đŸ”¶ HiFiMan Sundara

Have you used a lot of planar headphones prior to this?

probably because the headphone has flat bass

Only used dynamic driver headphones before ( DT1990, HD650, E-MU Teak)

My hunch is that you just may prefer dynamic driver headphones.
What genres of music are you listening to most frequently?
Have you tried manipulating the frequency response via EQ at all?

Sorry for bein so forward, but do you have a return window?

Would have to try more planars first.

Bought the sundaras as a complement to my DT1990s which I use for electronic.

Have found that the sundaras sound decent when paired with anything orchestral or jazz, when it comes to modern genres the lack of sub bass and laid back character holds them back.

Have tried to add a bass shelf at 50hz, but I have actually found that I prefer the stock tuning.

Edition XS. Nuff said.

EDIT: I too have the 6XX, Emu Teak, Elex
 he400i/he4xx

Yeah got a two week return period, so will probably give these another couple of days then make a final decision.

I think this goes to show the importance of system synergy, what works in one system might not work in another, this is an aspect of this hobby which I think often gets overlooked.

Hmm, could give the Edition XS a go, but will probably wait a bit until some more reviews come out.

You’re telling me you haven’t checked out the XS thread right here on Hifiguides?

All three of your prior headphones have more sub-bass than the Sundara. That could account for the lack of impact or thinness you’re perceiving in the sound.

1 Like

If you like the Sundara except for the thin bass, then you’ll probably LOVE the Edition XS. It has much more sub-bass and bass than the Sundara while still being controlled and detailed throughout the frequency range.

3 Likes

Have had a look around here and there, but again everyone has different amps and dacs listening to all types of music, when you follow a specific reviewer who’s opinion has been reliable before it’s much easier to get an idea on whether you will enjoy the sound signature of the headphone.

The problem is not even really in the bass region. Across all areas the sound is a bit lifeless, maybe I got a faulty unit, I dunno.

This Edition XS does look promising from the reviews I have seen though, makes you question whether people will still consider the ananda now the price gap has been closed.

1 Like

That’s what usually happened when someone try planas for the first time. You are used to the excursion force dynamic drivers have. Use your sundaras for a few days only and then decide. Happened to me a few years ago.

4 Likes

I really liked this review by DMS
 Reminded me what got me into this hobby

The Sundara was my first hifi headphone, and the one that got me addicted to this hobby
 It has so much going for it, soundstage, resolution, detail and instrument separation, planar magnetic bass that doesnt drown out the detail
 Even after trying alot of other headphones including more expensive ones, I still enjoy coming back to and listening to the Sundaras now and then
 They were my first planar magnetic and open backed headphones and kindof blew my mind with how immersive they sounded compared to other headphones I had previously

3 Likes

HiFiMan undercuts itself sometimes more than its competitors. The HE-400se had stealth magnets before Sundara and was released for $150, $200 less than Sundara.

And now you have the Edition XS with fantastic sound and more bass than Ananda at $200 less than Ananda.

Thanks, HiFiMan!

3 Likes

Have you tried contacting Hifiman support? If its within warranty period, Hifiman has pretty responsive customer support

1 Like

Try frequency sweep to check for driver imbalance

Any comparison between the Sundara and Edition XS?

1 Like