I want a bass heavy headphone

Only if you want too. Looks like there’s at least 1W from that unit.

1 Like

Okey cool ! Want to play with balanced too. XLR connections look horsepower. Lol
The dac sounds great on my appleTV. Bought yamaha $100 headphones from Zs suggestion. Let down on the sound but eyes opened on some tracks. I now understand why headphones are addicting.

Grab a 4.4 cable and you’ll be G2G for balanced at the headphone. Now if you’re looking for a completely balanced amp you’d be looking at the A90 or singxer. Then you’d get 1/4" TRS to xlr cables to use the existing DAC.

1 Like

Hifiman R9

Sure they dont have the resolution I would expect at 600usd but at the reduced price of 370usd its quite a easy rec esp if you are looking into bass heavy with wide soundstage and clear vocals.

2 Likes

When looking at headphones for bass is the advertised frequency response a good guide for making a purchase ?

I don’t think so. I would much more prefer a reliable review, or even look on forums. Advertised frequency response are not good at all. It is really difficult to know how a headphone sound with that.

1 Like

Interesting, there any examples of headphones that are considered bass headphones that match up with advertised frequency response ? Im learning headphones and window shopping for gear is my fav passtime…

Would use them to pick some model and than find user reviews, best with some music examples but if you are searching for bass punch scratch fr graphs

1 Like

At that price i would get a fostex T20/40/50 RP MK3 and then mod it.

2 Likes

Check out the Kennerton Gjallarhorn JM Mod Mk2. I just picked up a set and the bass is pretty special on them. Make sure it’s the JM modded verisons- the bass is pretty special, reminds me almost of the XE6 iem, but way less boomy. It’s a horn driver to replicate speakers, and I’m unsure if it does that, but it’s def special. Focal Radiance is another one with good bass, but doesn’t hit THAT hard. If you want to move up , my fave is prob the Meze Empyrean. The bass on those things is amazing (and honestly, so is everything else for my tastes).

1 Like

I would give these a try.

https://www.amazon.com/SIVGA-SV021-Over-Ear-Headphone-Rosewood/dp/B097DKVDZC?dchild=1&keywords=sivga%2BSV021&qid=1632448693&sr=8-1&linkCode=sl1&tag=zeos-20&linkId=7f3724d91bc105ab61399bc1cf1e73b4&language=en_US&ref_=as_li_ss_tl&th=1

Here is Zeos review.

(they come in black too, so don’t worry about the color being too much wood)
I watched the sound demo and these had the bass. they seem like a good choice for bass heads.

This is another one worth looking at too. Not quite as bass heavy, but still great headphones.

They are the same price.

You didn’t list a price limit, so i’m just putting things in that are 200 or below.

1 Like

Had my eye on the sivga because of the wood, fancy but at an entry price :+1:.

At what frequency does sub-bass become not audible all my subs are cheap and dont go below 30hz. Can heaphones go below 20hz and how much you have to pay for that ?

Only watched a couple DMS vids not up to speed with headphone measurement.

1 Like

There’s a couple of headphones that claim they can do ULF but really don’t bet on the feeling of authority you would get from a sub. I have a couple that handle sub base really well, LCDX and Liric. But even if I played a 20hz tone idk if I would actually hear it.
You could use a sub with open back headphones to help with the sound and feeling.

1 Like

The SV 021 is nice, the looks are defiantly top notch but they fell out of favor for me personally, they have a lot of bass but its not all the good kind, it gets bloated and kinda muddy, not all the time but enough time for me to move away for it.

P.S if you do get them you’ll probably have to bend them slightly since there is no horizontal adjustment

1 Like

Normally I dig deep into numbers and the technical side of things, but when it comes to audio i just listen and only worry about how much power it takes to run whatever headphones are in question… What I can tell you is what I have heard when listening to the sound demo’s for each of those headphones.

The SV021 definitely had the more powerful bass out of the two, I didn’t really hear distortion but that could have been connected to the tracks I was listening to at the time, I only spent about 20 minutes with them. The Rhode NTH-100 is more for mastering, but unlike most ‘mastering’ headphones, it is not painful to listen to, and is still fairly even in it’s presentation, but can still put out bass quite well too.

I suggest you take advantage of Amazon and order the SV021 and test them out. If you don’t like them, you have 30 days from whenever they arrive at your house to file a no-fuss return. Amazon will pay for your shipping both ways, and you get your money back if you don’t like them. If you have enough to splash at the NTH-100’s at the same time, then get both and compare them side-by-side. And return whichever one you don’t need.

2 Likes

My bassy headphones are the E-Mu Teaks. I’m not a basshead by any means, but I wanted a reasonably priced headphone with powerful, authoritative, boosted bass that didn’t swamp the mids or reduce overall resolution and performance to give it to me. The Teaks do all of that and they do it very well.

1 Like

I also recently had the chance to listen to the Meze 99 Noir from massdrop. That had decent bass, and it goes on sale fairly often lately. Currently it is 179 on drop. They don’t have bluetooth though.

Hifiman he-r9 are on sale for $249
https://store.hifiman.com/index.php/he-r9.html

Also, there are always ModHouse Argon’s. They are what I personally use, truly exceptional headphones, Zeos pulls these out for review purposes a lot, they are not cheap, and take a powerful amp to drive properly, but if you put Argon’s together a capable system, they rival headphones that run into the thousands of dollars. Here’s a post where I go into detail about them.

My personal system right now is the RME ADI-2 DAC, the Topping A90D, and the Argon MK3 and Argon T60RP (yes I have both, and use both regularly), I also occasionally will buy and listen to other headphones, like the Meze 99 Noir I mentioned earlier, I picked that up as a christmas gift for a family member and tested them out, they are decent too, not as good as Argons, but a lot less expensive.

The first thing I think of are the Monoprice Modern Retros with Brainwavz XL pads.

Headphones:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01M7Z0VKR
https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=16150
https://www.walmart.com/ip/176261758
Pads:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B076SGPZ2D