đŸ”¶ Hifiman HE5XX

takato14 tearing the HE5XX a new hole (build-wise): https://www.superbestaudiofriends.org/index.php?threads/all-of-he-5xxs-bullshit-that-i-noticed.10120/

Granted, these are $220 headphones but then again these are $220, so one cannot be faulted for thinking that the build quality should be better POS skullcandy’s. Hell, $150 ten years ago (~$180 in 2020) got you an AKG K501 whose build quality would probably shit over the cheaper Hifimans. Then, there’s the HD6XX at $220 with the benefit of economies of scale and whose build quality cannot be faulted other than the extensive use of plastics. However, those plastics seem to be sturdy enough to last for years.

1 Like

Hello,
What do you expect that is typical for Hifiman.
Every listener has some quirk in terms of processing.
The cheaper the Hifiman the worse.
Unfortunately, one must say for the money, other manufacturers create the money much better.
I was lucky that I had nothing to complain about with my He4xx in the processing optically regarded.
What bothered me more was the sound from the 4xx so dull somehow and also powerless.
That is why it went away relatively quickly, even if there is now a He5xx I keep my distance.
If I feel the desire to take a planar again, it will start with the Quad Era 1 and possibly end with the Audeze or Aeon 2 one of the 3.

2 Likes

The only HiFiMan I’ve had issues with was the HE-350, but even then, I had a pretty great experience with their customer service(they arrived with the yoke broken on a Monday, they responded the next day had had a replacement headband in my hands by Thursday, no money out of my pocket.)

I’ve got the LG v40 and ran the HEX v2 with it - not well. I did the kludge to get more volume out of it. But the bass was indeed weak, and worse the DAC purported to be excellent was shown to be dog meat by my Gumby. The v40 DAC “breathes” like a DBX, its bright then it sounds good, then the timbre is all wrong. The v40 is supposed to be the most audiophile tuned of all the LG’s. Don’t believe it, get a used DAP for cheap, or a desktop and be done with it.

1 Like

Just like me, you’re probably going to get both workin a couple months. I want this uber-width. Have also wanted DT880 for a bit. I have a weird fetish for high impedence cans (lots of old AKGs)

Mine got delivered today, how rare lol. Well, first off, build isn’t great, but it’s serviceable and comfort is actually decent so far, absolutely nothing to write home about but honestly at the price I wouldn’t complain too much, although I think there are other options in the market with better build at a similar price

Sound wise so far it’s mixed for me, this kinda landed where I expected it to, but it’s doing a bit more. For starters without even proper listening time this has absolutely nothing to do with an he500 whatsoever. If anything, it could be closer to an he560, but even then not really. It does have some characteristics of a deva from memory, but it also sounds preferable to the deva imo, it’s got better impact and punch than the deva (not by much though), a bit sweeter of a frequency response with better timbre in the midrange, and treble sounds like modern hifiman treble although there is a bit of a upper air peak. It’s got some treble sharpness to it, it’s not a smooth sounding headphone, but it’s not overly sharp with a decent source. Bass is interesting, it’s almost rounded sounding, really strange, although extension isn’t as good as like a sundara and neither is impact, but it’s not offensively bad and extension is good enough for the price range unless that’s a priority for you

And from memory comparing to a sundara, a good way to think of this headphone is an alternative to a sundara if you wanted something less neutral with a a bit more fun fr that can be driven better by 100 buck amps. To me the sundara is more refined and capable, although it needs a better amp to get there, where the 5xx so far is more enjoyable on less than idea sources than I remember the sundara being. This being said so far I would take a sundara over a 5xx even with a 100 buck amp, but there might be times where the 5xx might be preferable

So far enjoying them but curious to see how things progress

17 Likes

Ah and some other things, soundstage is surprisingly spacious, decently large and has a decent amount of depth, somewhat surprised there, imaging is also pretty great

Dynamics are decent here as long as you have at least an entry level amp, not lacking but not def not excelling (I would really like if that could be improved), decent layering as well

A bit more on the amp side of things, they don’t sound great off a phone or underpowered, but it’s easier to power them that it was a 4xx from my experience so that’s nice, I do prefer them on a warmer source as they can get a bit sharp, liquid spark is a great budget idea here

This seems like a upgrade from a 4xx although not as much as a sundara, but the 5xx does sound more energetic than a sundara tbh. I would say so far that I would take this 100% over a 4xx for sure so far

Edit: now probably about 80-85%

I think the thing that’s most impressive to me about what they are pulling off here with the 5xx is the timbre and or tone, it’s pretty great for a planar at this price, and also stage spaciousness as it’s really quite good for the price. And the midrange is really quite nice. The most disappointing aspect is pretty easily the bass as it doesn’t dig as deep as I would want, doesn’t have great impact and heft, and while it is controlled I don’t know how to feel about a weird roundness in the bass. Also can get sibilant with some tracks and depending on what amp you have

15 Likes

This is actually pretty nice to hear considering how different the sundara and 4xx sounded I felt like there would be a missing step for people who liked the 4xx and wanted another hifiman. Altho I’m also grateful that the sundara sounds completely different from the 4xx lol

THIS in particular is very nice to hear. The tonality and timbre of the 4xx was really my only problem with it. Otherwise it was a great headphone

Yes the 5xx does a pretty great job of making this much less of an issue, along with giving it some needed sweetness as well, I might say that I prefer the midrange and upper bass timbre of the 5xx over the sundara but I would really need both on hand to compare, but both the sundara and 5xx are pretty easily much better timbre wise over the 4xx

Ah and also now since it’s been on my head for awhile, I actually might find the 5xx more comfy than the sundara for my head, personally the cup shape and the lightness make it pretty nice, whereas the sundara headband was somewhat off-putting to me. Personally I really like the suspension strap style bands on the older hifiman like the 560 or stuff like the arya and up. Build still feels real cheap though

4 Likes

Hello,
How would you divide the listeners of if you had to allocate a place between the Hifiman Sundura,He4xx and He5xx,which one would be on place one and which one on place 3 for you?

