How many options are there for three way bookshelf speakers?

I’m thinking mostly passive, but we can talk about powered if there are options. budget doesn’t matter, just wondering / curious what’s out there.

A lot of Elacs, some Kefs, depending on the budget and size there’s actually quite a few. The Audiophiliac actually reviewed these today.

1 Like

Hundreds of manufacturers and models =)

It’s like a never-ending list. Just like many of us on here, you can easily get too caught up in the sea of products.

I love to research the market in my free time, I love finding out what’s out there. There are thousands of manufacturers, some active, some went bankrupt and don’t operate anymore.

You can either go with the well-known brands like KEF and Elac, or you can get sucked in by the rest of the market.

From what I have tried the Wharfdale Evo and Triangle Genese Trio can be potentially safe choices to check out

hmm. I thot most bookshelf speakers were two way, not three. I see that the tweeter and mid double back on each other due to space limitations. learned something new today! :slight_smile:

Nothing to do with space limitations. It’s all about a smooth transition at the crossover point and a more linear dispersion pattern.

In coax units (like the Elac for example), in addition to the above, they are time aligned (the acoustic center of tweeter and mid are in the same vertical plane). This of course introduces problems of its own because you get nothing for free. Namely doppler distortion.

It’s a series of compromises that you may or may not like the sound of.

Currently Genelec makes The Ones series.
https://www.genelec.com/theones
Small sized (bookshelf sized) and high performing 3-way loud speakers.

They wrote this concerning the Doppler distortion: “Genelec’s dual-concentric design stems from original research dating back to the 1990s, but the specific development of the coaxial driver employed in the 8260A started in 2007, and integrates a compact tweeter with a five-inch mid-range unit. This configuration all but eradicates the Doppler distortion problem and, as there is no physical gap between the tweeter and mid-range diaphragms, there is no discontinuity for the radiating wavefronts either. Also, the shape of the mid-range cone acts as a waveguide for the tweeter, helping to match their dispersion through the crossover region.”

Still a series of good compromises to a great end result sound.

The new elac books seem to be the bees knees with the reviewers like steve G. Saying it bests RP600m.