High end / expensive cables are noting but snake oil! - DISCUSS!

A Youtube sound demo is…one of the last things that should be used for evaluation. But really, it shouldn’t be used at all.

Anyway, cables. You need a certain gauge to transfer a certain amount of power. That’s electricity 101.
Other than that, shielded signal cables should be used.

And that’s about it in my opinion. If you can pass a blind test and choose the el expensivo cables, more power to you. I can’t.

1 Like

then how do we actually evaluate

i am not into audiosciencereview style objectivity i want to know what something actually sounds like… and unless you have hifi dealers who will just loan you a high end cable to test you cant really know (and even then there would be doubt because of placebo effect and you need someone else to change it for you and everything)

this shit is all about emotions for me… do what you want

#1a You have a highly resolving system.
#1b You buy cables that you’re able to return for full refund.

#2 You have a dealer set it up for you.

Oh and you use quality hi def recordings. Not youtube.

Yes.    

I just made speakercables for my 2 systems. 12AWG Copper cable from Amazon for $19.99 for 30ft, also used Monoprice banana plugs and some shrink tape. That is all that I will ever need in my life, I also buy Amazon basics RCA and any other interconnects needed.

I dont mind spending a few bucks over Walmart grade junk, but there is no point in spending a fortune.

i legitimately can’t do that, the only hifishop nearby is about an hour from and back, i cant open my eyes because i would see the difference between the cables, and i exclusively listen on headphones so its not like wire where it would be easier (and i am trying to test slightly more expensive cables on a turntable, which is not able to easily and linearly tell a difference immediately and do true double blind)

i am not even wanting to spend a lot on a cable, just i wonder if a 40 dollar audioquest cable might sound better than a simple monoprice cable because i hear conflicting shit and just want to do something to make things sound better than meh

I get it. My only response is, if life were easy we’d all be at the beach right now :man_shrugging:

I use the bottom of the line AQ cables because I trust the build quality. Otherwise I’d go even cheaper. Once upon a time I was making my own cables but got lazy lol.

However my ultimate reason for never spending big money on a cable is the following: (let’s assume you can hear differences) all you’re doing is very minor changes in the tonality. Why spend the money on a cable to match that one specific system you have when you can just buy an EQ and use it with any system?

1 Like

In today’s world with Amazon, quality cables are not expensive at all, maybe if you’re a multi millionaire and have a 50k system, sure splurge on boutique cables.

Blue Jeans Cables are quality non-expensive stuff.

I doubt anyone over 30 and certainly 40 can’t hear the difference, even when taking care, hearing goes down fast with age.

1 Like

literally the same price for me compared to the audioquest evergreens on the official turntable companies site (people have been saying buy the blue jeans stuff and they kinda piss me off because when i have things i am thinking about buying… whether it be an ortofon cartridge or a pro-ject or a dragonfly or whatever is popular and acclaimed), they get on me and tell me to use what THEY recommend… i am one indecisive bitch

Unless you have noise or something that you can trace as being the fault of your cables, don’t even think about it. People will tell you all kinds of shit. I can tell you that you need $100,000 amps. The fact that I say that, doesn’t actually mean you need them lol. Relax and enjoy what you have.

1 Like

they originally said blue jeans because i had 60 hz hum but i think that might have been because i had my schiit mani on top of a cheap bookshelf that was on my carpet i only used for headphone jack…

i still am probably going to buy the evergreens for 2 subjective reasons

1. i want to actually have experience myself and see if i have a personal enjoyment with a 40 dollar cable
  2. the monoprice cable is bulky, ugly, and it feels like a struggle that its fitting into the mani because the separation of the 2 cables is too close to the terminations (though tbf the blue jeans could do the same fix probably but i like the green colour)

Do it. If you can afford a more expensive (whatever that happens to be in your case) cable to try out, then you can decide for yourself if cables make a difference. Not sure where you’re located but in the US you can get some AQ cables on Amazon - so you can return if you want.

1 Like

Have you heared how DankPods does his demo clips? To me, that is as close as it gets to a useable YouTube sound demo for headphones.
The demo from the cable video is not as good in my opinion.

Careful with shielding. Depending on the length and protocol, the capacitance created by the shield can make the signal unuseable.
For example the I2C protocol gets a bit sketchy past 0.5nF, so twisted pair without shielding is better than shielded.

And shielding on optical cables is just stupid.

We don’t?

I will buy cables that last. Thick mantles made from rubber or silicone, if shielding, preferably made from copper strands to make soldering easy.

Obviously nothing is absolute but we’re talking about the average hi-fi/head-fi system here.

1 Like

Problem with youtube sound demos is 2 things:
#1 youtube is not high resolution
#2 you’re listening to sound that’s been through someone’s system, out of a transducer (speaker, headphone etc.) and then recorded by what I doubt is studio grade equipment. So there are at least 5 components that will each degrade and color the sound: the source, the DAC, the amp, the speaker, the mic.

To me, there is a big difference between a demo and measurements/reference.

A demo like DankPods does it gives a reference (in his case HD600’s) and then the headphone he compares to cutting back and forth.

To take good (and meaningful) measurements, the setup is way more involved. I put some thought into this a while ago and then concluded it to be not worth the hassle. In other words, I can’t find my notes :neutral_face:

2 Likes

tbh i legit love dankpods demos… i know im not getting the EXACT experience but i do notice the different equalizations of the headphones, I notice that certain headphones have more air to them and more bass and stuff and though you don’t understand stuff like soundstage with it (I don’t care about soundstage that much because I’m used to cheap headphones with almost no soundstage), you get to know what you can expect to hear if you get a real demo at a studio

Yall debating whether different cables sound better or not. STUPID no cables is the real answer. Bluetooth sounds better than any cable baby. Cables just degrade sound adding another thing in the way of the music

4 Likes