How wide apart can speakers be placed before it's not nearfield anymore?

well…what about top end whisky and / or other delectable spirits?

I keep a decently stocked fairly large sized liquor cabinet full for the occasional visitor and drunkard friends but it’s easy for me to do since all I really ever imbibe in any more is the occasional oatmeal stout, nut brown ale or scottish ale…The rest/hard stuff just sits around waiting for someone to stop by…

PS wine doesn’t count, I buy/drink that by the case…

This post reads like the beginning of a dime store private eye paperback.

2 Likes

Well then, going back to the topic, i have managed to go up to 80 inches between speakers and still able to sit between them without having to distance myself far back beyond normal seating conditions. YMMV.

May I ask why you’re concerned if they’re near field or not? Are you looking at new speakers and concerned if they’re designed for it?

And a small suggestion: see what it sounds like without that silver piece of gear that’s in the center at about eye height. You may find the stage deeper.

I my mind, something like this would be considered as near-field.
Within arm’s reach of the user. I would think more speakers are bit further/wider (near mid-field?) to be able to have all gear/displays in front.

Still having the sweet spot available.

As always some compromises are made but being close to ‘guidlines’ usually is more than enough.

2 Likes