Home theater setup for my parents

So my parents picked up a LG OLED 65in TV and they are using the built in audio which hurts my soul. I was able to convince them that they need a basic home theater style setup to complete their experience with that TV. They want to be able to use their xfinity remote to control everything so I am guessing ARC will be the best way to do this. I was thinking a 3.1 setup since they do want a clear voice track that is easy for them to hear. They want something that will “look good” so I’m thinking just a plain black wood vinyl/veneer. They want to spend under $1200 on the whole setup not counting cables and whatnot. I personally have the Klipsch reference line in a 2.1 setup for my home theater but I’m open to any brands.

The big issue with HT systems and acceptance for most people is the Wiring.
I have 5.1 in my living room for years, but my wife hated the cables, so I’m back to a soundbar and wireless sub.
You can certainly do a decent 3.1 at that price point.
But you should figure out what your parents are willing to put up with, Surround Receivers usually aren’t particularly small and easy to hide.

1 Like

I would be able to hide the sub cable around the edge of the room so I don’t thing we will have an issue with that and if they can control the receiver with ARC I would be able to hide it in their TV stand. And for the right left and center channels I’m not to worried about those cables.

1 Like

Then at that budget I’d start with a used 5.1 Receiver, they don’t hold their value at all.
That will let you maximize the money for speakers.

2 Likes

I’d look into that Xfinity remote. Sometimes they have some level of learning capability to serve as a universal remote. If it does, then you don’t need to go with ARC. That also opens more doors for used receivers as @Polygonhell suggests.

2 Likes

Oh good idea I didn’t even think of that! With those 2 options I’m sure I’ll be able to make it so only one remote handles everything

1 Like

What about starting with something like this? Then you can build out and get 2 connected speakers front + 1 center and use these two as wireless rear channels for a 5.1?

1 Like