Homemade cables thread!

Anyone else make their own cable(s)?
I’d love to see what people are doing, especially if it’s anything unique/creative; I’m always looking for new ideas.

Spent some time today making this balanced guy for my 6XX’s, sounds great!
Used paracord for sleeving and wound my own twisted pairs for each length of paracord. Chose to use 2.5 TRRS instead of 4-pin XLR.

5 Likes

Great shout for a thread! Haven’t built any myself other than sticking some banana plugs on some pre made speaker cables :laughing: but well up for trying some twisted beasts soon.

1 Like

I’ve been looking into making my own cables because balanced are so expensive. Can you list the parts you used to make that cable?
Another good option for someone looking to do a cheap DIY balanced cable is to take a Single ended one and replace the connector. The problem is it’s hard to know which cables are best for this since no one is doing cable tear downs.

1 Like

2 x right-angle mono 2.5 mm plugs with open-ended wires + 1 x stereo 3.5 mm plug = a right and proper 4-wire (crosstalk-minimizing) single-ended cable for the Verum 1.
Just need some paracord to wrap the long 4-wire section and something to form the left-right joining point (so far I’m thinking black zip-tie, dunno).

1 Like

No prob!
Sleeving - $5.49 (x2) - Amazon.com
2.5 TRRS - $5.99 - Amazon.com
Sen. connectors - $9.89 - https://www.ebay.com/itm/332797189154
Wires - $22.00 (for 100 feet), I used 40 - https://www.ebay.com/c/1539185948

If I only count the 40 feet of wire, this comes out to $36 for a really high quality cable. You could certainly find some cheaper connectors though and I’m sure cheaper wire too.

I will say, soldering the 2.5 mm connector nottttt fun by any means, and jamming the paracord into the end was also super annyoing (I had to enlarge the hole slightly). The result is great though. If you can use XLR instead of 2.5 that would make the build about 5x easier…

You can probably see from the picture but I ended up just tieing the chords in a knot at the y-split. I thought it was kinda hack at first but I’ve since changed my mind - I think it looks nice with the paracord and it shouldn’t affect the sound in any way.
If you don’t like that though and you don’t want to spend the money on an ebay y-splitter, I’ve used the housing of a 1/4" connector before to conceal the split, that looks fine too.

2 Likes