I just packed up my Zen DAC and got a little emotional

The Zen was one of my first pieces of audio equipment and my first real DAC (assuming we’re not going to count the DAC in a V20- because its a good little DAC and for what it is people apparently respect it, but you know what I mean). I got so much use out of it- running it balanced and SE out simultaneously at times, always in variable mode to use its superior to everything volume knob, True Bass, and power match that allowed me to run my SP200 on a high gain when I wanted, and allowed me to have a gain on my G111 without opening it up. I had a 4.4 to XLR, the ifi Power supply and the 4.4 to 2.5 adapter. I love it so much I would have rather poured more money into it then change to something else.

I still stand by it, but after almost 2 years it no longer fits my needs given my new amp. It’s cash better invested elsewhere and I don’t have room. I’ve sold a lot of audio equipment, but after picking it up (which I never do- it sits on my desk) I forgot how substantial and quality it was, and packing it up was like packing up a piece of myself. I hope the next owner loves it as much as I do. After all, at the end of the day, all anyone ever really needs is a Zen DAC. Here’s to you old friend.

6 Likes

I still can’t let mine go. I like ifi’s GTO transient shaping so much that I always miss it after playing with other audio toys. That punch is just so fun with some music. I wish they updated their dac to something up to date with great imaging and speed and control - I would instantly upgrade to it

1 Like

Still have mine for my laptop as mobileish listening station and for that it’s still going strong :grin:

The only thing that “replaced” my Zen Dac was my Zen Can :slight_smile:
I’ll probably keep using IFI stuff for the rest of time, unless it has a “GIMME CRACK” button its not replacing it

1 Like

Yeah, give me the Neo, without the headphone amp part. And Zen Sig doesn’t count- I want XLR out of the DAC, charge the same and refine the DAC section more and I would be sold.

1 Like

Na, i want a IFI zen DAC/can but with tubes, that would be “spicy” :smiley:

1 Like

@sebastien_chiu_iFi you’ve got your fan boys! Now just give us what we crave so badly

1 Like

y’all making me ugly cry tho

1 Like