I hate audio never a straight answer

I love audio I’m just kidding but why can’t anybody ever give a straight answer it’s always a run around? Anyway I’m looking for speakers and an integrated amplifier I’m looking into elac Klipsch Iota vix Cambridge audio I got $1,000 to spend help out or give me a runaround LOL

$1k is a tight budget when i have no idea what you want.

Modern music with lots of artificial bass and high end or more subdued jazz and vocals or are you into old school rock and 60’s- 70’s stuff, maybe foreign stuff or recordings pre-1960? the list of preferences w/strengths and weakness is long. Do you like club thumping bass and above average volume or would you like to try and reproduce music w/ some elegance at low to moderate volume?
Is it a desk space, small room, or something bigger than 20x20? will the speakers be near a wall or do you have room to bring them forward into the room?
What is your source material? record player, cd player, SACD, computer, tablet, software, dap, what?
Are you below 30 or over, kids in the house or dorm room, apartment or home, room treatments or none?

would you like to try low power tube sound, high power SS, Hybrid of some sort, do you have preference for class A, A/B, T, D, G, or just the cheapest shit you can get your hands on?

You can spend your $1k wisely and work into something nice or I can sell you an old A/V receiver and a pair of towers that will blow your socks off for $1k plus shipping conus, shipping is expensive the amp is over 50 lbs so are the towers. so I will have to palletize them and you will need driveway drop off or a shipping dock.
Let me know.

4 Likes

you can start your journey here, much useful info, a cheap and cheerful hifi section and wonderful trading post. Read a little bit first then come back so we can get you some value for your hard earned dollars.

https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?action=circles

Here is a $1k system that actually works on a large cross section of the above, it is copied from another forum and I can speak to it’s sound quality.

"Hi all, I recently realized i spend more time in my eat-in kitchen than any room in the house and i wanted some decent clean sound on a budget. Nothing super quality, just music for when i cook and hang out doing weekly food prep and such. The kitchen is a good size, 24’ * 16’ and it opens up to another larger room and hallway. There is a perfect spot between the family room and kitchen that i figured i could use to throw some tunes from. I hung some old JBL B15’s (sealed 5 1/4 2 way) off one wall and then slapped a spare monolith 12” sub i had sitting around between them. I ordered an SMSL AD18 from massdrop, and for grins hooked up the tv too. For a tiny bit over $1000 (tv not included) the absolute nicest fill sound i could’ve asked for.

I stuffed the monolith ports with the included foam and installed a set of isolation feet on it to tighten up the bass and tame down the vibrations in the floor, cutlery, plates etc. and bam, viola, respectable volume and clarity on a budget. I understand that everyone’s idea of budget varies but i don’t think party sized sound for just about $1000 US is too bad. I am shocked that the little class D SMSL Has so much versatility for the price. The JBL’s have a tweeter i enjoy very much and due to their sealed design offer excellent tight midrange and a perfect option for wall mounting. The monolith subwoofer does exactly what it was designed for, I only wish it had high level or low level inputs that allowed me to pass the signal thru and provide a cut-off crossover frequency for the satellites. That would make it perfect it my eyes. A tiny turn of the volume knob on the sub, which is completely accessible, allows me to tune it for whichever genre i’m in the mood for. Hot for synthesized music, milder for real instruments."

Did someone say cheap ?
Jamo S805-WH pr. $249
ELAC SUB1010 $129 × 2
Yamaha RX-V4A $429

Thank you all for your replies! I listen to a wide variety of music anywhere from Japanese jazz fusion Black Sabbath even the wonderful Billie eilish LOL I think I’m going to go with Cambridge AXA 100 possibly with Klipsch rp-600m or elac ub52 . I already have a stand-alone DAC Modi 3 and a Martin Logan Dynamo 500 10 inch sub I’m leaning more towards the elac for speakers? But who knows I changed my mind like I change my underwear LOL thanks again guys

Invest in a 2nd matching sub.

The picture is a little bit stretched they are 16 in tiles but as you can see one side is wide open

1 Like

The Cambridge receiver has all you need built in including the DAC. I am not familiar w/ that particular piece or Cambridge in general but it looks like an inclusive all in one. I cannot speak to the overall sound signature of the piece though. I assume it will be fairly indicative of the price and at this price point moot.
Higher sensitivity speakers like the Klipsch may get you a bit fuller sound at low to medium volume levels in that room.

The tile on the floor though is a more reflective surface and the top end overall may come off as too bright possibly. People focus only on the walls but many times I see carpeting of some sort in treated rooms specifically for that reason. Having said this when you search for speakers keep in mind what type of highs they produce to keep in line with your room and the possible effects the tweeters will have on the sound.
I don’t see why bookshelves would an issue and having a bit of room to move them closer or further from the walls would help you get the bass you prefer depending on how the speakers are built and where the ports are located (front vs back)
The only real issue is that the sweet spot looks like it might be off center and to one side depending on where you put your chair for listening.

2 Likes

I highly recommend some room treatment with all those reflective surfaces. Rugs, hang stuff on the walls, etc.

2 Likes

Maybe the room isnt optimal for a straight audiophile.

Yamaha RX A2A ELAC 2.0 6.2. Save up for room treatment and a external amp. Warning: yamaha AVRs are known for low signal at the preouts.

Klipsch center image is good with a 65in panel in between them. Steve guttenburgs voice is dead center.