How to Read Frequency Response Graphs for Headphones

Andrew did an incredible job with this video.

Very important video for anyone getting into the hobby and take it seriously. (MODS) feel free to put this where it should be.

5 Likes

Thats great basic stuff, thanks for sharing

well this just saved me $800 on the Cascades, thanks

20Hz to 80Hz: Sub-bass
80Hz to 200Hz: Mid-bass
200Hz to 800Hz: Lower midrange
800Hz to 1,500Hz: Centre midrange
1,500Hz to 5,000Hz: Upper midrange
5,000Hz to 10,000Hz: Treble
10,000Hz+: Upper treble/”air”

from crins website its kinda easy this way for me

diyaudioheaven’s graph is the best imo.

1 Like

Well, it’s more usable in that it has more sections (why does Crinacle think there’s no such thing as upper bass, LOL), but I would disagree with DIYAH that upper mids already end at 2k. So many reviewers talk about 3-3.5k being responsible for “vocal presence” that it should definitely be included in upper mids IMO, and have lower treble start around 3.5-4k. In my struggles to EQ out sibilance I’ve found some people’s “s” sounds start to be heard around 4.5k depending on personal pronunciations, so I have to disagree with Crin that that is “upper midrange”. Sibilance means treble, so 4.5k should definitely already be called treble. So for me the mids-treble transition should be set around 4k - higher than DIYAH but lower than Crin.

1 Like

BTW, I think you meant to link this graph:

… or this page: https://diyaudioheaven.wordpress.com/tutorials/how-to-interpret-graphs/frequency-response/
(Your link just goes to the DIYAH home page.)

LE:
OK, WTF. When I look at the page I get a different graph with shifted ranges and with an “air” section that’s missing from the direct image link.

That’s a good site. I reference it often.

The top chart makes more sense to me personally. I can hear right down to 20Hz so my hearing may be slightly better than average in the low end per this chart.

If we were going off the lower chart, no one would ever be hearing sub bass what so ever. lol!

I’m treble sensitive so I wonder where my hearing drops out in the treble? Might be better than average as well.

Thanks for the charts!