đŸ”¶ Hifiman HE400se

The HE400se: A headphone so good the Headphone Show crew reviewed it twice

3 Likes

Is anybody else hearing a really big treble spike around 9100hz? It’s driving me crazy and I can’t eq it out without ruining the sound, I have to decrease it by 5 or more db. It’s literally painful for me to listen to them without eq.

Hifiman provides the best tonal balances for the price, the folks at headphones dotcom love headphones the less they need to EQ them

Try to shelf up the treble region that you like and then drop the hurting frequencys as much as you need.

Although a combination of pad swap, a -1 or -2 db treble shelf and even changing your source will help reduce that sharpness all the better.

What I did when I owned them was use a chifi tube buffer with treble knob, or a schiit loki reduced the 9k annoyance more than software eq for me. (More like reduced the spike less than eq but with better overall sounds, if its very sibilant you may need to change cans)

The more I see/read about the 400se, the more I ask myself if it is worth buying it when I already have a 400i 2020. Do anyone have both and can compare? Or is the a review that talks about it?

Probably to save and good for something higher up. I wouldn’t imagine the 400se being a major upgrade over the 400i 2020

I reviewed both and much prefer the HE400se, however, I have always wondered if the set of 400i I had was different to the ones everyone seems to love.

2 Likes

How are these for rock? I never like that drop in the mids, since it seems like it is removing the guitar.

it’s typical hifiman tuning. it’s not nearly as drastic as some people make it out to be. everyone loves the sundara (i hate that POS) and they have the same dip.

3 Likes

I’d get the grado sr80x instead for rock if you dont mind on-ears

2 Likes

I agree with the Grado SR80x for rock. It actually suits all kinds of genres with their new drivers.

My HE400se is arriving in a few days. I will give a comparison for rock.

2 Likes

The round style of HIFIMAN headphones - man they should just stick with the silver and the black headbands they should just keep the headband that they’re using right now with their 2020 stuff make the headband black and just make everything else silver so we don’t have to worry about poor - quality black paint in fact I’m demanding hifiman make this a permanent standard for their headphone colors HE 6 V3 500 400 or anything else just make that color like if you agree or favorite

1 Like

I do but not competitive stuff

Could really benefit from some proper punctuation, mate
 Having a hard time understand what you’re saying.

3 Likes

Anyway, will the Hifiman HE400se be driven with a Tempotec Sonata HD Pro or an LG V30 (ESS9218p Quad DAC)? Will the difference be significant if I drive them with the Topping L30 instead?

For some reason I thought the 400 I-2020 would be better than that because of the higher ohms rating?

i measured my 400se at 56 ohm. i can pretty much all but guarantee the specs they have for the stealth driver are copied from the chinese 400se with a single sided lower impedance driver.

Don’t be mistaken: higher ohm ratings doesn’t mean higher sound qualities. There are plenty of headphones out there that are low impedance and are hell of headphones. The focal ones are a great example.

1 Like

Thank you, the only example I was thinking of was the Beyer weirdness. Of their 770 sets, they come in 32, 80, 250, and I would not have guessed that 80 would be the one I liked.

I have always heard that, but I dislike on-ears, and Grado sets always seem like I can’t get them to fit my large head correctly for added torture. I like the sound, but I can’t see buying a set that uncomfortable for me.

I am reminded why I typically wear IEMs during the work day.

1 Like