I need direction

I have HD 6XXs and I need to know what I should get next I mostly listen to rap, and I’m not one of those bass heads okay maybe sometimes, but that’s what the DSP bass boost on the mayflower arc is for I’m still fairly new. my set up is Mayflower arc to a dark voice VIA RCA currently gonna buy tubes for the dark voice I do have an audiophile project of mine in mind, but that’s top-secret tho. I’m not worried too much about price cause I’m able to wait or accumulate funds down the road to get said headphones. Any help is appreciated.

tbh this was a little confusing… so you are looking for a pretty bassy headphone that can work on a tube amp? so basically high impedence but not a planar. can i ask why you are wanting to get a new headphone?

just want to go down the rabbit hole more. but no not bass. more like an all-around headphone

you already have an amazing all arounder headphone with the 6XX and the tube amp… just enjoy what you have right now unless you feel its doing something you don’t think is really right

don’t get me wrong I love my 6xx I just need moreeeeeeeeeeee but ill definitely take this into consideration

I’d replace the dark voice long before I replaced the 6xx.
The 6xx scales amazingly given the price with better amplification.
The Darkvoice is at best a decent entry into tube amps.

yeah but I’m not replacing anything I own unless I no longer need it or use it . but did you tube roll your dark voice and what did you get after just curious

Dark voice to me is at the bear minimum of usable tube amps.
I wouldn’t spend a lot on tubes for it, it’s not a great amp.
Pick up a Bottle Head Crack + Speedball if you want the wet sound.
SW51+ or a Tuba if you want something more refined in tubes.

I honestly am not convinced tubes are worthwhile at the Darkvoice level, to me it’s a wet uncontrolled sound that gives a false impression of what tube amps are. I love tubes but there is a certain level of expenditure you need to make to make them worth while.
I use a $3000 tube amp and I still use my 6xx (yes I own more expensive headphones I use more), But I can’t say I use any $200 tube amps.
The 6xx is a special headphone.
Nothing wrong with looking around, but I’d look for different rather than a super 6xx.

2 Likes

thank you for your help I definitely see your pov and understand i will be looking into those

Would you like to stick to tube amps or would you like a solid state amp too, because with a solid state like a THX or topping (though I don’t trust their QC) you can try out something like a planar magnetic to add a bit more bass and lower impedance stuff

1 Like

If you’re looking for a companion headphone that’ll go well on tubes etc, then a dt880 600 ohm could do very nicely for you as it is a brighter headphone with a good amount of soundstage and detail.

1 Like

thank you ill look into this

I’ll also mention that with the 600 ohm dt880, try to ignore all that talk about “needing” a speaker amp, you don’t. Mine works really nicely on my Asgard 3.

1 Like

not really looking for that right now but ill keep it in mind i most likely will soon