Had the He4 xx once had was too dull for me.
I have heard the Sundura under conditions that were not great, without amplifier and primitive on a Cd player.
But with this one I did not find it too dull.

And as a Fostex Tr x00 listener all three could have a hard time, the He4xx for me anyway I would not buy it again.

1 Like

Out of both combined preference and performance I would currently rate sundara > 5xx > 4xx, both the sundara and 5xx are both overall upgrades over the 4xx but with different signatures, although the sundara is the pretty clear combined technical leader imo

The sundara is fairly amp picky for the budget, so it requires more careful matching to get ideal sound

The fostex biodyna headphones are pretty great although pretty different from the hifiman planars

1 Like

Super thank you Mon for your assessment I appreciate,:wink:.

Just from my gut it tells me that I should go a level higher than Quad Era 1 or even higher for my needs.

With Hifiman I have a hard time for whatever reason.

From what I read, the Quad Era 1 seems to have a soft, ethereal sound (Zeos mentions this too), aspects that the modern Hifiman sound has too.

Thanks @M0N for your take on the HE5XX. I have one coming my way (likely going back) to do a side by side comparison with the HE500.

Personally the quad would more remind me of the hek or the hex v2 in terms of impact, thickness, and smoothness, more than it would like an arya or sundara (or the older hifiman), but they might share some characteristics

Should be pretty interesting side by side, but I sure hope nobody sells their he500 to buy one of these expecting something similar lol. Will be curious on your thoughts :+1:

I really wish drop would have branded this differently, because now you have people pissed it isn’t really a he500 replacement and also people thinking it’s just a rebranded and recolored deva while it’s really neither of those, it’s something different instead

1 Like

After some more time with it, it has gotten a bit more impactful and opened up a bit (only slightly, still not enough for my tastes, still not a hard hitter), and treble has evened out but that peak right near the sibilance area is still prominent enough to be an issue for some, a bit less raw sounding overall. Otherwise sound is similar to what I felt earlier. I also should say that it is indeed a slight v shape but I still really like what the midrange is doing on here for a planar at this price, I don’t want to make it seem mid centric or anything though since it isn’t that, it’s a slight bit recessed but not overly so, perhaps a slight u shape but that’s not exactly it either because of that weird bass roundness.

Generally I tend to find myself favoring warmer amps with more body, asgard 3 is a very good match for the price, helps smooth treble a bit, maintain that really nice timbre for the midrange, and gives more impact to the bass without over-exaggerating that lower bass hump, gives some nice linearity throughout the midrange and treble, and also really helps spatial recreation out. A monolith liquid spark really helps it out in the treble but can actually sound a bit overdone in the bass as it kinda emphasizes that roundness in the hifiman (but also gives it a pretty large stage), but I would still prefer it over something like an atom or heresy which would get way too sharp in the treble at times in comparison and lost some impact and body in the bass. The magni 3+ does a pretty good job but imo can sound harsh at times which isn’t the most enjoyable. It does scale with higher end amps, but personally if you were going to spend in that 500 range amp wise I would just suggest you change to a sundara unless you really love the tuning of the 5xx.

I should also add that it’s actually pretty dang detailed for the price, moreso than I initially realized, so that’s really nice, and it doesn’t shove it down your throat unless it happens to be in that 8-10k sibilance range lol, more detailed than most other cans I can think of in the 200 range

Also more into spatial creation, the 5xx has a bit of exaggerated width and verticalitiy/largeness which while isn’t the most faithful to the recording is tastefully done and tends to be enjoyable most of the time. I wouldn’t say it has that largeness and grandness of like a hex or arya, but it does have more of it than most headphones in this range imo. I do wish it had more depth to go along with this added width but that’s too much to ask at this price point lol. Imaging is still very sharp, I have a feeling that these would be good for some more serious gaming but I don’t really game anymore (but for casual games I would want more slam and impact)

So far though I really personally wouldn’t see a reason to buy the 4xx when the 5xx is only like 50 ish bucks more iirc, it’s well worth the extra cost imo

Edit: it depends on preferences, if you are after subbass performance, the 4xx/400i is still a better pick

9 Likes

@M0N mine arrive 2 days ago. I agreed with you. I feels it lacks impact and maybe some dynamics.

1 Like

Yeah it is kinda a shame since I really still do like them, but on some tracks I do wish for some more punch and authority, along with improved dynamics (but mainly punch here imo), if they could improve that these would be pretty incredible for the price

1 Like

My first Hifiman. Arrived 30 minutes ago. My super-initial impression? These, literally, stink. I understand some of the build concerns. They are very light in weight, and the clamp force is incredibly slight. Sound later.

1 Like

Yeah, a few mentioned about the chemical smell of the headband in Drop’s HE5XX discussion thread.

1 Like

Does an eq help improve bass impact.