šŸ”¶ HiFiMan Sundara

If Iā€™m not wrong amps that donā€™t have a linear drop off till 50ohm are often current driven, for example a violectric v280 has its highest power delivery at 50ohm and less power at 32ohm, where most other amps have a linear drop off from for example 16ohm

1 Like

So Iā€™ve been listening to these since I got them on Monday morning; just wanted to add some quick thoughts for anyone like me who was curious about these.

HiFiMan has always made me nervous particularly regarding QC issues. It seemed like there was a never-ending spree of pictures and complaints posted on here a few years ago regarding any headphone at the Ananda price point or lower. Drivers failing, pads ripping or falling off, etc. But so far I can say that the build itself seems okay and I agree mostly with Lachlan from Passion for Sound on the overall build quality being acceptable which was my biggest concern.

Sound-wise theyā€™re really good. Really good. This is only my 2nd planar (DCA Aeon 2 Noire) and I can see what people mean about the sound being natural and detailed. Decent soundstage although generally thatā€™s a low priority for me, and the imaging is great from what I can tell so far.

Iā€™m running them through the Bifrost 2 and either my Loxjie P20 for a tube sound or the Jot 2 for solid state and it sounds great on both into a Hart Audio balanced cable. I actually disagree with a lot of the reviews saying the low end is lacking, I think with the BF2 thereā€™s a distinct presence there and sure itā€™s not a bass cannon but the bass is punchy and fast. I probably wouldnā€™t reach for these first listening to electronic music but they do just fine. You could probably add a little EQ here if you so desired.

Acoustic guitar sounds GREAT. Very crisp and natural sounding. Iā€™ve really been enjoying listening to classic rock (Marshall Tucker Band, Doobie Brothers, Pink Floyd), Nickel Creek, O Brother Where Art Thou soundtrack, etc.

Now for my totally unfair comparison: Iā€™ve been A/B testing these alongside my Focal Clear Mg and there are 2 things it blows the Sundara out of the water on: the bass response and the dynamics. At first I thought this would be a knock against the Sundara but after thinking about it for a while, I was like, well yeah I mean weā€™d expect a $1500 headphone to be way better than a $350 in most if not all areas. The fact that the Sundara holds up so well in detail really shows itā€™s strength. A Sundara gets you 80-90% within $1XXX headphones and thatā€™s an incredible value.

So, barring no unforeseen QC issues, this is a SOLID headphone at the price point and I agree with the near unanimous reviews that this is best in class at the price point, and would make a great all-around headphone for most kinds of music, particularly where there is a focus on the vocalist and on instrumentation.

I have some various ear pads laying around so I ordered a pair of the rings from HiFiMan and will try some pad-swapping out to see if I like any pads with it, but so far I havenā€™t had many complaints with the stock pads.

4 Likes

lol, itā€™s funny to read this after I just posted my comment above. Yeah, thereā€™s no question that theyā€™re a really great value. I mentioned the Clear Mg and youā€™d be hard-pressed to find a non-audiophile who felt it was really worth $1150 more than the Sundara.

Donā€™t get me wrong, the Clear Mg are still my favorite headphones, but I know itā€™s all relative and I would have no problem daily-driving these, they sound great.

1 Like

One of the 3.5mm connectors was just loose in the earcup on mine :stuck_out_tongue:
Opened them both up. Saw one was glued on, the other one wasnā€™t not a trace of glueā€¦ Underpaid factory worker just ran out of glue in her glue gun and decided to just use the empty one? :stuck_out_tongue: Who knows!

Anyway some superglue later it was sitting perfect. Theyā€™re super easy to open up and mess with yourself. So even with clear QC issues, mine turned out fine in the end :smiley:

4 Likes

All aboard the sundara hype train, I really would of saved myself alot of money if I heard this headphone firstā€¦

4 Likes

Soā€¦can we call it The Sundara Gang yet? :wink:

3 Likes

Yes. We need to come up with a secret handshake nowā€¦

3 Likes

i also did this because i have MT-602 lying around. everyone should buy this. amazing value.

2 Likes

Ummmmā€¦ yeeeah. Nevermind! LOL!

I joined the Sundara gang a week ago. Really loving it so far!

8 Likes

welcome to the family and i just joined a month ago and am also in love. you know the feeling when you wake up and cant wait to go to your desk and sit and binge listen

5 Likes

They are a time machine. Whenever I put them on I somehow lose 2 or 3 hours!!

4 Likes

Yes exactly! Thatā€™s what I have been doing everyday for the past week haha. It is like a drug to me :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Might wanna take a look at the MT603

Oh, now we are talking. I did not know this product existed, though I always wondered why they went from MT-602 to MT-604ā€¦ I just thought it was because, you know, 602 has 2 tubes, 604 has 4. The 603 fits the bill! The price is certainly right. And I like that it uses the 12AU7 tube.

As it turns out, I had an AH-HA moment this weekend and decided to try running through the TA-20ā€™s line-out function and feed the SP200 amp that way, and was blown away by the result. I wonder if the 603 would be even betterā€¦

1 Like

Just a note. I havenā€™t tried the MT-603. Just the 602 (as preamp) :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Hey all, just picked up the Sundara 2020 not too long ago. Iā€™m in the market for a new DAC/AMP stack, but will only be buying the amp for now. Any recommendations for these headphones?

Be careful you have a clean source if youā€™re not gonna buy a dac. I almost send my Sundara back, thinking they were broken because my amp just amplified the shitnoise from my pc :stuck_out_tongue:

As for an amp. The Subdara LOVE power. Anything else depends on your taste. Want warm and cozy? Maybe a hybrid tube? Want clean and cold? THX amp?

Whatā€™s the budget? Where you from?

I currently have a Liquid Spark DAC. What are the benefits of a THX amp? Budget is ideally $400 and under but 500 and under is okay too.

THX does a lot of power. Very clean. Very cheap. But thatā€™s it. Itā€™s not exciting, thereā€™s no specific signature, thereā€™s no ā€˜soulā€™.

Just very clean (as in distortion and stuff), cheap power. I run an SMSL SH-9. It sounds boring as fuck. But itā€™s 270$ and providing 6 watts of power. And some people just love clean boring power. They donā€™t wanna hear the amp. They just want the amp to ā€˜amplifyā€™ the sound without coloring it too much.

Basically the opposite of tubes. Very colored. You really really hear what the tubes at toyour music, but itā€™s on paper ā€˜worseā€™ because of distortion numbers and shit.

1 Like