come from above and below, front and back? etc

Just got my Arya’s yesterday. I think I watched too many reviews, especially Josh Valour. I was expecting them to blow my socks off, and well
they didn’t. Don’t get me wrong, I really like the way they sound and will be keeping them, but slight disappointment. I am coming from LCD-X and expected a big bass jump for some reason, but i just don’t hear it. They are definitely way more comfortable than the LCDs for me. I have large ears and they touched the inner portion of the LCDs. No such issue with Arya.

No build quality issues to speak of, I was a bit nervous as Hifiman seems to have a rep for build quality problems. Mine look and feel top notch.

I have listened through a Magni3+/Modi and the built in amp of an RME ADI-DAC FS. I am gathering that they may need more power than either can offer. Volume isn’t an issue on either amp, but I don’t think they are being driven to their potential. Does anyone have any feedback on that?

Neither of those amps would do the Arya justice. The internal amp of the RME is pretty average imo.

4 Likes

The arya do not have a lot of slam or impact and dynamics arent class leading either. I wouldnt say it is warm either although some people say it is for some reason.
That being said, the arya has good bass quality

liquid platinum would be a good amp for both the lcdx and arya I would think, maybe try that @magnumbm

3 Likes

Thanks guys.

I was amp shopping today, will check out the liquid platinum. I have Burson Soloist 3XP on the shortlist currently.

If you trust Resolve’s reviews he thinks the LCD-X are overall better than Arya if you EQ them. I have the Arya but not the LCD. I have only used it on really powerful amps, like the Lyr 3 and Liquid Gold X. I also don’t think you will get that huge of an improvement in changing amps. The stack you have is pretty powerful when it comes to pushing headphones. There are better amps and DAC but if it’s just the Arya that you are trying to make better, then I think you should just save your money and return the Arya.

I can kind of agree with this. On the stack he has right now, I would think he would be able to tell if the arya has the signature and presentation he likes and if it is worth keeping and investing more into

1 Like

I did EQ the LCD-X using his and a few other PEQ settings and it was better, but i still wasn’t satisfied with them. With the 9db of headroom, I was near the limit of my amp to get back to a volume i liked.

I’m very new to this, so I’m still trying to find what I like. Enjoying it all along the way though.

I appreciate that feedback guys, thank you.

1 Like

It’s not about powering it to loud levels, you need to give it the correct power to get the proper dynamics of the Arya, especially the bass.

3 Likes

I what was warning against was just getting more expensive amps just to ‘fix’ the Arya. But for the cost of the Arya you could get a Bifrost 2 and a Jotunheim 2/Liquid Platinum/Rebel Amp. Schiit also added a bunch of overstock to their deals today.

The Magni 3+ is 1.6 watts at 50 OHM and the Arya are 47 ohm. So yes, they are powerful enough for them but the amp isn’t the best sounding amp. I still don’t think it’s worth trying to fix them. They will improve only maybe 10% and that will cost hundreds of dollars or more.