đŸ”¶ Hifiman HE400se

They actually remind me a lot of Aryas. Not quite as resolving or dynamic but similar timbre and stage handling. Fantastic headphone for the price. They can sound really great on a warmer source chain.

1 Like

Where do you get real Sundara pads for the replacement you mentioned?

I wouldn’t get sundara pads at all. I’d destroy the pads they come with to cannibalize the adapter rings and use zmf leathers, aliexpress 115mm leathers, or brainwavz XL gaming micro suede and be set for a while and focus on chain components. They’re plenty resolving enough to outperform entry level gear and if given a warmish chain they’re pretty nice. Given the price they’re amazing.

1 Like

I’ve had these for a few months now and really like them. They make the Sundara redundant to me, honestly. I find them to be at least on par if not better, and at half the price of the Sundara no less.

2 Likes

That is good to hear. I have been really happy with the sound on these, about the only feature I am guessing I would like on the Sundara, would be the suspension strap. I find I have to move the headband around to avoid the hotspot on the top of my head.

They have a very satisfying sound profile, and it has been an opportunity to rediscover some old music, which has been a lot of fun.

1 Like

This was my solution, and you could get the Sennheiser pads on Amazon:

Looks stupid, but if you’re just using it at home for comfort, I guarantee completely removes the hotspot issue.

2 Likes

That’s an interesting idea I may have to try that, I have the 400i 2020 which has this same hard as a rock headband.

2 Likes

That is funny, I independently guessed that might work, and have them in my wishlist on Amazon, but just haven’t bought them yet.

1 Like

I got the Sennheiser pads and had a spool black cable ties, so the headband mod turned out looking pretty ok. Thanks for the tip.

2 Likes

Dang that looks nice! Guess I should have gone with the all black velcro ties as well

2 Likes

I have black and blue just sitting around the house, the correct answer seemed obvious, no matter how much I like blue.

2 Likes

Has anyone tried pairing the HE400se with ifi Zen Dac V2 and especially with the True Bass button while using the 4.4 balanced output?

Thinking about getting the Zen Dac on 11.11, hope someone can share some thoughts.

I normally pair my 400se with xDuoo MT-602 hybrid tube single ended. Still I would almost always end up EQing to get more bass juice.

1 Like

I can check on my IFI zen Dac V1 if that helps but I assume it should be a pretty dope pairing (I use it with an IFI stack dac+can)

1 Like

Thanks! Does your stack have a balanced output?

I’m asking not because I believe that there’ll be a sound difference, but just because how hard the 400se is powered. Plus planar seems to the type most affected by power

Ya i got it connected via the 4.4 at the back.
As far as power it should be more than enough

1 Like

@PopinTeddy Thanks for the idea, it works great. Yeah you do have to notch it up a few for it to fit but the comfort is night and day.

2 Likes

Thanks yall for playing with the idea and confirming that it works! I’m also an amateur in modding so I can’t tell whether it works for everyone, but seeing this, it really is a win-win scenario!

Cheers

2 Likes

Agreed, always nice when the fix is simple and not too expensive.

Thanks again @PopinTeddy

2 Likes

The thing for me is that I don’t see these type of “minimize tweaking the origin” mods too much in the audiophile community. A lot of times it’s big changes like completely rewiring the connectors, or breaking apart the cups adding this or deleting that, or completely swapping the whole oem headband.

I really don’t like these type of mods when the original headphone/iem was already great. Or else, why am I purchasing it? So luckily for this comfort mod, and also my DIY pad-holder mod for the KPH30i, it’s just adding stuff to solve the issue but not changing anything that was originally there.

True 5-min craft I guess?

Five-min Craft Crap - Khaby Lame 1

2 Likes

Yeah, I really appreciate the small tweaks here and there just to make your user experience better. It’s the little things, whilst small in nature they have a pretty big impact.

2 Likes