šŸ”¶ HifiMan HE-400i

Yup Artā€™s communication is fantastic done clear coat it is!

1 Like

I think itā€™s gonna look perfect! So weā€™re like HE400i twins nowā€¦:wink::sunglasses::metal:

1 Like

Sorry about the terrible lighting, but I was pretty busy working in my shop when the grills arrived. I snapped them on and took a couple quick pics so I could get to listening and get back to work. The increase in soundstage and detail in the bass is immediately noticeable from the vety first seconds. For mire in depth impressions Iā€™ll need a bit.

Pics of the HE400i (2016 version) with the clear coat over high carbon steel hex grills:

Edit: I think they look perfect. Understated and not too shiny, but enough to add to a classy look overall, IMO. What do you guys think?

Edit 2: Maybe what Iā€™m hearing isnā€™t an increase in bass detail per se, but an increase in clarity and articulation which is saying something for a low end that was already pretty agile. Also, the soundstage gains in depth as well as width and I believe the imaging gets more precise, but donā€™t quote me on that just yet.

1 Like

I posted pics of my He400i with the new grills above. When are yourā€™s showing up? Iā€™m looking forward to comparing notes.

1 Like

Looks great , so you definitely hear a sound difference between the two interesting and great to hear. I might see what they look like and paint them back not sure thanks for posting!:+1:

Yeah, there is definitely an immediate difference for the better and, like I said, itā€™s obvious. There are some more subtle differences too and Iā€™ll do a little write-up on everything Iā€™m hearing after Iā€™ve had some time with them. BTW, the pics donā€™t do the look with the grills justice. They look cool! :sunglasses:

1 Like

Sweet have to wait a week for mine to show enjoy.

1 Like

Hey guys, the pads on my 400iā€™s got worse and worse with time, until now where the internal layer is completely torn down and is not even remotely connected to the inner parts. I have very large ears, these were never comfortable - Anyone knows some big pads with biiig ear holes thatā€™d fit on them? The bigger the better, size matters! Also preferably under 70 dollars but I might do some stretching for a really quality set.

I only just got my HE400is on a whim like a week and a half ago or something so I havenā€™t done any pad rolling or replacement on them yet, but I have owned two other Hifiman round cup models which all have the same cup dimensions so they can use the same pads.

On my HE6s I used to use Dekoni Elite Sheepskin pads and I found them to be pretty roomy. The stock pads on the HE400is that I just got seem to have less room inside the pads. However, I have heard a few people say that the Elite Velours are a better match on the 400is. FWIW, I will likely try both and maybe even the Elite Hybrid at some point since I have other headphones that they can fit on as well.

As far as other suggestions go, some others will hopefully chime in because thatā€™s all I have experience with lol! :joy:

I use the Dekoni Elite Velour pads and just in new grills OMG highly recommended!

Mine I order in just clear coated steel.

1 Like

The grills make a big difference, right? BTW, thatā€™s a good looking pair of headphones youā€™ve got there. :wink::sunglasses:

They do very much thank you. I am done w headphones just picked up a set of IEM that has the same sound signature so this is one happy camper here.

Hold on, youā€™re done with headphones as in getting rid of HE400i or as in content, sticking with them, and done looking at others? Iā€™m guessing you meant the later since youā€™re happy with the results of the grill mod. Iā€™ve been quite impressed with the difference the more open grills made too and itā€™s a much bigger difference than I was anticipating.

If you donā€™t mind me asking, which IEMs did you pick up? Just curious.

Thanks! Seen the Dekoni offerings already, are the ear openings really bigger? Or by roomy you mean they are deeper inside? I donā€™t have much problems with the interior on comfort, itā€™s just my huge ears donā€™t fit properly into the circular hole. I might buy these anyways though if I donā€™t find a better replacement

I donā€™t have the Dekoni pads with me right now, but when I had them on my stock HE6 I donā€™t remember my ears being so close to the insides. I could just be remembering wrong, but if you as @ToneDeafMonk , the guy I was just responding to, he actually has some of the Elite Suedes on his HE400is right now so maybe he can tell you if the inner area is more spacious, bigger around, deeper, etcetera than the stock pads.

I picked up a set of GS Audio SE12 itā€™s a tribrid. It has the Planer speed with the BA doing that job , mids & Highs also BA and 4 EST doing the ultra highs.

Sub bass boosted , forward mids +2 over neutral and most outstanding extension.

I prefer IEM over cans but the 400i with the mods works for me I am not looking to upgrade anytime soon. Maybe if I find a good deal on a set of Sundara as the grills should just swap over.

As for the Dekoni pads I think they add a bit more depth but not more roomy I donā€™t think.

1 Like

Is the actual tuning of the SE12 close to the HE400i or are we just talking the technical attributes like planar speed and relatively linear extension at both ends of the spectrum? Iā€™m a big fan of hybrids and currently own a few myself. I was asking about the tuning because the SE12 looks like an interesting IEM and I was wondering what the tuning was like to get an idea of where it might fit into my collection if curiosity gets the better of me! :joy:

The SE12 is as close to the tuning to the HiFiMan So if you like a more forward upper end slightly with no siblance and bass thatā€™s fast without midbass bleed you would like the SE12 .

Itā€™s a very fun unfatiging sound signature great technicalities and a emphasis on Vocals and instruments itā€™s a killer.

I have listening to Metallica and Hannia Rani On Piano and love both.

The only thing I would say itā€™s on the larger side and super tip and cable dependant.

I absolutely canā€™t put them down and simply are 100 more enjoyable than my Letshuoer EJ07M For casual listening.

1 Like

BTW @TechnoCat in case you didnā€™t catch it he answered your question above. Apparently Iā€™m just remembering wrong and the Dekonis donā€™t have more space in the inner opening. Iā€™ll look around when I get a chance and Iā€™ll let you know if I rum across any pads that might suit your preferences.

Edit: Are you finding that you need more room vertically, horizontally, or pretty much all around?

Thanks a lot for the involvement and the update! Generally all around, both in height and width. Currently very interested in the ZMF ovals (Lambskin seems great), they have a very large opening, but Iā€™m afraid I wonā€™t be able to put them on the headphones.
It seems that Iā€™ll need an extra pair of rings which I can order for cheap from AliExpress but I want to be sure before I buy anything. Would buy straight from Hifiman but their shipping is ridiculously high, so Iā€™m not sure if the ones for sale on AliExpress are fully compatible either.