How to make my mic sound better?

I use the dual omnidirectional, noise canceling microphone built into my Logitech Brio 4K. I find it does quite a good job, but is a bit sharp / tinny and wonder if there is anything I can do to tame it, make it a lil bit deeper or fuller?

Acoustically treat the room you’re using it in, and speaking closer to it are two things that come to mind.

The common thread is: if the mic picks up anything besides your voice directly (like the reverberation in your room), it will necessarily dilute your signal.

I’ve no clue why they decided to go with an omnidirectional pickup pattern since it’s a webcam and you’re probably speaking right in front of the damn thing 99.99% of the time.

Other than that…

It’s an all-in-one solution so your options are limited.

2 Likes

so no software tweaks can be done?

i did not watch, but i do know there are plenty of free ways to adjust levels of mics. eq for mics is just as real and factual as for playback.

1 Like

Maybe. But there will be trade-offs like latency. Check them out and see how you like it.

1 Like

I use equalizer APO. I do not use the peace plugin for it, which offers a visual based graphic EQ. Instead, I use reaper plugins, they offer a full on parametric EQ, which you can use either visually or via direct and precise inputs for hints like frequency, band type, bandwidth, slope, etc.

I have not noted any latency for the few videos I’ve recorded using this setup, and with some work it can really improve mic performance. You can set up noise gate in multiple methods, compression or expansion, etc, it’s a real powerful platform with negligible overhead.

2 Likes

latency would be more of an issue in live conversations. for a recording it’s a little bit easier to compensate I think. I remember back in the early 2000’s how often my Australian friends and I were interrupting each other’s thoughts because of the latency the distance introduced. :stuck_out_tongue:

When I went to work from home, I picked up a Deity V-Mic D4 Mini. It is a super cardioid ( only picks up audio near to it ), that sounds pretty decent for about $50. It was designed to go on a camera, but works great with my PC too.

1 Like