HT setup advice

Ok, teach me what I need to know about in wall or in ceiling speakers. I am open to learn. I am just looking for the best movie and gaming experience I can get out of this room. I am not attached to a brand or setup. What would you guys do in this room and why? much appreciated.

they are easy to install. they give you a cutout template with most of them, and if not its minor measuring and cutting your drywall with a knife. the tricky part is wiring. since your drywall is already up, you will have to cut a trench down the drywall for the speaker wire. mud over the wire and paint. most in wall speakers come with grills that can be painted. they are usually designed to be flush or just about flush with the wall as well.

they look very nice in the end and have very high WAF. but they take a little bit of extra work.

Also they all come with positional tweeters. so you can point the tweeter at the listening area.

edit: also forgot to mention JBL runs crazy sales on their in wall speakers a few times a year if your patient and want value. 300-400$ speakers for 60-80$. They are nice, they just make X amount and in wall doesnt sell much yet so they always have huge stock to get rid of.

i think most houses and most setups that would not be an issue to be honest. i have seen fronts and centers all over the place due to space constraints and they all sound fine for tv and games. my best friend uses a 2.1 all in one tower i got him cause he refuses to spend money on audio or let me spend it for him lol. its in the corner of his game room and sounds fine(well besides its cheap and sounds cheap lol)

edit: thats just my personal real world view on it anyways, but my town is old and most of the houses are as well. modern houses may be more reflective and absorb less sound. dont get me wrong either, the closer to the sweet spot the better, just isnt that critical for his purposes imo.

edit2: i have a coal chamber in the basement :slightly_smiling_face:

I have been in the level of fine, once. :slight_smile:
and have few friends that say and have a Sony 5.1 type satellite system is just fine for movies… or a soundbar with 2.1 audio.
Yea. right. Like asking a tramp is drinking hand disinfection any good and say yea it’s fine.
And you would rather drink hand picked the finest grapes, turned into a divine wine goddesses.

Since my HT audiosicness is bad.
i listen to effect’s and notice the flaws or errors and things that are missing in sound the “just fine” just does not cut it.
I wan’t the movie sound experience like in movies but with even better sound quality.
Dynamics, clean and clear sound with all the FR, no disturbances or errors and ultra low bass played loud! So that the 10ft wide potato sofa rumbles and shakes and goosebumps!!

No goosebumps or no eargasms… why even if not?

I agree. Not looking for “just fine”. what would you recommend. Photos of the room are posted above. along with a description of wiring schematics.

Go 6.2.4 center channel delete. Min 6in bookshelves on wall mounts inline with the top of the display in the picture. 8in ceiling atmos speakers.

This probably is the most crucial thing. What is that you and the family would want and will compromise? Like in +95% on HT setups, there is always some compromises that needs to be done.
Unless fully dedicated room and anything can be done. HT and sound first.

If there would be option to place everything on floor, everything would be much simple.
I have friends with kids and they have surround speakers on floor. Kids have been taught from the early days not to touch them. So no problem.
One of my friend has a older B&W DM series 5.1 set. Have had them for like 10years or so, will not renew them when now a 3 year old is toying around the house.
They have not been touched or had blue pen drawings. :smile:
Hard front grills also help so no pushed in dust caps or drivers.

The Front speakers would be pretty easy, wall-mount by making a small front wall with all speakers and TV:s and gear there as mounted but the rear speakers are the problem. I don’t see or can figure out any good way to do.

If floor would be the option. I would probably make everything by floor installations.
By DIY / Movable stands/wheels? Could aid on the back and near the sova, when not needed gently push them back near to wall. Where the right back speaker would also be. Stands would be so tall, with the speaker they would be visible from the sova.

To front similar speakers or Floor speakers. Center under the TV

I would bet the overall surround sound and movie / game experience would be better than near the roof.

If the floor is not a option.
Well is there any other option really then?
Wall-mounts to walls or sealing, speakers to mounts, long cables to amp and done.

Then it’s more a question.

• How hefty or Pro stands can be mounted, how much weight the wall / sealing will hold?
  • Weight the stands and wall / sealing will hold that determines what speakers are physically even possible to mounted. Speakers also needs to be able to stand mount.

Then look for speakers that can be mounted to stands and select those that sound the best if possible to test or what are the limits of budget for the speakers etc.

These hold a RP 600m just have to get at a wall stud.

They only have 10 degree angle down, id think it wont be enough if the speakers are near sealing with a guesstimate distances from picture.
The Direct sound would go over everyone and it would a bad mixture of reflections.

The G studs i have got 30 degrees and that just is enough on 10ft distance at listening position.

Id go with 1/2 way up the wall high enough away from baby yoda but low enough to create channel seperation. that high up dont see the point running surround, DSP might give out of phase error. Do a 2.1 instead.

most wall surrounds are angled…

i still think, since you are willing, in wall with some mud would be best. most of the top brands that make in wall are on one of those two sites.

edit: for your fronts anyways. for your room setup, you may have to use traditional speakers for surrounds. they have tall speaker stands you can fill with lead shot and bolt the speakers to. kids and dogs wont knock em over without some very serious effort.

edit2: and while not visually great, you can also hang the rears from wire from the ceiling and back wall.(2 down from ceiling and 1 to back/side wall). the very first 2.1 system every created was set up that way. works in a pinch if you have to.

For the opposite of “just fine” image image