I am looking for a new pair of headphones, and I have no idea what to do

So I’m completely new to audio. Until recently I thought that the current headset I own was the best audio available (I have the Game Zero). It’s starting to break and I’m looking for a good pair of headphones for that. I mostly play CS:GO and other games, with casual music listening on the side. A mic won’t be needed, and I am open to buying an amp. I would say I have a max budget of 400-500 dollars. Thank you in advance.

1 Like

SENNHEISER PC38X
For more details:

Disregard the pc38x if you care for detail and music quality or want better sound from a headphone rather than a gaming headset that is slightly above the average headphone. It’s the best case for headsets… not headphones whatsoever

I’d ask first what genres of music do you prefer and what instruments do you tend to favor example, vocals, bass, cymbals, etc

I have the 600ohm beyerdynamic DT990 personally and love it for gaming, but the DT990 Pro 250ohm (a bit cheaper) paired with a JDS Labs Element 2 is pretty solid for gaming and gives you some nice headroom for adding a variety of other headphones. Pretty close to your budget. Substitute the Element for a Schiit stack Magni/Modi if it doesn’t quite fit.
https://www.amazon.com/beyerdynamic-Over-Ear-Studio-Headphones-construction/dp/B0011UB9CQ/

I’d say just get the atom stack at that point but jds does make 990 a touch brighter… I’d say liquid spark preferably otherwise schiit magni, atom, or the topping stack l30 e30

All those entry amps power the 600 ohm 990 which in terms of performance is better than 250 ohm

1 Like

I mostly listen to a variety of rock and hip hop. I am looking to go away from headsets, and just go headphones. I play games competitively, so good imaging matters a lot.

And open back is what you’re looking for? Or closed?

I can go either way. I have heard that open back is really nice, so I’m open to trying that.

AKG K712 has a great soundstage… Great audiophile pick and good for gaming.

Go with tygr, k712, dt 990, dt 770, or dt 880 for more neutral, 58x jubilee for balanced with warmth

Tygr or 990/770 would be the best choice here as they line up with your music preference

Pc38x for headset

Entry level amp and dac will fit into budget

1 Like

I really like open back. Staging feels more natural. And it’s nice to be able to hear your surroundings and hear yourself when you talk.

@Falenkor seems have some good suggestions for open and closed back

The beyers can be kinda peaky in the treble which can be good for games as you’ll hear plenty of details but can be harsh with rock music. The senn 58x should give you most of the detail you want still without being overly harsh.

I personally haven’t heard the k712 but I do have the 7xx which is pretty good. The 712 is probably a big improvement over my 7xx so that would likely be a good pick. If the 712 are like the 7xx though, they take a fair bit of power to get to a decent volume and sound their best.

I would choose between the 712, 58x or dt 880/990 suggested by @Falenkor. 770 if you prefer to stick with closed.

agreed except tygr not so much an issue… 58x or tygr I think work fantastically for rock

they are extremely similar if that helps… that particular line was just slightly different from one another… k712 and k7xx(I believe it was the drop version atleast) have more bass than k702

recommend checking the frequency charts to see which ones which… i just recall k702 being the bright one… k712 being the fun one… I forget which k7xx fits

I think I had read the that 712 has a little less bass and stages better.