How does the Z reviews community feel about STAX in 2020

I was watching Z Reviews headphone wall 2020 and was surprised to not see STAX there. I picked up a pair of l500s recently and love em btw great headphones (blu tac mod too).

stax are basically the “its time for overkill” headphones… zeos himself compares them to a super high end knife, they are really really good but they aren’t useful for the majority of people

1 Like

Ah I see, the wall is for the headphones everyone should consider because they do their jobs so well, STAX aren’t the every-mans headphones.

basically yeah…

the wall is the “here are the headphones i think everyone would love, the essential stuff for whatever sound you want to have”… for example if you want a fast and violent planar there is something there, something very smooth and simple, closed back, open back, dynamic, planar, the works

also other issues is he has to bend it over a huge brick AAAAND stax require an energizer and other stuff to really get going so they aren’t fitting for a wall

1 Like

Zeos has a couple of STAX but they are not in the wall. He likes the L700 and uses the iFi iESL.

1 Like

He still loves the STAX, he just doesn’t keep them on his “wall”. He keeps them on a stand under a bag to keep dust from getting into the driver.

2 Likes

Been a lifelong owner and for me they are still the gold standard…they’re one reason I can’t bring myself to spend more than £600 on any headphone/IEM cos I can get an L300+Energizer for £795…my end game would be L700+353x. Which actually isn’t that expensive compared to some of the more excotic options out there which makes me wonder why more don’t own them.
However they can be a bit Marmite for many.

1 Like

I am but a humble 95x owner, but there is something to electrostatics, they are damn good in my book. Not the most convenient though to be sure.

2 Likes

i’d be too scared to buy a STAX or KOSS electrostat because i know then i would NEVER be able to listen to any other headphone again… and i have no room because you NEED a big desktop for the energizer and the investment of a stax is so much

1 Like

I don’t know about it too much nor I ever experienced using one for myself (I would probably never will). But yeah, I guess owning a STAX like Zeos, would be a very good experience like it is a once in a lifetime, and yeah I might not be able to use my lovely headphones/earphones that have a humble background, so I have to settle on what I can get, have and love.

1 Like

Quite surprised about how people see stax as godly or the end all be all, they are pretty good headphones, but really not for everyone, nor do they invalidate or mostly outperform other flagship (or competing) headphones imo

4 Likes

Agreed. That’s the reason.

Also, he doesn’t put his HD600, HD660s and HD58X on the wall because the pressure of the block would press the pads and loosen the clamp force.

1 Like

I largely agree M0N, I wont hype since I’ve just got a 95x, but for 400$ I dont think there is anything that competes in the lower price bracket I love as much(with EQ). My Nighthawks are good, but a solid 2 lol.

1 Like

I much prefer the 95x over the l300 and l500 (assuming you have a lower end energizer), it’s imo probably the best and easiest way to get a quality estat (dekoni pads are worthwhile)

2 Likes

Just out of curiosity…how do you eq them? I love my 95/x without EQ, but im messing around with it from time to time.

@duke86fan
My only estat experience is with my 95/X, but i can say that its know problem going back to other headphones. Simply depends on the mood, like always. But its an addicting sound without a doubt.
The 95/X is definetly worth it!

3 Likes

I have a monolith 788, so I use it as a pre for the energizer(with the energizer set to max and center neutral). The 788 unit has shelf and PEQ settings, also Dirac sensaround. I typically use the various EQs to help the low end to get it to the point that it feels closer to other driver techs with weight and thickness. Its not the same but is close for me. Hope that helps. :smiley:

1 Like

but i’d need a desktop (dont have one), a good amp to mix with the energizer, a good quality DAC, and so much more to get the truly great experienec out of ear speakers… plus you kinda want to not be with other people since they are loud

1 Like

okay i see. Hopefully the time will come when the circumstances are right :slight_smile:

1 Like