How do I make sure I am not getting scammed when buying headphones?

It is best to read the fine print. PayPal’s buyer protection does not cover instances where your purchase gets lost/stolen if the seller has proof of shipment or delivery. I thought I was safe and secure when the seller neglected to insure his HD800S that I purchased, and then I read the fine print. Thankfully, UPS is competent and the HD800S arrived to my office safely. If the carrier was USPS, then I might have been shitting bricks, lol.

PayPal’s Purchase Protection program may apply when you encounter these specific problems with a transaction:

• You didn’t receive your item from a seller (referred to as an “Item Not Received” claim), or
  • You received an item, but the item isn’t what you ordered (referred to as a “Significantly Not as Described” claim).

If you believe that a transaction made through your PayPal account was not authorized by you, this type of claim is different from the Purchase Protection program, and is described below under Liability for Unauthorized Transactions and Other Errors.

Item Not Received claims

Your claim will not qualify for a refund under PayPal’s Purchase Protection program for an Item Not Received claim, if:

• You collect the item in person, or arrange for it to be collected on your behalf, including if you use PayPal in a seller’s physical store, or
  • The seller has provided proof of shipment or proof of delivery.

If the seller presents evidence that they delivered the goods to your address, PayPal may find in favor of the seller for an Item Not Received claim even if you claim you did not receive the goods.