šŸ”· Holo Audio May

Yup, Patreon, Subscribestar, affiliate links to at least Amazon and Apos along with YouTube monetization of 3 or 4 channels?

I wonder how close it will actually be, since Iā€™d assume the spring 3 isnā€™t going to have the much beefier psu like the may, which likely plays a big role in the mayā€™s sq (outside of the other changes in the design that will likely be carried over to the new spring like the better fpga code and improved digital side of things like usb and other changes the may had vs the spring 2)

Tim from Kitsune told me itā€™s about 95% to the Mayā€¦In addition, thereā€™s an optional pre-amp for an additional $500 which he claims is ~80% to the Serene. I saw that the May had volume buttons on its remote but havenā€™t confirmed with anyone whether it actually has a built-in pre, nor do I see an option on the website. You probably know, @M0N?

Now, Iā€™m well aware he has to sell the thing of course, but who knows - he may be genuine in his answer.

Spring 3 should be released this month if anyone is interestedā€¦

1 Like

I mean, well it would be interesting if that was the case, but realistically as a business it would make no sense to make it that good, unless it was priced closer to the May. But who knows

Now that is cool, a built in pre would be a pretty sick thing to have in a 2ch setup

Didnā€™t have a volume control on mine, so likely just reusing the same remote

Thanks for the info :+1:

1 Like

Wel if true there goes my upcoming audio purchase plans. I donā€™t need a new Dac nor a pre but that combo would be sick.

1 Like

What were your plans before the Spring? The May?

Just to add to your temptation Iā€™ll copy/paste what Tim told meā€¦

ā€œItā€™s similar to May, maybe 95% roughly
It has the exact same dac module used in May albeit May has two and is in dual mono, so the sound staging is improved a little on May. But tonally they are pretty close.
The spring3 is superb value especially with the preamp module! Only 500usd for full discrete preamp module it wonā€™t be as good as our serene preamp which was designed for May dac and to be the most transparent preamp possible. Itā€™s truly something special and will give you the most from the May dac without a doubt. Most preamps on the market will be either colored or lacking in transparency to some degree if used with the May dac.ā€

I currently have the spring 1 KTE that Iā€™m happy with. Was going to get a nice streamer (auralic aries) + Flux Volot (hp amp) + focal solo6 monitors for my desktop rig.

If I had any funds leftover a Manley Chinook tube phono was the 4th purchase this year.

Based upon what you said about the spring 3 I might want to sell my KTE, pass on the Volot and just get the spring 3 and a cheaper hp amp (say soloist 3XP) and a cheap streamer say BlueSound node.

Anyway Iā€™ve been saving for some time and am just waiting for a few releases and reviews.

2 Likes

I guess I shouldnā€™t mention that theyā€™re also coming out with a headphone amp called ā€œBlissā€ later this yearā€¦:grin:

1 Like

2 to 3 times my wage is not that better. Worse if you consider I need to ship this here and pay a 60% in taxes. So yeah, I think I wonā€™t see any Holo audio so soon. Still, thanks for the info.

I mean, if youā€™re happy with it, why bother changing it? Maybe go first to other items, then consider trying the new DAC. I donā€™t know, I prefer to enjoy what I have unless itā€™s to try something really new or different enough. That said, I am still in budget territory so maybe itā€™s just a reflection of where I am in my journey.

I guess you shouldnā€™t. After all, ignorance is Bliss. :rofl: :rofl:

2 Likes

man holo audio is my favorite audio company. beauty and brains in a sexy package. for everything. high price though. im wondering what the best bang for the buck is as far as their products. do they have a speaker amp? would the DAC change the sound the most? or would their headphone amp change the sound the most from a 200$ schiit DAC. and a iemagni amp and ncore speaker amp.

the ncore amp gives a bit too much class D sound for me, the IEmagni sounds great but is cheap OP amps based design . and the schiit modius is a neutral DAC but its either a bifrost 2 DAC upgrade or a speaker or headphone amp upgrade. im looking to add warmth and space to my gear but not warm like tubes . anyone have suggestions for holo audio components that would change the sound the most in any way from the gear i already have? i know they are ā€œtransparentā€ but it still changes sound or upgrades sound from cheaper stuff so i dont mean ā€œwarmā€ sound but i do like warm. let me know thanks. Or should i just get some denafrips ares II and their speaker amp and call it a day .

