How good are Pass Labs products?

I meant to type 5/9s. Sorry. The 3/5s are 5k
Canada where there is a huge markup on stuff sometimes

The pcms are 2500

I found Graham LS3/5A and LS3/5 (bigger sound maybe more bass than As) for under 4k in CA.
I personally slightly prefer the more dynamic LS3/5A Graham over the Falcon or Rogers LS3/5A versions.
The Harbeth P3ESR will be a more modern and engaging but less dynamic and neutral sounding take on the classic 3/5 design.
A 3/5 is still a very niesche sound and they are a little overpriced in Cannada.
The PMC still look like a good thing to try.

A 5/9 is realy big and I would´t use it in nearfield. You need to go midfield with them.

I’m curently looking at various PMC dealers. A lot are still closed currently due to Covid or have moved entirely online.

1 Like

I’ve listened, albeit very briefly, to other PMC speakers (the Twenty2 I think its called, I was only able to hear it once before lockdown) and I liked the sound

1 Like

If I end up getting the PMCs I can get the Bryston 4B3 (which will future proof me if I want to migrate the amp to floorstanding speakers in another room) because collectively they wont exceed my budget of 10 grand

1 Like

Bryson is great. But don’t forget the importance of a good preamp.
Sugden and PMC is a very famous combination.
Also leave some budget for good cables, speaker stands and maybe some additional room treatment.
Don’t know your preference but some would want to add a subwoofer to the Gold.

I’ll have to hear them in the setup before I decide on a subwoofer but I’ll probably get a Rel T5 or any well rated sub with good higher level connections.

I’ve been thinking about using my Dac as a preamp (as it has that function) as I save up for a bryston Preamp) Either the higher end 26 preamp or possibly their HPA1 which apparently works well.

since isolation began I’ve largely been… just not spending money. So I have a fair bit saved up. I have other expenses that may delay this (Mainly a work PC I need to build to replace my old one and new monitors)

I have about 1000 dollars set aside for cables, stands etc. the question now is do I get floorstanding stands with my limited space or desktop stands. Heck I can actually get Wall mount stands designed specifically for the DB1 Gold if I wanted

2 Likes

I forgot to ask what your opinion of the Voxative Hagens were.

1 Like

Sorry for the late answer, I had to work a lot.
I think I heard the speakers at a show once. But they didn’t really stood out and I can’t remember how they sounded.

1 Like

Sorry to Zombify this thread, but a small update. Acquiring the DB1 Gold’s have proven to be somewhat difficult. So I’ve been looking for alternatives just in cast and found the Legacy Audio Studio HDs which seem highly rated, and like the Gold’s have their origins in studio use.

1 Like