High and Low pass filtering question

So I finally purchased a mini DSP for my desktop setup to be able to apply a high pass to my speakers and low pass to the sub…

In general, do you find pretty much all setups benefit from filtering?

Just looking for peoples general thoughts on it.

I would say yes.
Almost all speakers have really high distortion after a certain point.
Highpassing hands those difficult bass frequencies over to the sub and lets your speakers play louder and without distortion in the bass.
It can also help with room problems because your speaker position might not be optimal for bass frequencies and a sub can be placed whereever it works best.

I will do a high pass- low pass setup too very soon.
Instead of a Minidsp I’ll use a 4 channel audio interface because lower price and better DAC and do corrections in EQ APO.

This will also work with the upcoming Dirac Live Bass Control which does all the high and low pass filtering automatically but requires a multichannel DAC/Interface.

woofers love playing midbass. they dont love playing bass. there is not a woofer on the planet that won’t perform better when high passed. as julian pointed out, you get more spl and power handling. bass takes a lot more energy to produce then mids or especially treble. distortion is dependent on speaker and its design and parts. a well designed speaker shouldnt be playing out of its reach and so distortion shouldnt be as much of an issue. but for most entry speakers, it can help for sure as they try to squeeze all the bass they can out of them to make them “full range”.

1 Like