šŸ”¶ HiFiMan Sundara

FWIW I also had no issues.
Bought new from Amazon.

Thatā€™s a good plan, I have the 6XX and I like them both.

I also really, really, really liked the sound of the Meze 99 Noir, but they were too small for me.

Neutral wide open Sundara
Mid forward narrow 650
Closed dark Meze

I meanā€¦ Damn!

I havenā€™t been in the whole headphone game for a very long time, and these Sundaraā€™s are the first cans Iā€™ve bought since Dan Clarkā€™s original Mr Speakers Mad Dogā€™s (which I canā€™t seem to find anywhere either since our last move).

From my own research, Iā€™ve seen failures of such things like the ear pads, driver connections and possibly the 3.5mm connections in the cups. Iā€™m not sure what revisions those were or if they were the original Sundaraā€™s.

My question is, are those still possible QC issues with the latest and greatest revisions?

Iā€™m not concerned about the pads as I will most likely swap them out at some point anyway.

I got mine in januari 2021.
Itā€™s perfect. pads, drivers and cable are all snuggly in place still even with my rather clumsy movements :stuck_out_tongue:
Sample size = 1 soā€¦ you knowā€¦

1 Like

@Chops Iā€™ve had mine about 6 or 7 monthsā€¦no problems at all, but I am careful with my ā€œthings.ā€ Have mentioned it before, but love them for classical. I joined Primephonic and am very happy with their catalogue, search, podcasts etc. They have recently added Maestro on some pieces, which has comments/explanations as the piece is playing (if you want.) Also just introduced a forum, which I find delightful as well as helpful, tho time consuming, lol.

1 Like

same here no qc issues

1 Like

Thatā€™s good news for sure, guys. Thanks for the replies.

Honestly, I wasnā€™t too terribly worried about it as I donā€™t plan on swapping cables all the time, wonā€™t be blasting them because you knowā€¦ My ears! And I always take extremely good care of my gear. I have gear from new from back in the late 80ā€™s that still looks brand new, if that tells you anything.

Mine should be showing up tomorrow along with some other goodies, not audio related but Iā€™ll be making them audio related. Then the amp will be here (or should be) Friday.

1 Like

@Chops Which amp did you settle on?

The Topping A90.

Holding off on the DAC for a bit though. Looking for something a little on the warm-ish side, so the D90 is out.

Just going to be using the balanced line-out of my HiBy R5 Saber for now until I decide on a DAC. Not sure if I want a DAC just for headphones, or replace my Bifrost 2 with something in the main system and use the Bifrost 2 for the headphone stack.

1 Like

Bifrost 2 > a90 > Sundara? = Detail, lol. Let us know!

1 Like

Sick setup!
SU-8 > SH-9 > Sundara here and loving it.

Iā€™m writing up my full length review on the Sundara :wink:

1 Like

Yeah, but not as detailed as what Iā€™ve heard about the D90. The Bifrost 2 is known for a fuller, slightly rounded sound with great bass, and it does just that.

Thanks!

One of my brothers has an SU-8 and M400 that I should be able to barrow and try out. So maybe try them out and possibly buy one of them off of him if heā€™s wanting to sell.

1 Like

In my understanding theyā€™re both quite linear so maybe not what touā€™re looking for.

1 Like

Got my Sundara in February, been daily driving them during work from home since then, very happy with them. I did just change the pads out to Dekoni Elite Hybrids because I absolutely love their memory foam. Iā€™ve not noticed any major change in sound with this swap.

Chain is D90>A90>Sundara

3 Likes

Well I meant to say ā€œpossibly buy IF I like one of themā€. LOL

1 Like

How does that chain sound with the Sundaraā€™s?

I was thinking that would make things a bit too analytical being that both units are quite linear and detailed.

I was just saying to someone I didnā€™t feel like headphones need memory foam. Could you elaborate?

From my experience the bifrost is more detailed and more technically proficient than the d90 fwiw

1 Like

Iā€™ve been happy with it, but the 90 stack is an upgrade from a Sennheiser GSX1000 so thereā€™s probably a grain of salt to take there. Iā€™ve not had anything else to A/B againstā€¦ yetā€¦

Everything Iā€™m listening to is very crisp, no harshness of any kind (though I think thatā€™s not to be expected here). Iā€™m more of a technical person though so maybe thatā€™s my thingā€¦

1 Like