🔶 Hifiman HE6

This is the official thread for the Hifiman HE6

This thread is for discussion and reviews.

• Type: Over Ear
  • Amp needed: Absolutely
  • Open Back

:red_circle: Hifiman Site Link

[Reviews]

Z Reviews

2 Likes

Hm. Guess nobody’s here :cry:

I’m here! :smile:

Pictured below is my HE-6 (4S modded) and my HE-500 (headband swapped). Old pic though, as I no longer have an SDAC-B after replacing it with a Bifrost 2. I usually drive my HE-6 from a Bryston 3B-ST shown below as well.

1 Like

The elusive 4 screw. Nice.

I just got the 6 screw yesterday in like new condition. It’s powered off BF2 and Mogwai SE.

It’s great so far. I know it can sound better with more power of course.

I just… hate the SMC connectors right now. I want to change the connectors so bad…

Congrats on scoring one. They are becoming harder to find, and they were scarce already. I also have an HE-6 6S, albeit modded, that I got off feilong4 when he bought his Susvara: https://www.reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/bwiq2g/making_the_hifiman_he6_comfortable_mod/

1 Like

Yeah I took the grills off to get a glimpse of the connector and as much as I want to mod the headphone to oblivion, I’ll hold off until a few of my friends have heard it in its stock form.

Unless the connector/cable dies of course, which is a very real possibility based on the questionable build.

@mbvjmc So I went to canjam a week ago and brought my Hifiman HE-6. Everyone who heard it pretty much liked it. Honestly I got to the point where I was AB testing with many more expensive cans like the Susvara and 1266. I’ve decided the HE-6 are the perfect can for me. Now I just want to hear the 4 screw… and maybe mod different connectors onto it :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

must of been yours I tried!

1 Like

Yessir that was mine. Funny seeing someone I met there in here haha.

1 Like

i remember you telling me about the grill mod and audeze vegan pads, but i noticed later when i looked at the picture you also put tuning paper too into the cups. I assume it help cuts down on the treble?

Tuning paper? You mean the black felt there? No that’s part of the stock configuration. Many people choose to take it out but I left mine in there.

@Blackrao Meze Elite, Abyss 1266, Kennerton Rognir, He 6, and rest of Canjam Headphone Impressions - YouTube

Yooo thanks for the impression on my HE-6!

Also as a Verite Closed owner myself, you’ve got good taste :wink:

Hit me up if you wanna chat some more haha

1 Like

haha yeah thanks for letting me try it, honestly didn’t think i’d ever get a chance to try one. he6 bass is wild

1 Like

Oh and I find the more power it gets the more controlled it gets. Bass especially so.

That’s a lotta :moneybag::open_mouth:

HE-6 aftermarket is catching up to what it should cost based on sound quality :grin:

1 Like

There is a guy with a 4 screw in Canada that is rated as a 6 out of 11, condition wise (11 being brand new).
Asking $2,500.00!

A lot of times this hobby makes me shake my head. I guess whatever the market will bear…( or is it bare?)

Almost triple what I paid for my HE6se V2’s.

1 Like

It’s circa half the price of a used Susvara :open_mouth:

1 Like

Well I actually prefer HE-6 (both 4 screw and 6 screw) over Susvara on the audio chains I’ve heard. You can hear the ‘family resemblance’ so to speak. But yes the market is catching on.

HE-6 is a discontinued $1300 headphone (MSRP) with the build quality of a $100 headphone but the sound quality of a $3000 headphone. And I stand by that statement haha.

1 Like

Oh, but I should clarify since I’ve experimented with the HE-6 a lot in the past few months. I now own both 4 screw EP and 6 screw variants.

I currently just use the stock grills instead of the hexagon grills like I did in the past.

And I use Hifiman Velpads now on them. Stock pads are a bit bright with a 2khz recession (not to mention are hella uncomfortable) while the audeze vegans give them air and space but dampen the detail. Though the vegans are a great change-of-pace from time-to-time.

1 Like