I bought it so that you don't have to - HD8xx

first off, if anyone are good with EQ and can prescrive and antidote based on the measurments for me that targets the bloated bass and gutted midrange that would be awesome

first off, for the first time it started making sense to me why they advertise and sell both the 800s and the 8xx because now customers have something to fall back on if they happen to make a return, if thats even a thing. anyhow!!

so listening to this i instantly realised that the 8xx is trying to be something it is not, what Drop has clearly done is to make a COMPLETELY new headphone outside the realm of the 800s. I think that when you actually go ahead with such an aggressive tuning revamp like what this has that you soon realise why it was originally tuned like this with the chassie and materials that it had, refering to the 800s, because you have to work with the chassie and the materials that you have, with the 8xx this aspect seem to have been disregarded completely

actuall impressions

• the midrange is completely drowned out, vocals sound insanely muffled to the point where it doesnt sound like a headphone of the priceclass it’s being sold at at all! however i was able to remedy this somewhat with a simple and straighforward EQ adjustment directly targeting the 2k peak, i put an 11db bump in the vocals because thats as far as my limited knowledge could take me, but it did do something

i’d be more than happy answering any questions you may have. i think that it would be interesting to hear others viewpoints on this wheter you own the 8xx or not.

2 Likes

Sorry to hear that man and it sucks :slightly_frowning_face:…Like I’ve said before I wouldn’t touch drop as they’re as sketchy as fuck.

2 Likes

current EQ setup, reduced the adjustments a tad, it’s all i could do myself with my limited knowledge. any tips would be greatly appreciated! anyhow, hope you all are having a fantastic day, i hope that this can be of value to someone

no need to be sorry! i put myself in this position! but the thing is, they show different measurments on the product page compared to what actual reviewers have produced, that is the only gripe i have right now and ill probably try and get a refund just based on that, if i don’t, thats okay too

1 Like

Thanks for your sacrifice. I’d honestly take my Ananda over this crap.

1 Like

Why not continue here from start?

quick update.

the EQ adjustments actually helped a fair bit with getting it closer to the clarity of the original 800s. i’d like to remove the damping behind the driver as well but i dont think thats actually possible unfortunately, i assume it does something with the bass and dynamic speed of the drivers but im not sure, maybe that or thats the culprit of the gutted midrange, but it seems to respond at least decently well to the midrange adjustments, but if i had the original 800s here the story im telling may have been very very different. pinch of salt

thanks, ill do that. for any mod considering this post to be redundant go ahead and remove it, ill move on from here. sorry for any inconvinience