High end / expensive cables are noting but snake oil! - DISCUSS!

Does this tie into HT and zeos search for a solution to run multiple DACs ?

For anyone that thinks cables make a difference and wants to buy some quality (not god tier stuff) cables, I’ll be sharing a list of Canare Connectors with Belden 1505F double shielded coax; As well as quite a few Audioquest Copperhead series RCA pairs. Various lengths. Feel free to PM me. Priced between $15 to $40 per pair for most of them.

Hey why not take the opportunity while the topic is hot? :slight_smile:

2 Likes

@db_Cooper sets up shop lol…

4 Likes

only 75ohm? What kinda of toy shop is this?

2 Likes

There are definitely different use cases for cables. Some are built more durable, some are build in pure silver (material costs are higher), some are built with more shielding., and some people just want something aesthetically pleasing. Will you hear a difference? Probably not. There is definitely snake oil out there when it comes with cables and the less informed. You’ ll get alot of people who get touchy solely to validate their purchase. To each their own as along as they understand what they are buying.

1 Like

Just bought a pair of 8’ Kimber 8TC speaker cables. Am I no longer allowed to play reindeer games?

1 Like

I can’t hear a difference but I sure-as-shit appreciate the quality and build, those Kimber look pretty. I went with Blue Jeans welded Canare 4s11’s…Never again a loose connection, last one cost me a bundle in amp repairs…

1 Like

Deep discount, 40 cents on the dollar. But hey, I’ll never tell. But yea, just the pretty factor.

2 Likes

I didn’t read all the replies, nor watch the video, but I for one will stand on the side of cables making a difference. It may not be measurable, and it may make it sound worse, but I have heard audible changes when switching cables. It may be the width of the soundstage or it may be the speed of the decay on a note. If you’ve had a DAC with fpga filters, I find it similar to that. Switching the filters (or cables in this example) will usually create a slight change in the presentation. You may have to search for the change, and it may only be evident on some music, but it’s there.

That said, I don’t really care about any of that. I originally started buying cables to replace shitty stock ones. Once I started getting better headphones and iems, I started investing in better cables that could be used on more than one headphone. The most important factor for me is that the cable has little/no memory. If it adds a subtle change to soundstage, great. But I’m much more concerned with it not annoying me.

3 Likes

Same here especially for low impedance IEM’s…IEM then Chain then Tips then Cable is how I’d rank IEM tweakage :nerd_face:

2 Likes

Here is my take based on guitar and audio work…

When i played guitar i had a shitty starter cable, it broke so i had to buy a nicer one. Man the difference was immense. Guitar, amp, room, settings all the same. It was just better and it had the ole’ took the blanket off affect. I was like 13 and not looking or expecting a change, i just though a cable is a cable is a cable.

Next, I went with a mogami gold and man it was better. Not a huge leap like before, just a step or so, but it was enough that i HAD TO have the next level mogami. It was like $80 for 12ft and built nice but i plugged it in and oh… It sounds the same. Maybe distorted guitars are not the best measurement but i would of had to look real deep to see any change.

I am sure audiophile cables are the same. Low end ones roll something off and once you take steps up, the less gets rolled away. I think this is true to a point where your solid mogamis, canares, blue jeans are about the best you can get. Maybe some things are a little better but any upcharge could be way outside anything linear and actual SQ increase is non-existant to minimal at best.

Jimi Hendrix used a “bad” cable that rolled off highs to get his signature sound. I think that these really high end cable makers can be of use if they find a way to attenuate things and help fine tune peoples set up. But cables cannot add, or make things magically appear. Their cost is silly and marketing digs into peoples need to have the best and not miss out. I think most of the really high end should go this way where its more of a flavor than promising it all.

3 Likes

well…there definitely can be really bad / cheap cables.

1 Like

Then the opposite would be true! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

bad / expensive cable? absolutely!

