šŸ”· Holo Audio May

Oh sure! Thatā€™s true of all high end audio equipment. You just described diminishing returns.

But those small differences matter to the people who buy them.

1 Like

If it helps, your response was confirmed by Abyss earlier today.

8 Likes

Interesting, where was this posted?

On his YouTube channel. They usually answer popular questions, very similarly to what PS Audio does. Today, the father was going over how he started in the audio business, by building studying and building cables.

3 Likes

No I dont think thereā€™s any impropriety here. I just think that thereā€™s a fault in his chain, maybe that funky Pi2AES or the 789 or Italian amp. I hear you need a good chain to hear these differences. Heā€™s also very skeptical about expensive DACā€™s, maybe its become psychosomatic or something lol. Maybe after years of reviewing audio his hearing has some damage. I just dont think heā€™s that kind of guy. I dont think he would care enough to falsify a review for more money. He recommended the GL2000 and I loved it, its my best headphone so far. And remember this is his forum. Kind of uncool to slag off the guy here.

1 Like

I doubt the issue is the pi2aes in terms of hardware. If you view the general Linux thread there are a few tips in there that can improve the pi. Pi 3 and pi 4 is perfectly fine for an audio streamer. Lots in common with a sonos port.

1 Like

The definition of forum is ā€œa place, meeting, or medium where ideas and views on a particular issue can be exchanged.ā€ There is no prerequisite for loyalty to a reviewer. Everybody is entitled to their opinion. I stand by mine.

Good to hear you are happy with your GL2000.

4 Likes

Pi2AES is technically very capable.

2 Likes

I had also thought that the Raspberry Pi2 might be the cause.
It is supposed to work best with a voltage of 5 volts and with the number of devices that were connected, it could possibly be a cause that the voltage was under or exceeded.
Power conditioner or not.
The second fault was probably running everything through the same socket.
Considering that there are other things running in the house.

Regarding the Raspberry, it is actually good, I was also interested in it once, but I have read that it does better with a different power supply that is supposed to be better constructed.
And after further research, a good power supply was a bit more expensive than the Raspberry itself.
For that money, I thought I could just buy a Singxer Su2 or Matrix Elements spidf 2 where I would probably get more out of it.

The ideal would be to repeat the test again with less stuff connected and ā€œcleanlyā€ connected.

1 Like

Good plan for my 50 which is coming so soon. I mean, on booze and entertainment part :wink:

1 Like

Ah ok, Iā€™m in the Zeos chat and he seems to have a lot of problems with it.

1 Like

The problem is between keyboard and chair there. There is a reason why I started a Linux thread. Some of the audio stuff with configuring pulse is buried with few examples.

Idk how much a 789 should kill the difference tbh. I dont have any holo products or a 789, but I do have a very high end r2r dap and a Micro BL, and the difference between the micro BL internal dac and the p6p ā†’ micro BL is pretty noticable (and the micro BL is only $500 and an aio portable, so by all means should have the same tier amp as the 789 in it at best)

1 Like

His issues pretty largely come from his internet fwiw.

Itā€™s a flat out terrible amp imo, and would kill any reason you would want to buy a high end dac imo. But then again, it wouldnā€™t entirely kill difference but it will minimize it for sure

Also a note on the pi2aes, the may has a pretty excellent PLL so even if you fed it with a poor quality spdif signal it should still sound pretty great (as the pll does a great job at fixing jitter issues), so the pi2aes would kinda have to be on itā€™s last leg to make it actually sound noticeably bad which probably isnā€™t happening (and if it was on itā€™s last leg it most likely wouldnā€™t even work). Even if you fed the may with the worst quality spdif signal (given it still functioned) it would not kill any difference in the end imo (might sound worse, but still different). And to a note on the sample rate, personally when running in nos mode on the dac, I donā€™t feel like using low sample rates affects the sound quality of the dac so I would rule that out as well (I donā€™t think the dac preforms worse at cd quality vs how it does on high res)

4 Likes

This is my thing right here. Yes it may realy limit the may, but it shouldnā€™t flatout remove any and all differences.

Agreed! If anything a good quality DAC should be able to extract the best possible detail from a 16/44 file. Which should illustrate more of difference, not less. Iā€™m always amazed at how much detail can be pulled from a good 16/44 recording.

1 Like

On some dacs running high res is beneficial as it better deals with or almost bypasses some of the dac filtering, but in nos mode high res does not get this benefit. A good cd quality recording can be excellent, as can a high res one, all depends on the production/mastering, and how your signal chain handles high res

1 Like

3rd. BT to my P6P ā†’ Micro BL amp sounds far better than ASIO to micro BL its self. The music mastering is the most important an then, honestly, even lots of MP3s are fine on real good dacs

EDIT: M0N makes a good point about NOS. It removing the need for the dac to oversample helps this quite a bit

Which we know in Zā€™s review he said he kept it in NOS. Which I laughed at because if he canā€™t tell the difference between DACs, no way in hell heā€™d be able to differentiate between NOS and OS modes.