đŸ”¶ HiFiMan Sundara

Yeah. The Echo is an OTL tube amp.

1 Like

I can confirm that the Sundara sounds really good on a hybrid amp. I have a TA-20 and that pairing is pretty sweet.

1 Like

Is it just me that finds the Sundara to have a certain weightiness throughout the whole frequency range that gives everything a thick sound? It’s masking a lot of detail that I can easily pull out with my Shure 1840/1540’s which are definitely more airy and light sounding.

Does anyone else experience this and is it something that can be rectified with a change of pads, eq, or something more surgery-like?

If it can be solved with EQ are there any base settings to hand as a starting point?

I use the Oratory1990 harman target eq settings but i doubt thats what you are looking for.

1 Like

Thanks, I’ve had a little look around but haven’t experimented with EQ yet.

I ordered a cheap £15 cable from Amazon as the OEM one was pathetic. It used to drop the HF from both channels when I moved the cable (in a particular way) at the 3.5mm jack at the amp side - very strange thing to happen as the low-end was still ok. The cable must have had a high-resistance or something due to a bad connection as the new cable is completely different. Much more sparkle to the highs and the bass is definitely more controlled/less fluffy. I’m going to check out the OEM cable and see what’s up with it.

My favorite combo for Sundaras is the zen DAC with bass boost and the g111 as an Amp
What can I say i love that bass button :heart_eyes:

1 Like

The original cable aka the medical tubing is an insult to any customer to be honest. Needs to be replaced asap.

2 Likes

How am i the only one who kinda likes it xD

There are diffrent versions of it as far as I know. A better one and the stiff tubing one I received

I must have received the stiff tubing type, it just wouldn’t straighten out either. The perma-coiled effect was only good for storing the cable away. It is now stored. Permanently.

Hmmmm
 Mine maintained a bit of it’s “rolled up” state.
But not too much
 Over the entire length it at rest now maybe bends about 45-ish degrees?

Actually seems to work well in my setup. Though I only use it when at my PC. When att the TV I got my amazing Periapt :smiley:

Nevermind, the new pair sounds bassier.

This is what I am talking about. Just useless.

2 Likes

So
 after playing some music for bit through the Sundara’s then pausing playback my set seems to make a clicking noise through both drivers. It’s akin to light rain hitting a tin roof. This happens even when unplugged from the amp so I guess it’s mechanical, residual electrical static?, or possibly to a lesser extent thermal? It gets worse the longer they’re played.

I guess my next question is
 What are the alternatives in the legacy headphone manufacturer’s market with the same tuning? I’ve literally given up with Chi-Fi gear at this point.

I heard Hifiman has good customer service. Maybe you could reach out? Perhaps you have a faulty unit

1 Like

Yeah they could very well have but I think my best option is returning them to the seller unfortunately.

The sound is fantastic but I can’t enjoy them due to niggly little problems that may occur at any time, even with a replacement set.

Looking the the ATH-R70X to replace them.

(P.s. not saying all chifi are bad, or all legacy manufacturers are faultless)

2 Likes

I haven’t read all the posts, but from what I gathered, it looks like there are minimal-to-no differences in sound between the stock “PaliPads” and Dekoni hybrids? I’ve only had these headphones for a few months and generally quite careful with them, but the pad’s surface on the left side is starting to separate (I assume glue-related) exposing the blue foam underneath.

Are the Dekoni’s of substantially better quality where I don’t have to worry about that in the future, or am I better off buying a second set of PaliPads from Hifiman?

I personally haven’t had any trouble with my stock pads, so I’m assuming you got a bad pair.

However one does hear a lot of complaints about QC at Hifiman, so I think your chanses with Dekoni are better. But since you’ve only had them a few months, why not contact hifiman customer support? In most countries you’re still under warranty right?

1 Like

Small update to my post, the older pair has actually more treble and will be sold today. I must have mixed them up. The older pair has a smidge more treble while the mids and bass are pushed slightly in the back. I immediately wanted to turn up the volume (to make the mids/bass louder) until I realized why.

Hey guys,

I received the sundara last week from a shop based here in the UK.

So far I have mixed feelings regarding these headphones, with such praise being handed out I was expecting their to be no issues, however despite enjoying the natural tone and timbre I find them to be at times a little dull sounding with not enough weight and body on instruments.

I’m running these on a gustard H16 so power is not an issue, has anyone else come across what I am describing?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Jacques