3 Likes

Well, I think there is a difference between bad garbage cables, good cables and expensive “audiophile” cables. I don’t think anyone here is advocating for bad garbage. But I agree with @Souldriver that you get a quality cable like a Blue Jeans or whatever and call it a day. Going beyond that into really expensive stuff doesn’t make sense in my opinion.

BTW, I figured out what works for me when testing cables (or anything else for that matter). I expect that the changes/improvements people talk about (and companies advertise) are confirmation/expectation bias on their part. So I expect to hear no change. If I do, then I know for a fact there is a change. Not saying this is 100% effective since ultimately I’m human but, if I’m skeptical I’m less likely to be biased.

3 Likes

This is really a topic that I don’t bother arguing about too often. It’s definitely a personal choice and matter.

You definitely just need to hear and experience for yourself.

I started with Amazon and Mediabridge and when I upgraded my gear I tried Kimber and finally Cardas and I was begging that there will be no difference, but of course, there was an improvement.

8 Likes

The amount of money folks will spend to hear a cunt’s hair of extra air or the difference between 22hz as opposed to 23hz is absurd. Who am I to tell them it’s not there, they tend to be invested so heavily into the hobby that double digit percentage points of the total cost for cables and accessories are simply another part of the overall pleasure and “cost of doing business”.
High end anything is absurd and only getting worse as prices and incomes rise across the world.
I have a friend that produces specialty concerts and shows for the Indian (from India) community in the NY, NJ, Connecticut area. He deals w/ multi-million dollar sound rigs regularly and we expect to get similar sound for under $1k, $10k, $100K… :rofl: You know, “as the artist intended” and “like being there”…If you can hear the difference a speaker or power cable makes in your system more power to you. I’ve spent stupider money on less cool stuff.

3 Likes

My ears have shown me that cables can make a difference, there i said it!

5 Likes

I’ve only spent $300.00 on my most expensive cable so I’m not at liberty to make any determinations. I just can’t see spending a ton of money on a cable.

Pure silver, flexible, not too heavy and not too light with interchangeable connections is all I really want out of a cable. It’s all functionality more than sound. Most of my cables measure incredibly well too.

Balanced vs single ended can make a sizeable sound difference but I believe this is amp design dependent than having to do with the cable. True balanced output on full-size headphones can be important.

I did find a HUGE difference in 1/4" instrument cables. I swear by Mogami. I use Mogami gold for all my amp - dac interconnects.

https://www.sweetwater.com/mogami-gold/series

ROFL! I just read this. Hilarious. Exact same experience. I’ve been playing guitar for about 30 years.
This is the Mogami instrument cable I use for input into my amps and interface… I guess when you are actually playing an instrument, and you can feel the difference in the way the amp responds, that’s where cables do make a HUGE difference. In both sound/clarity and feel.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/PlatGtr12--mogami-platinum-guitar-12?mrkgadid=3274408751&mrkgcl=28&mrkgen=gpla&mrkgbflag=0&mrkgcat=accessories&acctid=21700000001645388&dskeywordid=92700046938453136&lid=92700046938453136&ds_s_kwgid=58700005283136159&ds_s_inventory_feed_id=97700000007215323&dsproductgroupid=411460338931&product_id=PlatGtr12&prodctry=US&prodlang=en&channel=online&storeid=&device=c&network=g&matchtype=&locationid=9005168&creative=249895767051&targetid=aud-924872578713%3Apla-411460338931&campaignid=1055581119&gclid=CjwKCAiAgJWABhArEiwAmNVTB1s_7sGrdvfAZv2mVp0nZsEUeba_r0vfvVkm4ZDRXv_2eDe1ZN6N5xoCRacQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

2 Likes

btw whats the limit to everyone for what is “high end” or expensive… because in my mind being told by everyone that just buy monoprice that a 5 dollar cable is enough and anything higher (30-50 dollars for RCA) is overpriced… even I as a cable defender (just for the purpose of its capitalism and so they make up things to sell), I agree that the 1000 dollar HDMI cables and stuff are way too much