Changing sound the most out of your speakers?

My vote is on some room treatmentā€¦

If you canā€™t then the next general step would be the amp then DAC. Do take into account system synergyā€¦

And no, Holo does not make any speaker amps. Here is their product page: Holo Audio | Kitsune HiFi - HoloAudio USA

Are there any DACs that come to mind with a worthwhile built-in pre-amp? Separates are usually the way to go but maybe thereā€™s an exception I havenā€™t heard ofā€¦

There are many imo

So it depends, in some situations, right out of a volume controlled dac to power amps can give a more desirable sound, in other cases itā€™s better to have a good pre. All depends in the quality of the internal dac preamp mode and also the power amps and what they expect to be fed with

1 Like

damn,

this one isnt even that expensive (compared with the May ofc) :smiley:

To those in the US, happy 4th!

Spring 3 DAC is now ready to order for those interestedā€¦

4 Likes

Manā€¦ I want the Spring 3 KTE + preamp so badly! $3300 just isnā€™t in the cards for me right now unfortunatelyā€¦ I wonder if the preamp section will also have a HP amp out like the Serene did?

I also am not a fan of Holoā€™s website as the layout and the descriptions of packages are pretty terrible. Holo could just do for a better PR person to work on their releases to explain what improvements are made from Spring 2->3 and what is included with each level.

2 Likes

Just to add, around $3500 w/ flat-rate shippingā€¦

Nah, donā€™t think so. The spring only has one pair of balanced outs if you look at the pics. Also, if it did they would have mentioned it on the webpage I would think.

Keep in mind theyā€™re a pretty small company so they prioritize what they prioritize is what I like to think. As for the descriptions, I think it was pretty straightforward what they would offerā€¦I donā€™t see any confusion in it personally.

Just fyi the prices on this can change because of the increase in cost of components.

From the websiteā€¦

*these prices are introductory for very short time. We have tried keep prices low for as long as possible. however the usd has lost its value as well as and most importantly the cost if components has risen 30%! it is tonpir regret we are forced to increase our prices after this soft launch of this new product. multiple products will have their prices adjusted accordingly due to the major cost increases we have incurred. We truly thank all our customers who have help support our company and believed in our products. for us to continue to grow we must make this choice to increase our prices and ask our customers to please understand why this must be done. Thank you for this understanding.

Hello, has anyone tried it with a SACD drive (and which one) ?
Just wondering if the Holo May supports SACD played from a drive (via HDMI ou USB) and if so which drives (ex. PS Audio) ?
Or is it incompatible with SACD ?
I couldnā€™t find the possible configurations with specific pinout
Would be stupid to buy and Holo May DAC not compatible with my drive.
Thanks

Only day two of using the May KTE but hereā€™s how I feel atm against the TT2 (no HMS)

So the TT2 and May are definitely on the same level, imo. Both are solid. More side grades and preference imo.
I donā€™t find the TT2 too bright and I donā€™t find the May too warm.
The May offers a larger stage. Larger image of everything as well. Vocals could seem closer on the May but I think itā€™s more of the image being bigger.
The TT2 seems to hide the details more. The May brings them forward or more noticeable (this is a small difference tho, nothing here is drastic). For example, fingers sliding across strings. Itā€™s more noticeable on the May. Itā€™s still there on the TT2, just recessed some. Some could see the TT2 as being more natural in that area, probably a preference thing.
Could be a volume thing, could be poor memory but the TT2 seems to hit just a little harder in the bass. Could depend on the recording too. Hard to A/B and tell. Both do bass well. The Mayā€™s bass seems larger (thatā€™s the presentation thing). Things just seem bigger off the May.
Transients probably go to the May due to the stage. Reverb seems to just carry throughout the large stage. And depth in the stage would go to the May as well, just a little better.
May has a little more weight. Not a ton, but more.
I donā€™t know if Iā€™d say one is more natural than the other. Maybe leans towards the May? Itā€™s close.
I honestly could keept either. Maybe Iā€™m deaf? Lol

All of this is really being analytical. When I say something is better itā€™s still small. Though, the biggest difference between these two, in my chain seems to be the stage and image presentation (size). Dacs definitely play a role but these are both good imo. Wouldnā€™t be upset about having either.

Chain: PC>Holo May KTE or TT2>WA33
All music is via Roon. Some Flac, some Qobuz.
No HQplayer yet.

1 Like