đŸ”¶ HiFiMan Sundara

Yeah, definitely not a bad deal. I do wish however that they weren’t so misleading if you check the sundara open box it says it has a 365 day return policy. I wouldn’t have known it was unreturnable unless I actually went and read the entire return policy

3 Likes

Have any Sundara owners tried the Audeze LCD-1’s? Both open back planar’s and in a similar price category.

They mainly go for a different signature and use case imo. The secret sauce of the LCD 1 is it’s tuning and refinement for the price imo, it’s technical performance is good but not excellent for the price imo. The sundara is going for a more neutral bright type of sound, more light and airy, with pretty solid technicalities for the price. The LCD 1 is more of a more Harman ish sound to it, but they’ve really refined it well for the market

1 Like

Worth buying if you already have the Sundara? More bass than the Sundara?

I do think it had more bass quantity than the sundara, but I wouldn’t call it a bassy phone either, but I do think it has a bit more body than the sundara

I think you could own both, but they are on a similar tier with mainly different tunings, they aren’t extremely different

1 Like

Joshua complained about the lack of mids and Resolve talked about lack of dynamics and “no” soundstage
 might not be a problem to some but they’re not on my list anymore.

So I personally don’t notice too much a lack of dynamics, but I wouldn’t call them a very dynamic headphone either, I think they have a good amount for more monitoring tbh

For the soundstage, it is smaller than most audeze, the lcd 1 just kinda barely makes the mark for me there

1 Like

The lcd1 needed an eq to be enjoyable. Out of the box sound was so boring to me the bass was almost nonexistent to my ears. The treble performance was pretty good but I wish it had a bit more air.

1 Like

I could agree, I mean it’s meant to be neutral/flat for studio by design, I guess when I listen to it, that’s what I was expecting out of it

Hmm interesting, you were getting a good seal? Bass is solid from my experience and it’s pretty damn linear

1 Like

The stock pads were a bit too small for me ears so I probably wasn’t able to get a good seal but I did pad swap them with Brainwavz sheepskin pads and nothing changed. Maybe my pair was a dud who knows

They are smaller, I would assume seal, I also really haven’t bothered trying aftermarket pads either so idk

I have a question for all the Sundara fans. What music genres do you think the Sundara is best suited to? Also what’s your favorite amp for them?
My Sundara’s haven’t been getting much use since I haven’t their found their niche yet. I’m wondering if they don’t appeal to me that much because of my musical tastes.

They jive well with almost anything I’ve found but perform really well with faster music like rock, metal and jazz. I love how guitar distortion sounds on these.

Asgard 3 hands down. Liquid spark doesn’t have enough juice and I haven’t even tried the zen or darkvoice. The a3 has enough power and gives the sundara nice speed and separation.

2 Likes

After reading that I immediately went to go listen to some metal on the Asgard 3. I had never got around to trying that combination yet. The Asgard makes metal on the Sundara much more enjoyable compared to something like the 789. Although I still prefer more emphasis in the lows to give the guitars more impact. Maybe a little EQ can get it close to perfect

My music is old and new rock, blues and jazz. All sounds great on my Liquid Platinum.

1 Like

Yeah I could see that. I think I’ve just grown so accustomed to the sundara that most things just sound ‘right’ on it. I compare everything to it as a sort of baseline. I’d really like to hear a focal headphone to get a somewhat similar sound with more bass.

You should have hopped on the Elegia train when you had the chance lol. Other than that I think Clear is what you’d want since it’s more neutral compared to the Elex.

You’re not wrong! I used my Sundara’s on the weekend and then broke out the Elex’s on Monday :+1:

1 Like

Yeah I’m kicking myself for not getting the elegia tbh. M0N posted an ad for a clear for sale in Canada for $1100 in another thread but that’s quite a tier jump. Really tempting but I’d probably need a new amp at that tier as well and I’m still really fond of the a3.

I’ve had my Sundaras about a month. Tho my tastes are wide ranging, I spend a lot of time with classical/full orchestral, piano,female vocals, Snarky Puppy style jazz etc. For me, I am loving the detail and soundstage. Also orchestral instruments sound “right” as to the timbre. Currently using an Atom and considering an e30 with Asgard 3. In short, I like 'em!

3 Likes