How to drive 2000 Ω headphones?

yes…2000 Ω headphones; the Senn HD424 to be exact. my FiL brought these over from Norway when he and the family came over in the mid-70’s. he says he replaced a driver in one earcup after one of his boys blew it out.

anyhow, they’ve been sitting for who knows how long and when I took them out of the original box (yes, he has the og box too!) I found the earpads to be so old they’ve oxidized and rotted. they’re like memory foam that doesn’t relax / reset. wearing them isn’t super comfortable but what remains takes the edge off the plastic edges, etc. I just finished ordering two pairs of replacement pads from Senn for $22 CAD shipped.

anyhow, my iFi ZEN CAN seems to be driving them just fine with the gain set to the third or fourth (and last) selected…but I want to make sure I’m not damaging it by running such high impedance cans through it.

I’ve played my number one bass test track, Decaf - White Clouds and I’m impressed. currently listening to the Westworld TV show OST by Ramin Djawadi. yup…am impressed!

I need to find some replacement cables for them though. the og cables are quite stiff and have bad harmonics when touched / bumped / rubbed. I found the Senn p/n 137974, which appears to be discontinued. being honest, the stock cable is so bloody long it’s ridiculous…but right now, if anyone knows where I can find a new cable, I will be indebted.

edit - I just found og replacement cables in stock at Economik for $32…so probably grab them, unless someone finds a much shorter and usable cable. :slight_smile:

High impedances are basically never a problem. You might not have enough gain depending on the sensitivity to get them loud but you won’t damage anything.
Just think about not having anything plugged in, that’s equivalent to a very very high impedances headphone and is never an issue.
Low impedances draw more current which stresses components and produces heat. There you can get issues

1 Like

low impedance wants high current? then why are low impedance headphones / IEM recommended for use with mobile devices? they definitely aren’t high current.

Mobile devices are limited in both current and voltage. The difference is that Iems are very sensitive/efficient. With very little voltage they already get very loud. That’s why despite it’s low impedance any phone can drive them easily. You have to look at all parts in the equation.
Voltage X sensitivity results in volume
Voltage / impedance results in the current drawn at that volume.

3 Likes