Hifiman Edition X v2 vs Sundara

Hi guys,

so I found someone who is selling an edition X v2 for 500€. I have the Sundara at the moment and while not looking for an upgrade it seems like a nice opportunity.
So what do you think - is it worth upgrading to the X v2 from the Sundara? I like the neutral sound of the Sundara, especially combined with an Ifi bass boost. That adds some nice punch to its sound.
So I would expect the X v2 to sound bigger and spacier than the Sundara while having more lowend and the same punchyness. That‘s also the reason why I didn’t go for the Amanda’s.

Since the Xv2 arent produced anymore should I jump at that opportunity? Or do you think that the XS has the same qualities like the X v2?

My wallet hopes that you say: „Nah it’s not worth it.“ :joy:

The Edition XS is $400 on AliExpress now, pretty sure it’s a permanent price drop. Just saying. You couldn’t pay me to own a Sundara for what it’s worth.

2 Likes

You’re right @Pokrog - though he might have the headband thing going for him. Part of my does wish the XS had that same old hag but tried and tested headband of the X. Nonetheless, @Dia the XS’s headband is still solid (even thicker and sturdier yokes) - just a preferential thing going on around, the little whining. I’m only highlighting this since it’s by far the only thing people have partial feelings about. Rest of the build is right up there with the X.

I don’t think ye could go wrong with either. In the end, yes @Dia - the X or the XS are hands down, a profound upgrade to the Sundaras (and most definitely in the bass region, as you’ll see for yourself). Also, the Sundara has rendered itself irrelevant ever since the $110 He-400SE and the (now) $400 Edition XS came into existence. It simply isn’t the mid level bargain settlement it’s trying to still forcefully become - that gap is best avoidable and one rather stay on this side of the river bank, or the other.

Could save a few bucks, get a brand spanking new, stealth magnet version of the X’s successor, the XS (just mind the headband) or get the tried and tested old hog, the X.

Sell that thing then, go ahead, and get yourself in the big league. Might as well eat the bullet now than continue to live on with curiosity.

I do hope though, for your wallet’s sake, that this be the last cans you buy in many years to come (like myself) so you can rest assured that you finally have stellar headphones, and you can take a break from this constant itch.

2 Likes

I personally dissagree, while the Xs is an overall better headphone the Sundara is still solid overall and has some unique qualities that make it stand apart from the Xs - mainly the airiness that it provides that really meshs well with a lot of music.

I have both and while i do reach for the Xs more than the Sundara, its still get its time in the sun

1 Like

I’m biased heavily - The HEX v2 was the first big Hifiman Planar I heard and I’ve been chasing that Hifiman sound since through the HE1000 series to now the Susvara.

The Edition X v2 is going to have a warmer signature (for hifiman) with lots of energy and quickness. The bass is well extended with nice sub-base presence. Mids are good and treble has nice extension too and is reasonably smooth, but can bite back on some tracks like anything else. The stage is wide and tall with decent imaging and placement within. I found it the HEX v2 very enjoyable and pretty adaptable to different source chains.

This is the thing, that headphone made its debut back in August 2016 and sold for $1299.00 There are some good examples still in circulation but yes, servicing of failed drivers or much of anything beyond pads is going to be tough at best.

Most Audiophiles tend to take pretty good care of their gear, especially cult pieces like HEX v2. $500 is a fair price for a set in good working condition. If you can get to see/try it in person that would be best - at minimum get a decent set of pictures all around, don’t be afraid to ask questions.

Whether you should do it I dunno - I think you could be rewarded well emotionally if they are a nice set, is it a good investment - beats me. I also can’t say that you should avoid it either…

Follow your heart.

Thanks for your replies - really appreciate it!

though he might have the headband thing going for him.

Yes, that was actually one of my main concerns. I started back then with the 4xx and that headband was literally painful for me. Tried to work around that using Dekoni Nuggets but that didn’t provide the comfort I was looking for. So next step up was the Sundara and that comfort strap is just miles better then that other headband. I know the XS’s headband has lots more padding on it, but still it raises some (maybe unjustified) concerns on my side - especially considering the price bump.

X or the XS are hands down, a profound upgrade to the Sundaras (and most definitely in the bass region, as you’ll see for yourself)

Glad to hear that! Hm I hear sobbing noises … oh wallet is that you? It’s gonna be ok … :sweat_smile:

I personally dissagree, while the Xs is an overall better headphone the Sundara is still solid overall and has some unique qualities that make it stand apart from the Xs - mainly the airiness that it provides that really meshs well with a lot of music.

I think @ATK didn’t mean that the Sundara is bad per se. But considering the price brackets and what you get it is either stay in the budget area or add a ~100 bucks for the XS (to the regular 350) which makes it indeed difficult to justify the Sundara.

Might as well eat the bullet now than continue to live on with curiosity.
I do hope though, for your wallet’s sake, that this be the last cans you buy in many years to come (like myself) so you can rest assured that you finally have stellar headphones, and you can take a break from this constant itch.

I really feel being understood. :joy:

The Edition X v2 is going to have a warmer signature (for hifiman) with lots of energy and quickness. The bass is well extended with nice sub-base presence. Mids are good and treble has nice extension too and is reasonably smooth, but can bite back on some tracks like anything else. The stage is wide and tall with decent imaging and placement within. I found it the HEX v2 very enjoyable and pretty adaptable to different source chains.

Cool that sounds exactly like what I would like.

Follow your heart.

That my friend is the eternal conflict we are facing between brain and heart. Logic and emotion. Light and shadow.
Sometimes I feel that the having this conflict is the reason why it attracts me in the first place. Wouldn’t it be a pity if one would simply get into the “endgame”? Or would one never stop because of the urge for the next step up the ladder?

Even at the current price bracket (its 300$, down from 350), it still has its place its a unique sound, especially if its the 2020 revision with the better pads. It might not be enough to tip the scale for some but i think Sundaras still holds its own.

As far as price difference a price gap 200$ is still a sizeable amount of money not to mention that the Xs needs a beefier amp to really shine while the Sundara does benefit from it but can make due with a much budget amp

But at the end of the day to each thier own, and as long as you have fun with your music it doesnt really matter :smiley:

@Naturallymorbid yes I didn’t mean they’re bad headphones…

You see, the gap is decent for one to scale up quite enough.

Just consider for reference, the price gaps between the different offerings:

HE-400SE - $110
Sundara - $300
XS - $400
Ananda - $600 - $700
HE-6SE - $500
HE-6 - $1100-$1300
Arya - $1,200
HE1000 - $2,000

The gap up to the XS is the craziest, for the sonic performance one gets. It’s just stupid, a literal no-brainer. It’s such a disrupting offering, with the most significant bang for the buck upgrade. Some might say, the best sound under $500 or even $700 (albeit with arguable build quality, but we’re talking about sound first).

So my opinion stems for this.

I saw a thread last night on the XS on ASR, and on one page, at least 3-4 people have literally sold off their Sundaras for the XS. I feel that’s the general sentiment.