🔶 HiFiMan Sundara

I find that I prefer instrumental and acoustic music on my Sundara’s the most. When I want to listen to heavy rock/metal, I prefer my dynamic driver HP’s

I find these really relaxing to listen to. I used these for a weekend and then went to the Elex’s on Monday. Used the Elex’s right through Saturday. Tried the Meze 99’s on Sunday, but the LP just has too much power for them.
Plugged the Sundara’s back in this morning and man they sound good! I find the Elex’s intense, exciting and addictive. I just find the Sundara’s full, open and fun.

These have surprised me as much as the Liquid Spark and the HD58X’s. Little gems that I really wasn’t expecting a lot from, but turned out to be a Really nice surprise.

6 Likes

yessssssssssssss my thoughts exactly. the sundaras are more relaxing and enjoyable in a simple way. while the elex, there is more excitement there with a different sort of depth. and the 58x is still def an amazing headphone for sure, super chill but nice

1 Like

If there was such thing as a palet cleanser for headphones, this would be it. When I am coming off several days of tube gear, Electrostatics or closed backs these give you a clean, clear, open sound that is a refreshing change. Not better, just different and very nice.

2 Likes

i could see that, but btw how would you compare an estat to the sundara? ive never heard estats, i assumed an estat would typically sound cleaner. altho i guess the sundara kinda have their own signature that’s just clean.

Thanks for the comparisons guys. Tho I love my Sundaras, I have been wondering about a dymanic driver to compliment them. I do like the presentation of ksc 75s and have wondered about Elex etc, but do like a fairly wide soundstage. Wish koss had a full size open back titanium driver for $250-300!

1 Like

Are the sundara a good entry point into planar open back?
I’m coming from IEM with starfield, tin t2, kz zs 10.
I listen to a wide range of genres.

1 Like

Which of the IEMs you have do you like most, and what would you want to change about them? What would you be driving them with, and what’s your budget?

Sundaras aren’t necessarily an ‘entry’ level, but have certainly become a benchmark for affordable planars.

if you like a neutral to neutral bright sound signature and an average soundstage isn’t a deal breaker and have an amp to power them then these are a no brainer imo

1 Like

My daily driver are the starfield atm.
They are easy going, and are not offensive.
I enjoy the zs pro but they can be harsh in the treble.

I had thought about tin p1 in its thread, thinking they would be an indication of ‘planar’ and whether the experience would be similar.With the P2 incoming I’ll wait to see if they improve before buying into them.

I want to investigate sound signatures, but I’m not a basshead.
I have the topping d50s,A50 and p5 on their way from various slow shipping.

1 Like

Mine are the Koss system, so entry level. I find the sound kind of thin so I EQ it quite a bit using a Schiit Loki. I do like the sound and find it very detailed.
But I am preferring the Elex’s and Sundara’s which I find more natural.

I am going to spend the summer (next 90 days) comparing the Grado GH2’s, Sundara’s, Elex’s and the Koss system to see what I really love.

And to a lesser degree, try to settle on a closed back.

1 Like

I would definitely say yes! And I am not a planar fan boy. I hated the HE4XX’s and was underwhelmed by the Oppo PM3’s. I had pretty much written planar’s off as being good only if you spent huge money.

The Sundara’s laid waste to that theory. Now I am curious, down the road, to climb the planar tree.

1 Like

I really don’t find them bright at all. However, I am driving them with a Liquid Platinum.

1 Like

gotcha, that’s interesing. seems like a pretty niche headphone while the sundara and elex are more well rounders that it’s hard to go wrong with

the a50/d50s will serve these just fine id imagine… the bass is super neutral and flat so youre good there too… if the sound sig excites you then they might be something to look at

yeah they seem pretty neutral up top to me as well but I think on a more neutral amp then what we are both using is would be brightish but not to a large degree

2 Likes

I did try them briefly on the SP200 and they weren’t as smooth.

2 Likes

I picked my amps on basis that they didnt mess about with sound in a significant way. And if I fall deep into the rabbit hole , I can upgrade at later time.

2 Likes

Only thing to watch out for on the A50 with low impedance planars, would be the output impedance, which is <4.7ohm single ended and <9.4 balanced and can sometimes impact frequency response in weird ways. Plenty of power, but won’t always yield the best results. I don’t have either the Sundara or A50 to test, but just something to consider. At 37ohms, the Sundara might be okay, but anything down in the 13-20 ohm range (i.e DCA Aeon) might be another story due to the low damping factor.

3 Likes

Will do.
Although, iirc Zeis tried out Sundara on A50 with no issue. I’ll make sure any way.

Update: A50 has landed in UK!!!:hugs:

Edit; yup he runs Sundara on the A50 in the $200 amp panel. No complaints.

I’m still at iem with move to over ears after summer. I can see myself buying another amp in that case.

I’ll just grab a better amp if I fall deeper into the hole