I have no clue on what I am doing in Baldur's Gate 3

Any DnD experts here? For I must confess something. I never had the opportunity back then as a kid to play a single DnD game ever in my entire life, for I never got to experience those types of games back then and it doesn’t help me a lot when DnD is a not so popular game here in my own place that I live in. The title says it all, Baldur’s Gate 3 is a masterpiece overall and I got curious about it for I wanted to try something new in my library, a type of game that I was never into in the first place for I wanted to expand my horizons when it comes to playing games.

I can see the potential of this game being a masterfully crafted one when it comes to the mechanics, gameplay, quality, story telling and among other aspects that got me into it in the first place, though I wish I have a few knowledge about DnD’s lore and basic knowledge that could help me navigate with less confusion.

The question for any of you here is this, Where do I begin? or Should I not worry much and just play the game?

1 Like

Yeah, I love that game. Play a bard with two-hand crossbows and a lot of dex. Go swords bard, and get healing word. You’ll do great things quickly.

A good build is important, but not everything. Play on easy, it’s more fun.

BG3 give players a lot of flexibility, so it’s hard to truly go wrong. I’m a DnD player and was a DM of a small table of friends, and can say the game is pretty fun. You can have a lot of different runs that do completely different things and this is very interesting.

My opinion, just play the game one time and, of you have the itch, make a different character and change your choices. And just see what happens, cause that’s the fun part.

At the very least, have a “normal” run and after try the “Dark Urges” character for some fun different options.

3 Likes

Seriously, just play the game.

I have three games going on currently and they are all completely different experiences.

• I have a Paladin in the game with my wife, and we are being very methodical and completionist.
  • I have Bard that basically talks his way out of everything, then goes back and kills the really awful people to double dip on XP. I am trying to view it like a campsite, leave it in better shape than you found it.
  • I have a game with my son where I am playing the derpiest open hand Monk, and my son is running the dialog and making most of the decisions.

I assume at some point I will try Dark Urge as a solo play, and am planning a Warlock of some sort for it.

3 Likes

This, just play. It’s easy to change your build or try new things if you feel stuck.
And for the love of god, do not be afraid to fail. I usually go out of my way not to fail checks and get the best outcomes and such, but trust me when I say that in this game you can trust the dice. If you wonder what could have been…keep it for a second or third playthrough. You also don’t need to force yourself to do everything in a single playthrough.

So my recommendation, cheesy as it may be, is to simply go with the flow.
(and a +1 to hit goes a looong way and so does stacking seemingly insignificant amounts of damage…and advantage…and cc…alright I’ll shut up now ;))

4 Likes

Thank you guys again for the suggestions, for that assures me that I am going to have a great time if I still keep going with this game. Right now I am going for a Guts-like build from Berserk, or at least try to replicate him as much as possible for the customization was a bit limited imo, but hey it’s still impressively done and probably much damn better than AAA developers lately for Larian has been doing great things from what I’ve heard of.

I guess I am just gonna play it and go with the flow, for it is really an interesting game to see and even play despite its genre not being part of my forte. Well, let’s hope it will be eventually one of my fortes for I am in need of a desperate break from AAA games that are just overall tiring at this point.

3 Likes

Look for mortisial gaming on YouTube think he made a beginners guide and class videos so you know at least for what you should look out for, otherwise just play and have fun that games has so many possibilities that you can’t truly fail and might even find so funny Storys for let’s say suboptimal play :wink:

2 Likes

To get started, you can definitely jump right into the game and learn as you play. Baldur’s Gate 3 has a learning curve, but it also offers an engaging way to pick up the mechanics and lore gradually. Don’t hesitate to experiment and make choices—you’ll learn through trial and error.

2 Likes

Yeah right now, I don’t think it’s gonna be possible for me to be playing Baldur’s Gate 3 for a while, since my motherboard for some reason decided to die one day, and right now I am still looking for a replacement for it in order to make my PC work again. In fact I do have a spare motherboard which is a B450M Bazooka Plus from MSI, surprisingly also compatible with my 5800X3D, for granted I did updated its BIOS first before I installed the CPU, but you never know since it is a very old board.

Alas, even with my spare motherboard it doesn’t have a 2nd M.2 slot for my other SSD where BG3 is installed, and I don’t want to do the trouble again of downloading it to a different drive that I have. So yeah BG3 for me would have to wait, and it sucks that my B450’s I/O shield cannot be found.

If you ever feel like rolling the dice in-game or just for fun, you can roll dice. It might not directly help with the game, but it adds a touch of randomness to your adventures!
And remember, there are plenty of online communities and guides where you can seek advice and tips if you ever feel stuck. Have a blast exploring the world of Baldur’s Gate 3, and may your journey be filled with epic adventures!