How on earth to wear headphones properly?

I have a problem with my headphones (2 pairs) with left right balanced not sounding normal, it sounds like the soundstage is horizontally titled to one side.

I have successfully adjusted my he400i ver. 2020 to a fairly great position (3 dimples visible on left and 4 on right) where I can enjoy it but I still can hear it’s a little tiny bit tilted.

Also I feel a little weirded out that you have to adjust left and right height with a different value to get the height you want from some headphones. (No OCD but I’m very sensitive for some reason)

Before my upgrade, I already noticed a difference with my nicer gaming headset upgrade(I come from basically trash audio before the gaming headset,I felt that it has much more detail than my trash). Until now I still can’t get it balanced at all (I did it once accidentally but it fell and readjusted :frowning:).

I know that headphones have minor differences when you move them around but when I move them alot they sound really different.

So now I wondering how on earth should I wear my headphones to get the sound that it should actually make. Should I just adjust it to my liking and stop caring? It’s really confusing as I am used to the thought that “Oh you just wear them” and it will sound as it should.

BTW my he400i ver. 2020 presses my hair and pulls it forward and it hurts after a couple 1/2 hours listening if I don’t wear it properly. Also its one hefty beast, starting to get annoyed by its weight.

Maybe the problem is not the headphones? If the volume is always louder on the same side with multiple headphones it’s probably a balance issue at the source/dac/amp. I just put my cans on so they’re comfortable and I never have balance issues.

2 Likes

It may also be your ears are the problem. Are there any frequencies that specifically sound biased to one side or is it just a general imbalance?

But before you panic, try to troubleshoot the rest of your chain first, try a different amp, dac, and even source (use your phone instead of your pc).

1 Like

I don’t really like wearing HP’s for long…speakers systems would be my first choice, second would be this :+1:

3 Likes

Uuuh, of all things the P1’s :scream:.

It is actually the in-ear that demands the most “fiddly work” until it sounds as great as it is capable.

Tips, fit in the ear, cables, amplifiers, driving force …

It sounds fantastic if everything is right, but I would not recommend it to a beginner in earphones.

3 Likes

X2…and HP wearers thought they had it tough lol

3 Likes

:rofl: :joy:

1 Like

I’d say no as I have been using my gaming headphones on all sources and it sounds like that. On my phone, laptop and ifi Zen DAC. For the he400i only the Zen DAC can power it but it sounds almost perfect, just a little off.

Also I have tried adjusting balance with software (on my phone with HS35 headphones) and it just makes things worse (not only doesn’t sound balanced but sounds odd).

Yup, tried many sources and tried software correction. Sounds same.

I’d say you might be right as my right ear while listening music is more quiet (but overall it changes the horizontal tilt) and my right ear’s helix part is kinda flattened (I think it’s called Darwin’s tubercle) because I’m born like that.

Yeah I think that might me my issue, my ear defect :weary:

Yeah I actually prefer speakers but people don’t recommend it because headphones/IEMs have more detail at the same price range.

@Mufflertape did recommend me IEMs but I started hating in ear stuff after using included phone ones for like a decade. Now @hit_the_right_note also doesn’t recommend because I’m new and you both said they are even more finicky??

I don’t know yet but my current setup is good enough for now, its just odd.

Yeah perhaps it may be better to go down the 2 channel route if it’s an ear issue. I get that you want headphones/IEMs/whatever but it may be cheaper in the long run to stop fighting it and just go with what works (speakers). You don’t need to spend a ton to have enjoyment. What’s your budget?

1 Like

Budget? Not now :joy:. I have already spent much of my savings on my first pair of he400i ver 2020 and my ifi Zen DAC.

I didn’t really realise my deformity until I started listening more and more music on over ear headphones. All my previous ones are either earbuds and on ear headphones :sweat_smile:.

So yeah, at least now I know my problem now so I can mitigate it. My initial plan was to get Edifier S360DB but yeah, didn’t get it because I wanted more detail for my first dive into the world of audiophilia.

My dream speaker setup? Probably a pair of Klipsch RP600M (quite attracted to emotiva airmotiv B1 tho and looking for something white too) with a NAD 3020 V2 and an emotiva airmotiv s8 or something bigger (I love bass).

:man_shrugging:t2: unfortunately sometimes in life we don’t know if something is for us until we try it. So headphones may not work. Big deal - you’ll never get staging out of headphones like you will with speakers. Plus you can’t listen to music during “fun times” with your significant other while wearing headphones. But you can turn the speakers on :wink:

1 Like

Nahh, I blast EDM. My parents don’t like it. I am still living with them. Yeah for headphones, you have a point. I was thinking about getting nicer pairs but I want a proper speaker setup first. Also my first goal before I even started looking for my first pair of headphones was looking for speakers because I am not really a fan of headphones in the first place.

I’m just planning to have a good enough headphone setup (which I have now) for my low res YouTube music listening (can’t afford Tidal yet) and a desk speaker setup when I actually have money to spend (will definitely build a gaming pc and have a gaming setup first).

1 Like

So you can save up and when you move out, you’re ready to go :+1:

1 Like

Wow this video is very informative, now I know what is going on.