šŸ”¶ HifiMan HE-400i

I want them! I used to have the he4xx which I sold for the Sundara. If someone pulled the trigger in the 2020 model let us know how they compare to the he4xx.

1 Like

I have a pair on order to replace my defective HE-4XXā€™s that canā€™t be replaced right away, I will report back when I get them. How would you say the 4XX compares to the Sundara, I almost ordered those.

1 Like

For my ears they where different. The he4xx was more bright and sounded thin. The Sundara is more musical, have much more detail with forward mids. The sundara was in a complete tier above, but I ended selling my sundara. they fatigue after 30min, i had no trouble with the he4xx. I want a <200$ planar to keep around. That is why I am looking for this 2020 revision.

1 Like

Iā€™ve had the 2020 version for about a week now, and I donā€™t think I like them very well. To me the 4xxā€™s were more my taste. The 400i has a bit more treble, i think more mid-forward too, and a bit less bass. I wonder how the Sundaraā€™s would fit me, may try those next. Overall though I would say the 2020 version is well built, no issues with that at all.

2 Likes

How does the 2020 version compare to the 4xx in comfort? I recently bought a 4xx, and while I enjoy the sound, they are fairly uncomfortable on my head. Not sure if the cans are just heavy enough that the band pulls down a bit and get uncomfortable, or if itā€™s something else. May be interested in trying to trade them for the 400i if theyā€™re more comfortable.

Strangeā€¦ I find the 4xx like a pair of pillows on my headā€¦

Haha, yeah, I kind of expected that too based on reviews, but the more I read it seems that itā€™s a love it or hate it design when it comes to comfort. For me, the band definitely fatigues the top of my head.

After owning he4xx, Sundara, and Ananda I can say that for me the Sundara may be the best overall value. Agreed about brightness when fresh out of the box. Did you burn them in? I played mine overnight at a moderate volume for few days and the treble calmed down considerably. I also amped them well and there was no lack of slam like some have spoken of. Emotiva a-100 FTW. Waiting on the newest 400i as a backup/change up set to t50rp mk3s and Ananda, I returned my he4xx because of several defects from Drop.

I believe that youā€™d like the Sundara. A substantial step up in sound quality. Probably the better overall value of most of the mid fi cans. Donā€™t judge them from their out of the box sound, play them overnight at a moderate volume for a few nights (or a couple of weeks) for burn in. The treble will calm down, bass will deepen and detail, soundstage will widen and seperate. Amp them well also, if you can. Iā€™ve since moved to Ananda but just bought the 2020 400i as a backup and to play around. Iā€™ll keep you all posted.

1 Like

Disclaimer, I am not treble and not bright sensitive,I am mid sensitive :rofl: . I used them for about 125~130h. I had the 4xx, sundara and ananda. I like the ananda. But, I returned my pair because the headband and the left cup where bend (Bought them from hifimam web). After that, I decide to take a break from hifiman products.

What did you wind up getting to replace Ananda? I had a problem with a set and got a new replacement. Also what are you driving them with?

I was using my thx789 with sdac-b. They sound really good, big and tall. They where similar to the sundara. I did not try to replace them because hifiman took 2 weeks to ship my order after they receive my payment.

Edit: at that time the was my second pair below 700$. I was kind of regretting having two Relative expensive headphones lol.

What did you wind up getting instead? I wound up getting a brand new set of Anandas and it didnā€™t take long at all, they even emailed me a shipping label so it wouldnā€™t cost me shipping. They may have been slow shipping before because a new batch was shipping out, who knows, Iā€™m getting a new set shipped to me in about a day or two.

Thatā€™s awesome! I just keep my beyers (t1.2nd, dt1990). This hobby gets you any way. Now I have 2 amps, 2 dacs and 5 headphones. I might buy the sundara or Ananda down the road. I want to try the he400i 2020 and the deva too!

Not that treble sensitive I see. Iā€™m interested in the Deva as I hear that itā€™s close to sounding like Sundara and itā€™s pretty convenient with all the play options. I just bought the 400i 2020 as Iā€™ve only had the 4xx from Hifimanā€™s entry level cans. For backup and general purposes. If I go higher up any time in the next while itā€™ll be with Arya.

1 Like

I just received the 400i 2020 in the mail today. Playing them in as I write this. They sound better fresh out the box than what I remember of the 4xx when fresh OOTB. I remember them (4xx) being sibilant and having a peaky treble. Of course this is from memory so maybe not accurate, just an impression. These have a very slight sharpness but are not sibilant. Not bad for entry level. It has a decent soundstage, voices and instruments have a real type sound to them. Bass is present but not overblown. They need power to have more bass and sound better though. Ananda is in a whole 'nother league but I can hear the family resemblance, even at this price point. Must amp them for best sound, I believe. Iā€™m going to play them overnight for a few nights for burn in then report any changes. -E

I just got the 2020 v. in the mail today. From the 4xx these 2020ā€™s have a comfy plushy headband, pretty comfy. I put my earlobes some of the way into the pads, my whole ear wonā€™t quite fit but theyā€™re still very soft. No real issues.

1 Like

Was just gonna ask specifically about this after I read your previous post. Thanks for sharing!

I read your earlier post and commented on it. While the headband foam is not the softest itā€™s still for me decently padded, softer than 4xx. Thereā€™s also many headband cushions being sold if the stock headband still doesnā€™t work. Too good a headphone to dismiss over what is, in my opinion, a minor comfort concern.

1 Like

Been listening to my 2020 version for about a week now. My first planar so I have nothing to compare it to other than dynamics.

Comfort - definitely my least comfortable headphone compared to HD600, Elegia, ATH-M40x with aftermarket pads. The round cups and pads feel weird to me and for some reason theyā€™re the hottest of my headphones.

Soundwise, love the detail but the highs are a bit etched and thereā€™s like zero slam/impact in the bass and midbass region (I realize this is a common trait among planars). Overall a VERY different experience from dynamic drivers. Still getting used to it. May update my thoughts as I get to know the headphones better.

Just for reference, Iā€™m using ALAC files via Audirvana with Bifrost MB & Unison and a Pass Labs WHAMMY amp.