Hook-X Upgrade IEMs..?

Firstly, I wanna say Isabellae does almost all things very nicely. But it can definitely be too bright/emphasized/fatiguing with processed vocals and cymbals(as you would expect from Japanese audio?) in that lower treble, sadly. No singing or cymbals? No problem! (:

BASS TEXTURE:

1. Isabellae (good bit better depth and definition than Hook-X)
  2. Hook-X
  3. Meteor (very close performance to Hook-X, but feels more muddy/boomy/smeared/one-note)

SOUNDSTAGE:

1. Isabellae (nice execution of reverb, and sense of space)
  2. Meteor
  3. Hook-X (very vague dimensionality… zero depth, pretty much; only L/R/center)

Meteor sounds the most ‘off’(darkest & strangest tuned & toned) between these 3, no question. It is a strange offering.

3 Likes

Solid write-ups @CT007 ! The Meteor is something on my radar mostly due to @MMag05 falling love with them so in emphatically.

2 Likes

Stranger Things: IEM Edition

Featuring: P1 Max, Meteor and UP

Seems that two of my favorite IEMs are off and strange. Between the UP and Meteor I’ve heard both described in similar manner as @CT007 mentioned. Then the Panda is definitely the most off of the planars. Guess I like living in the off/dark side.

4 Likes

And what’s really weird is, I thought Meteor was a 1DD… Just found out it’s a 4BA! 0_0 I suppose that could (at least partially) explain the tonality and general odd sound of it. They don’t even say what driver(s) this thing uses on their product page…man.

Can anyone compare the Wu Zetian to Hook-X? Bass, spaciousness, detail, extension, fatigue, etc. Does the Zetian beat Hook-X in any of these areas…?

Ah, it seems not…

"The Raptgo Hook X is more aggressive and bold in its presentation. It’s more V-shaped than the Zetian Wu which has a more even expression. It has more bass impact, especially in the mid-bass. Hook X has better mid-bass definition and cleaner leading edges.

The Raptgo has more vibrant and articulate vocals. In comparison, Zetian Wu’s vocals are softer but they’re also more forward in the mix – unless there’s significant sub-bass in the track which tends to dominate the mids on the Wu.

The Hook X’s treble is more vigorous. It’s more energetic and has sparkle compared to the Wu. The extra treble gives Hook X faster and sharper attacks on percussion hits. In addition, it widens the soundstage further. However, that extra energy can be fatiguing over time if you’re sensitive to such an upfront treble presentation.

So, the Raptgo is more dynamic, vivacious and has better clarity. Zetian Wu is more subdued and even. A safer approach compared to the boldness of the Hook X. But for around $100 less, the Zetian Wu is a stellar performer."