Hunting for quality bass cannons

If you were to rec a headphone that does what the Hyla Sarda does. Would it be nighthawks?

I’m talking that sweet sweet bass of the Sarda. But still so clean sounding.

Since I have the Sarda, I’m kinda looking for a headphone that gives me that Sarda feeling.

I love em and I spend much time with earphones in a day. But I cannot handle IEM’s in my ear constantly. I like to switch between an over ear and in ear.

1 Like

That’s a little difficult to answer. I felt that Sarda, when driven through a good source, had amazing bass with texture. I’ve had other IEMs that would compete, but Sarda is the closest experience to a good, quick subwoofer.
As for a comparable headphone, I liked hawks a lot. In fact, I still regret selling mine. It is a fun W-shape that has a lot of impactful bass, but I would say it’s not nearly as refined as Sarda. A headphone that gets closer would likely be a ZMF Auteur/Eikon or maybe Lawton mod. The larger drivers will compensate with tons of punch and impact.

1 Like

I know @Zaphain has a fostex in particular that he enjoys and bought as a headphone equivalent to the sarda since he’s not good with IEMs. Wonder if he would recommend that one still for the closest possible sarda replacement. Also @Veritas I’m sure u can still find some hawks at good price in the used market lol I managed to snag a few at great prices too

I found some Nightowls for $150 all-in and snagged those for laughs. I still use my IEMs and speakers far more, but it’s there when I want a change of pace.

2 Likes

INTERESTING VERY INTERESTING. Didn’t know u snagged some owls

Very recently. Although, I liked Hawks more.

1 Like

Right on right on that’s still dope. Also the nightowls are something I’m on the lookout for too. Maybe because hawks were a major step up I obsessed over them and own them also bought one for a friend. But I want it’s brother too the owl so if u find another one let me know lol. I know it dosent have the dope staging properties of the hawks but still, warm can, closed back. Nice. Cheap price

That ZMF eikon might be something. Lot’s of sub bass rumble…

Mmmmm I don’t know if I would go with that one lol

Experience with it?

1 Like

I used to own an Auteur. It’s a great linear-ish headphone with good technicalities and nice punch on the bass, BUT
you will certainly pay a premium for the artisanal aspect of a ZMF. They are great to look at and present, but they are priced accordingly. The saving grace is that hold their value well and very easy to resell.

2 Likes

Yeah, had it on loan for a bit, pretty good headphone but even skipping the price to performance thing it’s sound sig is just not what I would imagine someone who just wants a bass cannon is looking for. Fairly neutral headphone with very decent bass but so are 90% oh the headphones out in the market. I prefer the LCD2pf bass over it even but I wouldn’t rec it for what OP seems to be looking for

1 Like

Yeah Eikons are not for people that want bass. They can punch and they extend down low, but it doesn’t standout.

1 Like

So then it comes down to something Fostex more or less :man_shrugging:t2:

1 Like

Yeah Fostex does good bass, Nighthawks, I really like my Klipsch HP-3.

1 Like

Or, just sticking w/ the Sarda =)

1 Like

Veritas my IEM boi doing his thing lol

Also iFi Zen DAC bass boost is amazing.

1 Like

That’s something that’s still sad to me. I Bought the highest end portable ifi product. Dosent come with a bass boost…

Yeah definitely will be listening to these for a long time. I like to have one good over ear for bass on top and I think I’m set for a bit.

There’s this Eu site selling an ex demo model of a TH900 mkii for 999. Might be a good deal then…